Need to replace my starter.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '74 Fand a half, 3 speed(not that makes any difference) and my starter is dragging. Will any starter fit?
Looking at a GR starter.
Help??? ??? ???
Ed Long

I think any starter all the way to a 3f will work. (I think late 2F's-3F's are GR). Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chip in.
Might want to check all your connections and your battery before you put on a new starter. Might want to check the solenoid as well.

go with GR starter, it will bolt right up and have alot more balls than the old non GR. I had to leave one wire off when i put it on my 67, the wire gives the coil a full 12volt when starting, it's not really needed IMOP anyway, I'm sure you can rig the wire up to work......but I didn't bother. You need a starter from a 6/82+ fj40/60/62 ect. About $140 new OEM, actaully cheaper than a non GR unit. I believe if you call the dealer and ask for a starter for a 74 they will hand you a GR starter anyway, I think it the standard replacement now. Or find a used GR started and rebuild it. BTW the GR wieghs ALOT less than the non GR.

John h

BTW the GR unit from the dealer will be a re-man but its just as good as a new unit, it will have -84 at the end of the part number, this tells ya its a re-man.

John H

hate to be stupid, but what is GR?

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=6474;start=msg52543#msg52543 date=1066581864]
hate to be stupid, but what is GR?

[/quote]
Gear Reduction.
Gives the starter extra oomph without sucking a lot of juice. Lessens load on starter as well, should theoretically last longer.

Thanks eva body. You told me what I need to know. I can buy yhr thing from Toyota for $140-50 BUT they want a $30 core charge. I'm still working on it. BTW, they won't take my old starter for the core.
Thanks,
ED Long :)

what? they won't take your starter? that's crazy. i mean, it's a core, come on.

oh, and thanks bailey, that makes sense.

jonathan

Go down to a starter shop and pay about $2 for new contacts and pull it apart and replace IMHO.

Well, Junkie, that makes sense, too. Before it took a dump, it started the cruiser just fine. I've got a HEI and just rebuilt my carb. And with that WHOPPING 7.5:1 compression, it ain't exactly a diesel. May go that way on the cheap, but I'm suspecting it may be the armature. In that case, the brushes alone won't help.
BTW the GR starter is a whole 'nother animal than the original, so that's why they won't allow me credit for my core.

Ed :)

does anyone know what an aftermarket GR starter goes for? I don't like to buy OEM

- Rico.

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=6474;start=msg54692#msg54692 date=1066971015]
does anyone know what an aftermarket GR starter goes for? I don't like to buy OEM

- Rico.
[/quote]
Any particular reason? With Toyota at least, many times there is nothing that will beat OEM price or quality wise. Almost never quality wise.
Mean suck Green's are about $300. Waste of money.

I got mine from JTOutfitters and it is a bosch remanned GR. I have had no problem with it, and it definitely turns the motor better.. You can even use the starter to move the rig if you have too! I used mine to drive out of a ditch I stalled out in.

Mike

[quote author=offcamber40 link=board=1;threadid=6474;start=msg54770#msg54770 date=1066995416]
I got mine from JTOutfitters and it is a bosch remanned GR. I have had no problem with it, and it definitely turns the motor better.. You can even use the starter to move the rig if you have too! I used mine to drive out of a ditch I stalled out in.

Mike

[/quote]

Bosch re-ram stuff is very good, I would use it and have. Put a Bosch re-ma starter in my fj80 5+ years ago and it's still going.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom