Needed quality 80 series mechanic in Mi. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crush 4

SILVER Star
Threads
I know, I know I should do it myself, truth is it’s better for me time wise to make money and pay someone who is skilled to work on my rig. Support the economy!!
If you know someone let me know
Thx

In Detroit? Not sure. Many of us are on the west side of the state. If you can break away for a weekend and come over, we could get a couple of guys together and take care of it, depending on the extent of what needs done. I am willing to provide the space (barn), tools, food and drinks. @dogfishlake may be able to help out if he can break away from one of his 93 land cruisers that he is currently building...

Just throwing the option out there. If heading to the west side is not an option, maybe someone from your area will know of a great mechanic to help out.

In Detroit? Not sure. Many of us are on the west side of the state. If you can break away for a weekend and come over, we could get a couple of guys together and take care of it, depending on the extent of what needs done. I am willing to provide the space (barn), tools, food and drinks. @dogfishlake may be able to help out if he can break away from one of his 93 land cruisers that he is currently building...

Just throwing the option out there. If heading to the west side is not an option, maybe someone from your area will know of a great mechanic to help out.

93 Land Cruisers...............

I wish

93 Land Cruisers...............

I wish
Thanks guys. I’m over in the Rochester area 20 miles N of Dtown. The vehicle is a lx 450 w 40k miles. Was stored for 18 years hence the mileage. Just trying to get a baseline on what needs to get done. Did some belts, oil, trans it had original tires!! Replaced those wondering what else? I’m guessing diffs fluid
Birfs?,plugs, cap etc
I really appreciate everyone’s responses and willingness to help.

Thanks guys. I’m over in the Rochester area 20 miles N of Dtown. The vehicle is a lx 450 w 40k miles. Was stored for 18 years hence the mileage. Just trying to get a baseline on what needs to get done. Did some belts, oil, trans it had original tires!! Replaced those wondering what else? I’m guessing diffs fluid
Birfs?,plugs, cap etc
I really appreciate everyone’s responses and willingness to help.

man that's LOW mileage!
You have most of it. All of the hoses related to cooling including the pesky heater hose (PHH), the heater valve, the thermostat, new radiator cap. Those will get the engine hot in a hurry and would likely fail from sitting. The factory guage will sit in the middle "dead zone" until it is almost too hot then peg. Really stupid design intended to keep people from worrying about the guage moving. If you buy a Scanguage or Ultraguage that plugs into your OBDII plug it will give real time temperature and you can shut the truck down if it creeps above 200 degrees.

I have now seen a Cruiser radiator explode from a hot engine and faulty cap, and seen head gaskets blow from a stuck thermostat.

Also buy Toyota cap and thermostat without exception.

Looking forward to seeing your LX,

Good luck!

man that's LOW mileage!
You have most of it. All of the hoses related to cooling including the pesky heater hose (PHH), the heater valve, the thermostat, new radiator cap. Those will get the engine hot in a hurry and would likely fail from sitting. The factory guage will sit in the middle "dead zone" until it is almost too hot then peg. Really stupid design intended to keep people from worrying about the guage moving. If you buy a Scanguage or Ultraguage that plugs into your OBDII plug it will give real time temperature and you can shut the truck down if it creeps above 200 degrees.

I have now seen a Cruiser radiator explode from a hot engine and faulty cap, and seen head gaskets blow from a stuck thermostat.

Also buy Toyota cap and thermostat without exception.

Looking forward to seeing your LX,

Good luck!
Thanks. I comfortable w most stuff except birfs!!
Where is best place to buy scan gauge?
U just leave it plugged in?

Thanks. I comfortable w most stuff except birfs!!
Where is best place to buy scan gauge?
U just leave it plugged in?
Here is a pic. Do I modify ie lift tires bumpers or leave stock?

06F417B7-BA05-4E90-985A-86717C387D62.jpeg

Here is a pic. Do I modify ie lift tires bumpers or leave stock?

View attachment 2159824
You can just do the Amazon thing for the guage. I leave mine plugged right in.

That is a beautiful truck. I don't think people realize how capable an 80 series is stock. I would think the value is much better retained leaving it stock. The running boards could go and replace with oem front mud flaps (no drilling) for a tougher look. Also a 33" tire (285/75-16, or 255/85-16) will bolt right on without a lift if you want.

The Land Cruiser Museum probably would want your truck!

You can just do the Amazon thing for the guage. I leave mine plugged right in.

That is a beautiful truck. I don't think people realize how capable an 80 series is stock. I would think the value is much better retained leaving it stock. The running boards could go and replace with oem front mud flaps (no drilling) for a tougher look. Also a 33" tire (285/75-16, or 255/85-16) will bolt right on without a lift if you want.
Where is best place to buy those mud flaps ? I need one rear one too that has a gouge in it. Along that lines is there a best place online to buy OEM parts?
The rookie needs to know!!

That is showroom new. You are forbidden from driving that in the winter (salt!)

Where is best place to buy those mud flaps ? I need one rear one too that has a gouge in it. Along that lines is there a best place online to buy OEM parts?
The rookie needs to know!!
Ill get you a link

I know!! What do you guys think of fluid film and a like?
Fluid film is great. That will help a lot. My old white 80 (now owned by my sister) was super nice and a Michigan truck its whole life. Just got washed a lot in the winter.

I forgot we are talking an LX450 not a Land Cruiser. I am not as savvy whence searching parts. Places like lexuspartsnow.com are good for oem parts at 30% off or more vs. the dealership. You will just have to get good at searching pictures.

That is showroom new. You are forbidden from driving that in the winter (salt!)
I know! What do you guys think of
I forgot we are talking an LX450 not a Land Cruiser. I am not as savvy whence searching parts. Places like lexuspartsnow.com are good for oem parts at 30% off or more vs. the dealership. You will just have to get good at searching pictures.
looks like front flaps are discontinued

So, mud flaps, fender flares and body cladding are all just corrosion traps and likely to be torn off if you ever start using the truck as it was designed to be used.

I just finished cleaning up my wife’s 80 after covering all of the fender flare holes. It’s so much cleaner and looks really good with 285s.

I dont know for sure but it looks like the Land Cruiser flaps will work on an LX 450. The only difference really is the body cladding that runs down the bottom half of the doors. Another problem is that the cruiser rear flap says "land cruiser" on it which is kind of not good on an LX. The LX rear flap is probably an easy thing to find on the MUD classifieds if you did a wanted ad.

I buy most of my US based parts from here: Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

The front mud flap part number is (I am pretty sure on this, but I have a new set at home and will confirm)

76603-60011 Right side
76604-60011 Left side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom