Need to get a pneumatic nail gun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one of these things for my bathroom and bedroom remodelling project. I went to Hell Depot and noticed that, suprisingly, these things are quite light weight. I found two that I liked. These are straight (no angle) finishing nail guns. One was made by Rigid and the other one was made by Porter Cable. They're both the same price at around $190. Unfortunately, I like both brands and own a couple of P.C. tools. Any thoughts? Perhaps, I should look into a refurbed P.C. or Rigid tool as my first nailer?

:beer:

I bought the PC set that included a brad nailer, a finish nailer and small pancake compressor for about 300 dollars. It all works OK. I can't understand how someone would attempt to do crown molding without one. If I was only running a couple or rooms of baseboard, I would skip it and save my money. Plus the small compressor will also run my framing nailer, although it runs out of gas (litterally) at high speeds.

I would also consider the bostic and senco nailers.

If your doing a bathroom, a nice tile saw may be more useful.

Thanks for the input.

I have the Porter Cable Framing Nailer and it's very nice and very tough. I know your looking at a finishing nail gun but if you need my framing gun you are more than welcome to it.

Scott,

Thanksf for the offer. I may take you up on that....once I find a project to use it on!!

Ali

alia176 said:
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one of these things for my bathroom and bedroom remodelling project. I went to Hell Depot and noticed that, suprisingly, these things are quite light weight. I found two that I liked. These are straight (no angle) finishing nail guns. One was made by Rigid and the other one was made by Porter Cable. They're both the same price at around $190. Unfortunately, I like both brands and own a couple of P.C. tools. Any thoughts? Perhaps, I should look into a refurbed P.C. or Rigid tool as my first nailer?

Cheers , For $190.00 you should be able to pick up a good Senco or Bostitch finishing gun on Ebay. If you end up getting a framing gun later check your building code as a few of your states require round head nails to be used in framing. :cheers:

I have a Senco pin gun that I use for finish work. Very good quality and durability.

I have bought enough tools and lived long enough to learn that good tools are way cheaper than cheap tools.

M

I use a PC fn250B along with my Powertank. My favorite tool for remodeling projects. I picked it up online for about 150.00 with 2" and 1" nails.

Vince

alia176 said:
Scott,

Thanksf for the offer. I may take you up on that....once I find a project to use it on!!

Ali
Anytime Ashfaq... and if your married like me (and I know you are) then theres always another project on the "Honey-Do list" :D

Also look into the Paslode tools. I have the framing nailer (FR350, IIRC) and the trim nailer (angled).

Once you do a few trim projects you're going to be wishing you had the angled one. Trust me.

I built a house for my family last year (timber frame) and these two tools were indespensible.

Once you get used to not having a compressor it is hard to go back. I haven't used my porter cable pneumatic framing nailer in over a year.

Charlie

Alia,
I'm in the hardwood flooring business. I have a pneumatic bostitch, gas/battery powered paslode, and a PC. All are finish guns. If I am doing a repair or running quarter round I go for the gas/battery paslode. If I am doing a big job I go for the pnuematic bostitch. The PC is to big, uses way too much air, and broke the driver after only two months. I have had the pneumatic bostitch for 5 years and have never had to rebuild it. A side note on the gas/battery paslode, if I was not in the hardwood flooring business I would never buy one of these guns. They are to expensive, need regular maintenence to work properly and more often than not if the battery is not dead then the gas pack needs to be replaced.

Brad

Buy the Hitachi. I am a Safety Officer with a major framing company. We employ over 1600 framers in NorCal alone and everyone runs the Hitachi NR83A or A2. For every 200-300 Hitachis I see, I might come across 1 Porter Cable or Senco. We make our living with our tools and nothing comes close to the quality or durability of the Hitachi framing gun.

I have to inspect the nailers to make sure that the safety spring is in place (some guys remove the spring to try to speed things up, but OSHA requires the spring, and the spring prevents people from getting killed). I inspect around 50-60 guns a day, and they are almost always Hitachis. Using anything else on our jobs usually gets the same approval as you'd get showing up in a pink chromed out, lowered Jeep, at a TLCA sponsered event.

alia176 said:

Make all your cuts and do a dry run, then rent a gun for like $20 for 24 hours. Save that $170 and put it towards your rig.
Jake

I bought a used Hitachi off ebay. It works great. I did have to get my technique worked out though, its very easy to fire two nails instead of one. The thing is rated at something like 3 nails/second and I believe it.

White shark, any preference between the NR83, NR83A and NR83A2? I am looking on Ebay and all three are available,

I have been reading and it seams that the A2 has a selectable trigger? it seams to me selectable would be best? especially starting out?

I read this from another comment that contradicts that,

well like most things someone will take something like the NR83 which is THE BEST FRAMER MADE and turn it in to NR83A2/NR83A which are sub standerd guns compared to the nr83
my reasons are this
nr83a2 offers a depth of drive whitch is a joke and wont preform its one use it could be used for (shear nailing)
they redesigned the nose pice which causes the gun to catch on the work surface while bump nailing floors and walls
safety springs are not removeable which shouldnt be done but there are times like toe nailing blocking where it makes it safer to have them removed also they changed the magazeine which now impares you from instaling a standerd saw hook which is a must my last complaint is the rapid fire or single shot selecter can and will break leaveing you left in single shot mode. these guns will work but its a big disapointment to me and many others. Hitachi you need to get your s*** togther

what you should do is
go to your local pawn shop and buy a used NR83 for half the price of these new guns or go on ebay then buy a flush tip for it you can buy these from bigfoot tools.
one used NR83 is better than three new style guns

It seams this guy is PO'd about the safety equipment, is that valid? for me it seams the more safety stuff the better for a tool like this? or does it truly get in the way? I don't think I would notice the difference in speed,

another vote for hitachi, superior gun in every way, but thats for a framer. i avoid porter cable whenever possible. for finish guns, i've had great luck with sencos.

i took a leap of faith last year and bought a ridgid 18v kit, as i needed a new cordless kit. been overjoyed with the brands quality and later bought their 12" sliding miter saw and have had great success with that as well. picking up their worm drive this weekend so needless to say, thus far i am sold on them. i believe i'll be trying their pneumatics here shortly. well finish guns atleast. no brand can hold a candle to a hitachi framer.

I would stay away from porter cable guns. I do hardwood staircases and use a 16ga finish nailer every day. I've gone through several PC guns in the past couple years and they always used to sell rebuild kits for the guts when the driver broke or it started leaking. PC no longer offers this. They were recently sold to another company i'm told, can't remember which one though.

Last go round i opted for a senco 16ga finish gun. OK gun. the loading mechanism is really hokey and awkward, but it's solid. can't go too far wrong with senco. in my estimation, the 16ga finish nailer that will take 2" min nails is one of the most versatile minor home improvement tools out there. my dad just picked one up and just loves having a nail gun.

good chop saws, nail guns and 18v cordless drill/drivers make home improvement SOOOO much easier.

good luck.

jp

Porter Cable was owned by a company called Pentair I think it was recently acquired by Black&Decker which also owns Dewalt. Delta was another brand that I think Pentair owned that is now under black and decker.

Bottom line IMO - If you buy it at Home Depot it is a piece of s***...period. If you look at model number of the supposedly "identical" drill or saw, the Home Depot version are often a different model number than one bought at a lumberyard or hardware store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom