Need to replace my starter....

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Degnol, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I've got a '74 Fand a half, 3 speed(not that makes any difference) and my starter is dragging. Will any starter fit?
    Looking at a GR starter.
    Help??? ??? ???
    Ed Long

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I think any starter all the way to a 3f will work. (I think late 2F's-3F's are GR). Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chip in.
    Might want to check all your connections and your battery before you put on a new starter. Might want to check the solenoid as well.

3. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    go with GR starter, it will bolt right up and have alot more balls than the old non GR. I had to leave one wire off when i put it on my 67, the wire gives the coil a full 12volt when starting, it's not really needed IMOP anyway, I'm sure you can rig the wire up to work......but I didn't bother. You need a starter from a 6/82+ fj40/60/62 ect. About $140 new OEM, actaully cheaper than a non GR unit. I believe if you call the dealer and ask for a starter for a 74 they will hand you a GR starter anyway, I think it the standard replacement now. Or find a used GR started and rebuild it. BTW the GR wieghs ALOT less than the non GR.

John h

4. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    BTW the GR unit from the dealer will be a re-man but its just as good as a new unit, it will have -84 at the end of the part number, this tells ya its a re-man.

John H

5. 72cruiser

72cruiser

hate to be stupid, but what is GR?

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=6474;start=msg52543#msg52543 date=1066581864]
    hate to be stupid, but what is GR?

[/quote]
    Gear Reduction.
    Gives the starter extra oomph without sucking a lot of juice. Lessens load on starter as well, should theoretically last longer.

7. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks eva body. You told me what I need to know. I can buy yhr thing from Toyota for $140-50 BUT they want a $30 core charge. I'm still working on it. BTW, they won't take my old starter for the core.
    Thanks,
    ED Long :)

8. 72cruiser

72cruiser

what? they won't take your starter? that's crazy. i mean, it's a core, come on.

oh, and thanks bailey, that makes sense.

jonathan

9. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    Go down to a starter shop and pay about $2 for new contacts and pull it apart and replace IMHO.

10. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, Junkie, that makes sense, too. Before it took a dump, it started the cruiser just fine. I've got a HEI and just rebuilt my carb. And with that WHOPPING 7.5:1 compression, it ain't exactly a diesel. May go that way on the cheap, but I'm suspecting it may be the armature. In that case, the brushes alone won't help.
    BTW the GR starter is a whole 'nother animal than the original, so that's why they won't allow me credit for my core.

Ed :)

11. tlcgear

tlcgear

does anyone know what an aftermarket GR starter goes for? I don't like to buy OEM

- Rico.

12. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=6474;start=msg54692#msg54692 date=1066971015]
    does anyone know what an aftermarket GR starter goes for? I don't like to buy OEM

- Rico.
    [/quote]
    Any particular reason? With Toyota at least, many times there is nothing that will beat OEM price or quality wise. Almost never quality wise.
    Mean suck Green's are about $300. Waste of money.

13. offcamber40

offcamber40

I got mine from JTOutfitters and it is a bosch remanned GR. I have had no problem with it, and it definitely turns the motor better.. You can even use the starter to move the rig if you have too! I used mine to drive out of a ditch I stalled out in.

Mike

14. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    [quote author=offcamber40 link=board=1;threadid=6474;start=msg54770#msg54770 date=1066995416]
    I got mine from JTOutfitters and it is a bosch remanned GR. I have had no problem with it, and it definitely turns the motor better.. You can even use the starter to move the rig if you have too! I used mine to drive out of a ditch I stalled out in.

Mike

[/quote]

Bosch re-ram stuff is very good, I would use it and have. Put a Bosch re-ma starter in my fj80 5+ years ago and it's still going.

John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.