New addition I stumbled upon: 85 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check that out.

Right now still waiting for brake parts!

Parts still on super duper back order. Waiting on some wheel cylinders.

I'd say go get a cheapie, but I went thru 3 parts store wheel cylinders before I finally got OE ones and ended that fight.

I thought about that but decided against it for that same reason. I haven't used any aftermarket ones myself but I have not heard good things about them. And these were available, plus I'm not in a big hurry.

Good news is that all has arrived and now just have to wait until they have time to do the work.

So here is my LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG term list (not in chronological order):

1. Engine rebuild/replace. Either just buy a used engine and swap straight in or take this one out and bore it, build it, headwork, cam, etc. (Will depend on funds, time, and what my ultimate plans are.)
  2. Front axle rebuild
  3. Seats. Conundrum here because do I just slap some used seats that are better quality than what I have? Aftermarket ones? Do I care about eventual harnesses?
  4. Rear window. Have to fix so I can open the tailgate, remove top, etc.
  5. Rhino line or monsta-line body? (Body is fairly beat and paint is faded.)
  6. Tires/wheels. I might just buy some wheels like I did last time so I can get the size and backspace I want. Will likely just go with a 33" tire for now so I don't have to re-gear and all that.
  7. Lift. Decided I will probably keep it simple and just go with an Ironman bolt on lift. No hanger modifications and can retain the stock steering and all that. It will likely net 2-3" of total lift. Plus I love the foam cell shocks!
  8. Roll cage. While I don't plan to be a hardcore wheeler with this truck I DO plan to take my daughter places with me so I will order a full cage. (The one that goes all the way to the back but still allows the top to go on. Probably 4xInnovations because I had that one in my crawler and really liked it.)
  9. Sliders. Not really super necessary but I don't want to beat the truck up. Will just buy some weld on ones.
  10. Car seat modification. This one might be tricky. I need to find a way to mount tabs or something to either the floor, seat frame, or eventual roll cage so that I can securely mount a car seat or booster seat. I don't trust the seat belts.
  11. Rear diff. I think the previous owner welded it. So I will have to swap it either way. I actually used to have a spare open one and I scrapped it like a dummy when I sold my crawler. So I'm thinking that I find a spare open diff, slap a lunch box locker and call it good. I will probably just leave the front open.
  12. Misc repairs. I want to just all around have the truck be functional and safe. I will try to detail any other small repairs that come up whether they are for safety, comfort, or convenience.

Like I sad this is a long term "project." If you can even call it that. Right now I am going to get the brakes sorted out, get it tagged and titled, and park it while I determine budget and next steps. The engine is leaking very badly as is the axle. Those probably need to have some priority. Also, the back window will need to be fixed pretty quickly so I can take the top off and cruise.

Contrary to what some previous would believe, that thing is a cream puff in my parts. Nice truck!

Thanks!!

Yeah it's a rust free all stock 85... I think I got a smoking deal.

Still haven't had a chance to mess with the brakes. Been slammed at work and customer cars have to come first!!!

My truck officially has brakes!! Have had a chance to drive it yet but pedal feels 1000000000x better than before.

Looks like I'm going to be putting my old house up for sale. If it sells relatively quickly I'm going to keep this 4Runner.

Plan will be to get it tightened up and in good driving condition. So, axle rebuild, engine repairs/replacement, and some front seats. I'll worry about the rest later.

I hope you don't sell it. I enjoyed reading your old build. I'd personally would try rhino lining the outside. I did monstaliner and really haven't been impressed with it. But I am going to give it another try and maybe have it sprayed on this time.

Last edited:
I have Monstaliner on my bumpers and I'm very happy with it. Two years after applying and about 15K miles, it still looks like the day I put it on. I had them sandblasted first, then applied a coat of their Chassis Saver paint under the liner. Great stuff! I scrub it with a wheel brush and SimpleGreen, looks like new.

I hope you don't sell it. I enjoyed reading your old build. I'd personally would try rhino lining the outside. I did monstaliner and really haven't been impressed with it. But I am going to give it another try and maybe have it sprayed on this time.

Thanks man. I really enjoyed the last build. I hope to keep this one and while the plan isn't to be as extreme as the last one who knows what will happen.

I have Monstaliner on my bumpers and I'm very happy with it. Two years after applying and about 15K miles, it still looks like the day I put it on. I had them sandblasted first, then applied a coat of their Chassis Saver paint under the liner. Great stuff! I scrub it with a wheel brush and SimpleGreen, looks like new.

I have heard good and bad about the lining products. I def agree that prep is crucial. I think the liner will probably be a ways down the road.

Well guys. I sold the truck. I will continue to focus on my 4th gen 4Runner. Hopefully I will have more time and money to spend on it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom