Needed: 4 Speed Tranny rebuild info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Am about to acquire a 4 speed tranny (77 FJ40) to rebuild and have for when my current one comes out. I've found a couple of rebuild kits online but none give indications of quality, i.e. best bearings, synchros, and such. If you've found a high quality kit that you believe in would be great hearing from you. Thanks!

Stock bearings are usually koyo, or at least another japanese name brand. Man-a-fre, and Heart of Texas Offroad both sell good wuality kits, as does Rick Donnelly. Rick, you out there?

The rebuild kit from SOR contains Koyo bearings as well.

..I am no longer supplying parts and I endorse robert at heart of texas for most things like these kits. Synchros are not normally included and the aftermarket suck- so buy OEM. The downside is kitting etc a 4sp (H42, 3.55:1 first) is a money looser. If you must have a 4sp Toyota do so, otherwise consider a gm 4sp or H55 upgrade (H41's are far too rare).

Find a better used 4sp with less miles/wear- should be under $100.

I second the suggestion of just getting a good used one. It is a money loser and they are a PITA to rebuild because of the ball bearing on the front of the counter shaft requires a special puller or a lot of patience and the BFH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom