Never ending axle service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is this called and is it serviceable?

tmp_9051-IMG_20150818_232307554-1806610319.jpg

tmp_9051-IMG_20150818_2323075541105273999.jpg

Picked up my circlips today (6 of them for good measure) along with a couple grinding bits for my Dremel. I'm going to see how easy it is to grind enough material away to get the shorter birfs in. I also rented the front end service tools from Advanced which made short work of the ball joints on the knuckle steering arms. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone at Cruiser Outfitters the past 2 days so I don't think I'll get my new TREs by the weekend.

I've posted on this before, can't remember when/where, but the jist is that even if you've clearanced the upper and lower areas of the ball enough that you can slide in the birf, once you assemble and properly torque down the upper and lower knuckle bearing caps, the ball will compress and close the clearances some. Maybe enough to stop the birf from fitting. I had to do this on mine, disassemble, clearance some more, reassemble, retorque. Luckily for me, I got it right the second time, and the birf went in/out no problem.

IIRC, I used a die grinder *lightly* and finished each area with a 3" roloc brown disc to smooth things out. Good luck.

That's your steering center arm. It's adjustable and rebuildable.

I've posted on this before, can't remember when/where, but the jist is that even if you've clearanced the upper and lower areas of the ball enough that you can slide in the birf, once you assemble and properly torque down the upper and lower knuckle bearing caps, the ball will compress and close the clearances some. Maybe enough to stop the birf from fitting. I had to do this on mine, disassemble, clearance some more, reassemble, retorque. Luckily for me, I got it right the second time, and the birf went in/out no problem.

IIRC, I used a die grinder *lightly* and finished each area with a 3" roloc brown disc to smooth things out. Good luck.

That's your steering center arm. It's adjustable and rebuildable.

So then I want to grind the housing down to fit, then bolt on the knuckle and make sure the birf moves around before greasing everything up?

So then I want to grind the housing down to fit, then bolt on the knuckle and make sure the birf moves around before greasing everything up?

The ball has to be ground enough so that the birf slides in and out. I only explained my circumstances so that you would be aware of that possibility. You may not have to go through what I did. I think that it certainly would be a good idea to dry fit the birf after reassembling/retorquing to see if you would need further grinding. Your situation may differ. See what others have to say. Good luck.

So apparently I needed another 30 minutes of Dremel time. As @Blue77FJ40 experienced I too had to pull this all apart since after torquing the studs down the birf no longer fit. But thanks to the heads up I test fit it first and didn't grease it up. Unfortunately I broke the grinding stone on the Dremel and had to make an 11:30pm run to Wally World to get another one. I also cross threaded a nut on a stud in my 1:00am fury to get at least one side done. And just my luck the 11mm studs are available out off B-more but the nuts are all on the West coast so it looks like this project isn't getting done until next week.

Is the torque spec for these books really 16lbs/ft? This FSM I have shows drums so maybe it's different for discs?

tmp_17053-IMG_20150821_2020062421105273999.jpg
tmp_17053-IMG_20150821_202045014940585708.jpg

Am I a genius or has everybody thought of this to torque the hub to disc bolts? I definitely did NOT think of this when doing my 80 and this task was a serious pain in the ass.

tmp_27430-IMG_20150821_2137503441105273999.jpg

Um... Does grease go bad? I got 2 tubes of the Valvoline wheel bearing grease and they both look like this. Already packed one hub and installed and the preload seems kind of tight with out a lot of torque on the spindle nut. I think I'll have a beer and see some comments before I continue on the other side.

tmp_12866-IMG_20150821_2207366121105273999.jpg

I got the hubs on last night. Unfortunately I'm missing 3 cone washers and nuts. I think I'm going to get all new hardware anyway. I assume it's all still available from Toyota.

tmp_23138-IMG_20150822_085624473_HDR1105273999.jpg
tmp_23138-IMG_20150822_085649564_HDR940585708.jpg

Is the easiest way to get at those TREs in the back to pull this bracket off the steering dohicky?

tmp_10639-IMG_20150823_1939378491105273999.jpg

Yes, pull off the steering dohicky, aka the steering dampner.
Some times you can do one at a time, but often it may be necessary to pull the tie rod relay rod assembly because the tre's are rusted in there and it is easier to do the work standing up.
1st step before removing the tre's is to measure and write down the original lengths from center to center. Then, when removing them, count the number of turns to remove each one and reinstall with the same number of turns. This should get you close, then confirm/adjust based on the recorded lengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom