Need to jack her up for over a week (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to put my 200 on jack stands for a week to 10 days to remove the wheels to have them powder coated. Do I place the jack stands at the 4 lift points? I don’t want to warp anything by having it up so long on 4 points. Thank you.

The problem with using any point on the control arms not right at the inner pivot is their tendency to move in an arc as the suspension compresses again. Those holes will move outward and can push a jack stand over.

If you drop the skid plates there is a lot of solid crossmember under there to work with. Alternately if your stands are tall you can use the bolt heads that attach the tow hooks to the frame. That is generally what I use when stabilizing the front of my cruiser.

I’d personally go with the rear axle and as far forward on the frame as possible. There’s no worry with warping anything by leaving it up on stands for a week or years as long as you use points on the frame or rear axle.

Technically “years” (or any very long time.. how much I wouldn’t know) could cause front suspension bushings to tear from the twisting motion applied to the molded rubber when the arms are dropped out. This is why they must be torqued at ride height after any suspension work that requires loosening those bolts, or a significant change in ride height.

Rear shouldn’t suffer the same fate if supported under the axle.

I see no reason not to put the jacks under the frame. You can leave it for years with no adverse effects.

I see no reason not to put the jacks under the frame. You can leave it for years with no adverse effects.
Years MIGHT cause an issue with a few bushings, but for a few weeks/months I wouldn't even think twice about leaving it on jackstands under the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom