Never ending axle service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iptman

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm planning on spending most of the day next Saturday, August 15th, working on my 40. The plan is to do the front axle service and swap out the Warn hubs for the used set of Aisins I bought recently. I also need to swap out belts and maybe the thermostat if I have time. My family will be out of town so I'll have room for a few trucks if anyone else wants to come over and work on theirs. I've done 3 80 series axles so I can help anyone who wants to do those. If there's enough interest I can fire up the smoker and get some meat cooking for us to munch on.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

I'm planning on spending most of the day next Saturday, August 15th, working on my 40. The plan is to do the front axle service and swap out the Warn hubs for the used set of Aisins I bought recently. I also need to swap out belts and maybe the thermostat if I have time. My family will be out of town so I'll have room for a few trucks if anyone else wants to come over and work on theirs. I've done 3 80 series axles so I can help anyone who wants to do those. If there's enough interest I can fire up the smoker and get some meat cooking for us to munch on.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Patrick,
Did you get the shorter stub birfs to go with your Aisin hubs? I think the stubs on your stock birfs will be too long.

Last edited:
Patrick,
Did you get the shorter stub birfs to go with your Aisin hubs? I think the stubs on your stock birfs will be too long.

Affirmative. The guy I bought the hubs from had a set and gave me a good price for them.

Last edited:
Patrick, are you still planning on working on your 40 on Sat? I have to help a friend move in the morning but was going to come through in the early afternoon. I don't have anything on my list of to do's, I was just going to lend a hand if you need it.

Sure am. Come on by. Anyone who'd like to come by and doesn't have my address, send me a pm.

One half of the axle broken down. Based on the caked on dirt and grease I doubt this has ever been done on this truck. But I guess on the plus side it kept the rust at bay. It'll just take me a little bit longer to clean up.

tmp_19925-IMG_20150814_231248130_HDR1105273999.jpg

Well I'm at a stopping point. I broke both circlips while separating the birfs and didn't get replacements when I bought my parts. My knuckle housings are both shimmed and on and ready for axles. Today I'll install the wheel bearings in the hub and get it greased up and ready to go.

Nice job! You seem to be on top of things but just in case...

Did you open up your housing for the larger birfs?

I thought they were just longer, no?

Mine are mini truck birfs, I'm guessing they are the same as later LC birfs.

They are slightly larger in diameter. Do a test fit while you have it apart. I had to grind a little bit the housing to allow the "flats" of the mini birf to slide in. Hopefully you will be OK.

I was planning on swapping over to the Aisin hubs which require the shorter birfs off 79+ trucks. I didn't realize the bells were bigger too. Going to see if I can find someone selling the longer body Aisin hubs off a 55.

I pulled some circlips off my spare 80 axles and they're too big. Apparently the 80 axles are larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom