New 100 series ???? (1998-2003) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sadly, my 97FZJ with 89k miles and lockers, may have met an unfortunate end . While taking the family to Big Bear, we slid 80ft down an icy road (at about 10 mph) couldn't stop or turn - I tried gas and brakes - mostly brakes. Ended up busting through a small retaining wall and while clever driving avoided some boulders and trees, the end result was stopping suddenly against a house!!! The FJ still ran fine and except for a the front frame rails most of the damage was cosmetic (thanks ARB). However insurance wants to total it. If it costs as much as they estimate to fix it I may be better off starting with a new one than pouring a lot of $ into a salvage titled vehicle. So . . . .

Is there much difference from year to year with the 100 series??? I know 2000 and later got the traction control, and that 01 and later may have navigation, but are there any other things to be concern about/look for???

PS FJC looks really cool but might not be big enough for the family and winter gear?? (2 small kids)

Thanks in advance,

Sadly, my 97FZJ with 89k miles and lockers, may have met an unfortunate end . While taking the family to Big Bear, we slid 80ft down an icy road (at about 10 mph) couldn't stop or turn - I tried gas and brakes - mostly brakes. Ended up busting through a small retaining wall and while clever driving avoided some boulders and trees, the end result was stopping suddenly against a house!!! The FJ still ran fine and except for a the front frame rails most of the damage was cosmetic (thanks ARB). However insurance wants to total it. If it costs as much as they estimate to fix it I may be better off starting with a new one than pouring a lot of $ into a salvage titled vehicle. So . . . .

Is there much difference from year to year with the 100 series??? I know 2000 and later got the traction control, and that 01 and later may have navigation, but are there any other things to be concern about/look for???

PS FJC looks really cool but might not be big enough for the family and winter gear?? (2 small kids)

Thanks in advance,

Christo Slee (Slee Offroad) has put together a nice, by model year, explanation.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm.

'00 saw the discontinuance of the rear locker and the introduction to electronic/ABS traction control and skid control (TRAC & VSC). The VSC, if you drive wet and slick roads, is a good safety feature.

Sorry to hear about the 80, but welcome to the 100 board.
The slee guide helped me out when I just shopped for a 100 and you have the major decision areas right. I opted for the 00 because of the Trac, brake assist and stronger front pinion gears. I did not go newer because I wanted some scratches and dings to go with my use - camping, skiing, 2 kids, etc. Navigation/sound replacement is easy to add for between $1000-2000 D.I.Y.
One item I did not fully realize was the tire expense, to go to 285's it is nearly $800-1000. The 90K tune is also expensive unless you D.I.Y like me. Best of luck

Sorry to hear about the 80, but welcome to the 100 board.
The slee guide helped me out when I just shopped for a 100 and you have the major decision areas right. I opted for the 00 because of the Trac, brake assist and stronger front pinion gears. I did not go newer because I wanted some scratches and dings to go with my use - camping, skiing, 2 kids, etc. Navigation/sound replacement is easy to add for between $1000-2000 D.I.Y.
One item I did not fully realize was the tire expense, to go to 285's it is nearly $800-1000. The 90K tune is also expensive unless you D.I.Y like me. Best of luck

285's will fit without lift though...

FJC would be too small for a road trip but fine for around town, IMHO. 4runner could be doable if just 4 persons and gear and no dog, but you might have to put stuff on the roof on a longer road trip. Depends how much gear. Some people bring everything but the kitchen sink. In my 100 three adults plus baby (and all that stuff for the baby), 80 lb lab in a kennel, photo gear (2 camera systems+panorama)and our gear will pack the car to the hilt. Kennel takes up most of the space (3'x2.5'x2.5').

I saw the Slee newbie guide and it is great. Some things I understood and some I was unsure of the value of, so I guess I am still wondering as to how important some of the different features are based on real world use/experience?

Thanks!

I saw the Slee newbie guide and it is great. Some things I understood and some I was unsure of the value of, so I guess I am still wondering as to how important some of the different features are based on real world use/experience?

Thanks!

Again, for family DD safety where rain, snow, ice covered roads might be driven regularly IMO the VSC would be higher priority in this scenario. FYI: Consumer Reports would not give the '98-'99 their recommendation because of the tip factor when in an emergency maneuver. Only after VSC was added in '00 did they reverse their decision. Other than that it is about budget and what is important to you. Up to '03 the engine, drivetrain and tranny were essentially the same. '03 broght the 5-speed with 4.10 diff gears.

Having said all that...I love my '99 ;)...but it sees at least 50% for off-highway/concrete usage .

Did not intend to give the impression that you needed a lift for 285's, only wanted to add: that amount of rubber is expensive to add to a used vehicle purchase and should be considered when shopping.
I love my 285's so far and I have no other mods.

275 HP in the 2006 LC. Not sure if that engine was available in the LX prior to that. I like the AHC feature especially if you take a lot of trips and load the vehicle. Even for towing, it's nice when it levels out. I also use it in parking garages and drop it in low.

If you ask about specific features it may be easier than us guessing what to comment on.

vvti wasn't available in the LX until '06, either. If you share the vehicle w/ someone else and both of you differ greatly in height, the memory seats are an invaluable feature. When my wife adjusts the driver's seat (way forward), I can't even get in the car. But w/ memory seats, you open the door, push the button and in < 10 seconds, everything (driver's seat, steering wheel, and side mirrors) is exactly how you like it except the rear view mirror. You don't need to have the key in the vehicle to recall the memory setting.

A tip: If you get the LX, have the dealer disable the automatic steering wheel retractor/extender (all lexus vehicle retract the wheel when you pull out the key, extend the wheel when you insert the key). It's needless wear and tear on the motors, and has caused premature failure of those motors in many vehicles. There are also customizable settings for the LX, like you can have all the windows and moonroof open w/ the remote, have the headlights stay on longer or shorter after locking the vehicle, etc.

I would definitely recommend a 2000+ LC/LX. The TRAC does wonders for driving in the conditions you describe. Don't rule out a used LX from a Lexus dealer especially if they offer the CPO warranty on it. Sometimes they are absurdly high, but you can also find them very reasonable - e.g. essentially the same as LC/LXs offered elsewhere with no warranty. I found the LXs at the Lexus dealer tended to be in better condition than elsewhere - they had records - they treat you like a person, and tend to deal straight forward.

Sorry about the 80, it sounds like it was in great condition. Best wishes on a replacement. The children will grow into a 100 nicely. Trips to Big Bear will be a joy. I used to go there a lot when I was growing up in So Cal.

Thanks all. My main question was proabably between 98/99 and 00+. I find that the 98/99s are much cheaper for the same mileage (more than a year might suggest)

I noticed that there were many small changes between 00 and 01, but not much in 02. Then comes 03 with slightly more power, different steering, and the 5 speed. Does the 5 speed offer better mileage? How important is the steering and gearing change? So far I am leaning toward 01 (cost vs features) and I am considering the LX, but they seem to be more $ and I have heard that maintenance is often more expensive (yes I know essentially the same vehicle).

well if you can find a decent toyota tech that has experience on the 100s, having them do the majority of your services on the LX would pay off. The only thing i would suggest is anything to do with the AHC, go through lexus, or find an ex-lexus tech like Jim_Chow did. Personally, i take my truck to the dealer because i dont know of any good independant shops around here. The only thing i do outside of the dealer is tires/oil changes.

I am also another 80 owner looking into 100... :) Just test drove 2005 LX 470, and I was impressed!!! Not the price tag! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom