New 200 roof rack option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wescott Designs has come out with a modular flat rack that adapts to the factory rails. It seems like a solid option for those that don't want the full flat rack/diving board look and the included wind fairing is a nice touch as well. You can option for the 'Heritage Edition' version for those of you with the HE trucks and the panels are available in black or bronze for the HE fellas.

$455 +$75 flat rate shipping for the standard black model and $100 more for the HE trim. I inquired about payload ratings but I'd assume that it's no different than what the factory rates it at (or very similar) given that it uses the factory side rails.

GrNaRHo.jpg

ljHmC3C.jpg

uQHmEth.jpg

mEurFe8.jpg

1U3HAi2.jpg

LhZdcJz.jpg

O2zLlwj.jpg

It looks nice and practical.

From their site it looks like that is just the price for the panels, but you need the rack part too so it is like $1430 plus shipping (more for "Heritage" branding).

It looks nice and practical.

From their site it looks like that is just the price for the panels, but you need the rack part too so it is like $1430 plus shipping (more for "Heritage" branding).

Really awesome product and exactly what I want. A bit $$$ though

Oh snap, I missed the additional charge for the rails, I guess I didn't catch that on their mobile site. Yea, that's definitely pretty steep considering what it is, but it is more along the lines of what I was looking for.

Damn this is pretty sweet for a shorter rack. Super pricey though

Christmas is right around the corner.😊

At the $500-600 price point originally stated in this thread, seems like it would be a nice option. But, functionally it doesn't seem to be any better than adding 8020 crossbars to factory rails, which is a tough sell at $1500.

What our comments make me think is that there is a cool product idea for someone to make a ~$500 aluminum tray that can easily mount between the factory crossbars to make a flat tray flush with the top of the crossbars with slots and holes for mounting and hauling stuff.

The things that deter me from many aftermarket roof rack replacement options are 1) wind noise and 2) dealing with removing the factory rack and 3) corrosion.

What our comments make me think is that there is a cool product idea for someone to make a ~$500 aluminum tray that can easily mount between the factory crossbars to make a flat tray flush with the top of the crossbars with slots and holes for mounting and hauling stuff.

The things that deter me from many aftermarket roof rack replacement options are 1) wind noise and 2) dealing with removing the factory rack and 3) corrosion.
#1 is a bit of an issue but with a decent fairing I don't think you'll get much wind noise from any rack provided you don't mount stuff to it. bumpy maxtrax, shovels, hi-lifts, etc will add a lot of noise.

#2 isn't bad, in my albeit limited experience of doing precisely 1 rack.

#3 sucks for steel, sadly. My Gamiviti has a nice powder coat but (a) it's hard to get a good PC where the grid welds to the bars so a bit of surface rust starts to form there and (b) once you scratch the PC all bets are off. FWIW I did POR15 w/ a top coat on my front bumper recently and I'm reasonably happy with it. I'll see how it holds up but if you're concerned about rust on any steel accessories I'd be highly tempted to go that route over powder coating.

That said, if you don't carry a lot on your rack or use it regularly then a full-on replacement rack is probably not a great investment. In that case if you needed something for occasional use I'd look at a basket-style rack that mounts to the factory crossbars.

I carry maxtrax when I go offroad, a christmas tree once a year, and canoes/kayaks in the summer. I need a rack like I need a hole in the head. But that never stops me from buying things I don't need. :)

I carry maxtrax when I go offroad, a christmas tree once a year, and canoes/kayaks in the summer. I need a rack like I need a hole in the head. But that never stops me from buying things I don't need. :)
Christmas tree aside, it sounds pretty close to setup. Two kayaks, maxtrax, rotopax, and a shovel... Gamiviti is the answer to the question you didn't know you needed to ask, my friend ;)

1637699442522.png

Back to the OP though, that rack looks nice to me but given the cost it would seem hard to justify to me unless you really don't want to remove the factory rails or you want that Dissent-style rack but only in a 3/4" length option perhaps

Yea I didn't catch the second charge originally, it all but eliminates on that alone. I really liked the Rhino Rack I had on the GX and I still like the look of the Prinsu but I didn't care for their QC or finish.

Interesting idea. Finally something new!

Would have been much better if it had been flat/level with the edges/side rails.

There are no photos that show how it accomodates for the shark fin...It doesn't appear to be elevated enough to clear it. Am i missing something?

Wescott Designs has come out with a modular flat rack that adapts to the factory rails. It seems like a solid option for those that don't want the full flat rack/diving board look and the included wind fairing is a nice touch as well. You can option for the 'Heritage Edition' version for those of you with the HE trucks and the panels are available in black or bronze for the HE fellas.

$455 +$75 flat rate shipping for the standard black model and $100 more for the HE trim. I inquired about payload ratings but I'd assume that it's no different than what the factory rates it at (or very similar) given that it uses the factory side rails.

GrNaRHo.jpg

ljHmC3C.jpg

uQHmEth.jpg

mEurFe8.jpg

1U3HAi2.jpg

LhZdcJz.jpg

O2zLlwj.jpg
What size meats are those? Truck looks great.

I don’t know, it’s not mine and they didn’t say but I’d assume so in reverse at full lock.

Interesting idea. Finally something new!

Would have been much better if it had been flat/level with the edges/side rails.

This is exactly what ive been looking for, a half rack that does not obstruct the sunroof.

The only drawback i see is the flange protrusion like you are saying. I wonder, if mounted to my style of rail, wether that would sit flush.
The LX '16+ rails are flush to the roof.

Also help me understand, if the factory cross rails have a weight limit of like 100-150 lbs that is due to the cross bars themselves.
The roof is supposed to support the weight of a rollover correct? Given that the rack itself is sufficient, the mounting point at the rails carry the weight, which at the roof pillars should support about anything you may want to do up there.

If this fits into the lx rail natively, im buying this ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom