ISO Recommendations for a Mid-Michigan Cruiser Mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in Midland, but willing to travel. Would like someone who understands our special maintenance needs and (vehicle) quirks :)

2009 LC with 220k.

That is a really good question. I don't have a great answer for you. There was some discussion about dealerships that were OK and Crown Toyota in Holland seems pretty good. That is a long hike for premium dollars for you though.

There used to be a guy at Dunning Toyota in Ann Arbor named Glen. He was the only guy my uncle would let touch his 80 series. I do not know if he is still there as they have sold to another owner. But worth a call maybe?

I am in Midland, but willing to travel. Would like someone who understands our special maintenance needs and (vehicle) quirks :)

2009 LC with 220k.
Mid Michigan id check out expedition vehicle outfitters, or find nick kalaj on Facebook (mecanixgarage on insta) he’s an extremely talented mobile mechanic.

That is a really good question. I don't have a great answer for you. There was some discussion about dealerships that were OK and Crown Toyota in Holland seems pretty good. That is a long hike for premium dollars for you though.
Roger - good intel -- thanks dogfishlake.

2009 LC with 220k.
Please followup with a post on what you find out from the input so far. Several enquiring minds want to know. For me, finding a good place to service my 200 may mean being able to keep it as I get older. FYI, I’ve had significant frustrations and in one case expensive damage from service at Spartan Toyota, Sunshine Toyota, and Grand Rapids Toyota, so don’t bother with those. Land Cruisers are rare enough that finding someone who knows their way around one is also rare.

Please followup with a post on what you find out from the input so far. Several enquiring minds want to know. For me, finding a good place to service my 200 may mean being able to keep it as I get older. FYI, I’ve had significant frustrations and in one case expensive damage from service at Spartan Toyota, Sunshine Toyota, and Grand Rapids Toyota, so don’t bother with those. Land Cruisers are rare enough that finding someone who knows their way around one is also rare.
Wow, that sucks. Disappointing to hear and bummer it’s been so frustrating for you.

I get that. I have been to one of those three and the salesperson didn't know my truck was a Land Cruiser, or even a toyota for that matter. Maybe the concept never caught on here in Michigan but Cruiser people are very rare

Will do and thanks for the notes on places to avoid.

I’ve used Sunshine for parts for my ‘00 LC, ‘97 4Runner, and my ‘16 4Runner and always had a good experience. That’s just parts sales though. They were great with my wife when she did the airbag recall. They have a 40 series and first gen 4Runner in their main showroom, so that earned points with me. My first vehicle was an ‘87 4Runner so I’m a softy for them.

I’ve used Sunshine for parts for my ‘00 LC, ‘97 4Runner, and my ‘16 4Runner and always had a good experience. That’s just parts sales though. They were great with my wife when she did the airbag recall. They have a 40 series and first gen 4Runner in their main showroom, so that earned points with me. My first vehicle was an ‘87 4Runner so I’m a softy for them.
I too have had a good experience with the Sunshine parts manager, Jody Davis. She’s been great and up until this year gave me a 25% discount. The 40 in the showroom does not translate into knowledgeable service, though. The last time I tried to have service there the first service writer I talked with didn’t know Toyota made the Land Cruiser and the second person I worked with had no idea about replacing OEM shocks on a 200. I lost confidence in their ability to get it right, given the importance of keeping the KDSS balanced while doing suspension work and torquing front suspension bolts in the right order. So I left.

Check the SE Michigan mechanic thread below - confirmed cruiserhead and a positive report from @Mi60cruzr about a shop in Monroe: Ragnarok Motors. Dennis is the person to speak with.

If you find someone competent at the Ann Arbor dealer please post - I'd be shocked but you never know.

Good luck!

I have a 1976 FJ40 with a cummins 2.8 and 5 speed that died on US23 in Flint while I'm in the process of moving from North Carolina. I'd just refueled at a Shell station and it completely quit only a couple miles further on the highway. It's at a diesel mechanic with good Google reviews, but they've had it almost 2 weeks without looking at it yet. It's been my everyday ride since I had it converted about 3 years ago so I'm a little anxious to get it going. I'd be happy to reply if these fellows can figure it out, but I know it's kind of a specialty thing with it being diesel. The mechanic in NC kinda hit the wall when he converted it and didn't want to or couldn't finish the job so the 2.8 isn't hooked up to the old dash guages. I wanted one of those new guage clusters and this diesel place in Flint says they can finish the conversion for me. Anyhow, I also want a front bumper with a winch, a rear bumper that holds my spare wheel, and a mount for my Hi-Lift jack if anyone has any shops in MI to recommend. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom