Needed: 4 Speed Tranny rebuild info

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Rice, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Rice

Rice

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi all. Am about to acquire a 4 speed tranny (77 FJ40) to rebuild and have for when my current one comes out. I've found a couple of rebuild kits online but none give indications of quality, i.e. best bearings, synchros, and such. If you've found a high quality kit that you believe in would be great hearing from you. Thanks!

2. Chef

Chef

Stock bearings are usually koyo, or at least another japanese name brand. Man-a-fre, and Heart of Texas Offroad both sell good wuality kits, as does Rick Donnelly. Rick, you out there?

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    The rebuild kit from SOR contains Koyo bearings as well.

4. rick_d

rick_d

..I am no longer supplying parts and I endorse robert at heart of texas for most things like these kits. Synchros are not normally included and the aftermarket suck- so buy OEM. The downside is kitting etc a 4sp (H42, 3.55:1 first) is a money looser. If you must have a 4sp Toyota do so, otherwise consider a gm 4sp or H55 upgrade (H41's are far too rare).

Find a better used 4sp with less miles/wear- should be under $100.

5. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

I second the suggestion of just getting a good used one. It is a money loser and they are a PITA to rebuild because of the ball bearing on the front of the counter shaft requires a special puller or a lot of patience and the BFH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.