New AC compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
I may have lost my compressor....going to have someone look at it to confirm tomorrow. I would normally just let me trusted shop recommend what to get if it is out, but thought I would ask here. The system was blowing very cold air when charged, but I did have a leak and had charged it a few times before it stopped. The PO had converted it over to 134A. Any suggestions??

On my 87 fj60 I bought everything from rockauto.

The compressor was rockauto part# 7511991 and was a nippondenso 6P148A it was 321.79 then but now they show it at 405.79 so shop around. You will have to take the hose fitting off the old compressor and install on the the new unit and remove the blanks.

The other compressor they list #471132 denso for under 200.000 was NOT correct and I had to return it.

The condenser is a Denso and rockauto part# 4770154

The dryer /accumulator is Denso #4780101

I also replace the expansion valve with the Denso one they sell.

And don't forget to add the correct amount of pag oil.

Some general info regarding install of compressor:

and some info about their warranty:

When a compressor fails, it often floods the A/C system with debris. If certain parts (the orifice tube/expansion valve and drier/accumulator) are not replaced and a full system flush is not performed when installing a replacement compressor, even the best new compressor may not perform properly. For this reason, it is important to clear the system of debris and replace all of the parts that were compromised when the first compressor failed. Because improper installation leads to compressor damage, the warranty terms on A/C compressors are very specific and the warranty is valid only if these terms are followed.

General warranty terms for an A/C Compressor are the following:

In order to ensure that proper warranty credit is issued if needed, the compressor installation instructions must be adhered to. All compressor defects must show proof of purchase of an Orifice Tube/Expansion Valve, Drier, and Approved A/C System Flush, or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed using approved procedures.

For manufacturer specific warranty terms, please see the Warranties page.

Last edited:
If you are going to try this yourself here are some things to consider:

Idle up your engine to over 1k rpms with the choke while trying to get the compressor to kick on when filling. Do it on a warm high pressure day.

You do need to add pag 46 oil in the new compressor before installing. 1.4 to 1.7 oz

wear goggles or safety glasses. blowing freon in your face can wreck your eyes.

download and read 84 chassis-body fsm A/C section esp on charging and discharging pg AC 17.

If you are replacing the compressor, it is a good time to go through the whole system.
Replace all of the o-rings, parts you can etc.

Also for the dryer there are 2. 1 for R12 and 1 for R134. Make sure you get the right one for your application.
I can say this is the number for R12, Denso 4780101. This is not the correct one for R134.

From one of my earlier posts on my '86 FJ60:

"Cdan helped with ordering the Toyota R134a receiver/dryer (88471-12080). Later I purchased a Toyota pressure switch (88645-30250) from toyotapartsdeal.com; and a Denso expansion valve (475-0101), R134a service adapters, and PAG 46 oil from Coolstream."

Looks like the compressor is good. My problem seems to be with the amplifier. Will probably just jump for now until I can locate another one.

Had similar issue. My problem ended up being the expansion valve.

Total,pain to,diagnose.

I ended up replacing the entire system as I didn’t know the age of everything. Ended up discovering that the compressor and dryer I had were new. Guess I have backups.

Having a similar issue with my Fj62 AC. Two years ago it died and needed a new evaporator so I had my local repair shop convert it to R134A and do the evaporator, drier, expansion valve, fan clutch, and oil. He assured me the pump was fine. Fast forward to this year and it wasn't cooling as it should so I added some R134a myself (just enough for it to cool well) and it ran fine for a few weeks. Then it quit cooling all together. Compressor clutch will engage when I hit the 'AC' button on the dash, other than that I've done no troubleshooting. Any advise/guidance? Maybe it's just a leak and the compressor is fine? Maybe it needs a new/rebuilt compressor? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Having a similar issue with my Fj62 AC. Two years ago it died and needed a new evaporator so I had my local repair shop convert it to R134A and do the evaporator, drier, expansion valve, fan clutch, and oil. He assured me the pump was fine. Fast forward to this year and it wasn't cooling as it should so I added some R134a myself (just enough for it to cool well) and it ran fine for a few weeks. Then it quit cooling all together. Compressor clutch will engage when I hit the 'AC' button on the dash, other than that I've done no troubleshooting. Any advise/guidance? Maybe it's just a leak and the compressor is fine? Maybe it needs a new/rebuilt compressor? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

The first step would be to hook up some gauges and see what the pressures are. It would be helpful to know the static pressure and what the gauges read with the compressor engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom