New addition to the herd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

metal flakes in the coolant look like bars leak rad sealant magic. Chassis looks pretty cherry, My sixty is the same colour, rear end sag and wheel tyre combo like 75% of them. The lack of heat is probably a plugged heater core combined with the thermostat. Flush it well and all should work out.

heres the poor heater performance sticky if you havent checked it out

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/341413-poor-heater-performance-check-these-threads.html

Oh and i love that hack job taillight repair! stuff like that i find hilarious and very enjoyable.

krookedpandas: I already did the switch test and motor tests, either there's a short somewhere not tripping the fuses or the relay is bad ;)

shancerlelby: I am guessing it was the tstat, the top gasket was missing, I haven't tried it cause I want to fix that fuel leak on the carb first before running the truck again since that leaks right down on hot manifolds :eek: if fixing that doesn't improve my situation i'll definitly look into flushing, boiling or coring out the rad/heater cores and brazing the leaks though.

Last edited:
a few notes:

1. There was a pinhole leak (a weep) in the top driver side of the radiator, so I added a high quality stop leak and it worked, there was no leak after that. So the metallic flake is no big deal, but you can flush and refill if it eats at you.

2. There were several previous owner tricks I solved, included removing some "u" shaped copper housing electrical wire jumping fuse connections and putting appropriate fuses in, putting an actual lid on the coolant over flow bottle, plugging in numerous unplugged sensors (reverse light, choke and 4wd lights), the list goes on. Sorry I did not catch them all.

3. When Jiffy Lube grenaded the long block (see my BJ42 forum - i put pics of the 2F in there for fun) I simply pulled the entire drive train, peeled everything off, put a good long block on the stand, re-attached all of the ancillaries, and started it up. I have done further research on the major headaches I have had with the fuel pumps and it appears that some years of the 2F had a spacer between the block and fuel pump - so that answers that mystery (well, so does a hi performance electrical in-line).

Keep up the good work, you are doing a fine job and it appears having fun.
fj601.jpg

Thanks for the info on that metal flake, glad to know it should be ok in the end. So far just the minor annoyances but nothing that can't be fixed ;)

I am going to rent a steering wheel puller and a tap set and fix both issues today(or tomorrow, undecided yet), hopefully that will be it for those issues so then it will hopefully be windshield, wipers and if it still isn't passing the sniffer hopefully just a cat but I haven't looked deeper into that yet.

Ok so I fixed the fuel leak although now it's running a bit rich and idling way high when warm so going to have to lean it out and check for binding in the linkage too. :hmm:

I did notice that the radiator has a few pinhole leaks again although it could be a leaky cap. I think i'll call around and see if someone can test it, could even replace it, it's looking a touch worn on the seal.:bang:

Last but not least I need to adjust and bleed the clutch again since it's catching in almost every gear even if I pump it a few times, 2nd seems to be the worst. For the time being I either have to time my shifts perfectly or float like a big-rig, glad I learned how to do that pretty well when I was driving OTR for 6 months :hillbilly:

Replaced cap since it wouldn't even hold 2psi, $5 for a new cap, holds but now this...:bang::bang::bang:

Pictured here is a hairline crack in the radiator. I'm gonna see if I can get it brazed but I'm guessing it's time to shop for another radiator...:censor: By the time I'm done with this thing it'll be a brand new rig.
IMG_20110108_083422.jpg

Going to replace, the brazing managed to pop 3 more leaks in the damn thing :bang:, There's a member here on mud who is parting/parted out a bunch of FJ60's and happens to have a good radiator lying around still so I'm picking that up on Tues when I have cash again.

:cheers: probably not doing any more work for the weekend, might fix the horn pin but that's about it.

...*Note: Cruiser Outfitters is awesome, I love working with Kurt and buy from him whenever I can!:bounce::bounce2:

Thanks bud, great seeing you the other day.

And we're back on track finally. Got the new radiator dropped in and buttoned up. Drove it across town and back and it got warm, too hot to touch even, and wasn't leaking anywhere :bounce::bounce:

Going to pull the steering wheel, drop in the horn plate and then maybe try to get the mixture dialed in on the carb.

:cheers:

I have two 60's the first one the thermostat was upsidedown the second one didnt even have one.
easy to check just pull the themostat housing should be really obvious.
-Johnny.

How did they do that.:doh: I thought the po of my 60 was bad

Thanks to a few searches I finally found the diagrams i'm looking for. going to grab a bunch of vac hose and see what I can't manage to pull off this weekend, going to have to replace some vtv's and probably the HAC too, Note: if anyone has any vacuum parts for an 85 let me know. I need the HAC, all the VTV's looked bad and the BVSV valves looked hosed too. (shipping to 84041 as required, will pick up from brigham city to provo, time permitting)

Shawn! It was great to meet you the other day. Love the rig.

-Jimmy (Met you at Master Muffler)

Thanks to a few searches I finally found the diagrams i'm looking for. going to grab a bunch of vac hose and see what I can't manage to pull off this weekend, going to have to replace some vtv's and probably the HAC too, Note: if anyone has any vacuum parts for an 85 let me know. I need the HAC, all the VTV's looked bad and the BVSV valves looked hosed too. (shipping to 84041 as required, will pick up from brigham city to provo, time permitting)

When I re-did the vac system on my 60 I found some working valves at some of the local pick and pull yards...but you have to keep your eye out. The pick and pull LCs around here get picked over FAST.

UG that vacuum system...UG...I feel your pain.

Ok so I ordered 30 ft of silicone vacuum line using specs from this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/33491-much-cheaper-oem-vacuum-hose.html and it is supposed to ship in the AM. Will post up when the re-line is finished.

Also I tested the wiper relay properly when I got to work and it works exactly per FSM specs. Next culprit has to be wires. I imagine it's probably the power input adapter I posted earlier, I'm going to clean the contacts again and see if I can manage to do a better job of it this time.

That's all for now :cheers:

Got most of the vacuum lines run yesterday although I've got one that needs a replacement VTV, one where I either need to replace the BVSV or route around it (for EGR) and two where I'm just not sure if/where they go. I will post pics as soon as I can since I'm not where I've got access to my pictures at the moment.

Getting closer :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom