Need some tent stakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forget plastic for rocky/hard pan soil. Been using the SnowPeak stakes for a few years and IMO they're worth the money especially for anchoring the Kodiak tent in hard and/or rocky soil. Every once in a while I can't get one out of the ground when pulling up camp. But a loop of good rope through each stake's eyelet...and the convincing power of my Hi-Lift, pulls 'em right up and out.

For those that carry an electric impact driver: Ground Screw Anchors for Tents, Canopies, Sports Equipment
I just got a Kodiak and will be heading to Moab. I will have my 14" lag bolts but last time I was there the ground was sandy. What do you use in the sandy desert like Moab? I will have the 12" that came with it and an entire bag of stakes.

If it's really sandy I fill sturdy shopping bags with sand, attach the tent lines to them, and bury the bags. Works amazingly well!

Ill try to find a site with better soil so I can use my lag bolts. Last trip in Moab I had a stake pull in high wind and cause some issues. I have a new Kodiak and hopefully I can find a stake that will work. i have a big assortment now, but I hate to try 14 deadmans

My local buddy with the Springbar tent utilizes 10" lag bolts plus a 18v driver.

I like Snow Peak tent stakes. Their Solid Stake #30 is a 12" stake and I have driven them through rocks. I can destroy things better than Marines, and I have not destroyed these in 6 years of use. But... they can cost up to $6.00 per stake

besides craigslist freebies, it does not get much cheaper than rebar...

Northern even has a rebar option for $2.

besides craigslist freebies, it does not get much cheaper than rebar...
x2. very surprised it took 30 posts to see rebar mentioned
I hammered together a set of rebar tent stakes for a S&T trip one year, it gets notoriously windy there sometimes...

And never used them. It was a perfect weekend.

:lol:

I could also see using old coil springs for a deadman anchor 🤓

My experience is that those reusable grocery bugs they sell at Whole Foods and others are amazing strong and work really well as dead man anchor. Even the disposable ones, if you double/triple them up work really well. They're *A LOT* lighter and compact than coil springs.

I hammered together a set of rebar tent stakes for a S&T trip one year, it gets notoriously windy there sometimes...

And never used them. It was a perfect weekend.

Rebar is too heavy and too much work. A good knot around a sturdy rock works really well.

Rebar is too heavy and too much work. A good knot around a sturdy rock works really well.
I learned that rather quickly.

Now I carry around a dozen or so of these:

Concrete-Block-or-Stake-for-Tent-1.jpg

Seriously though, the above mentioned snow stakes work quite well when used as a deadman anchor.

tent-with-deadman.jpg

Forget plastic for rocky/hard pan soil. Been using the SnowPeak stakes for a few years and IMO they're worth the money especially for anchoring the Kodiak tent in hard and/or rocky soil. Every once in a while I can't get one out of the ground when pulling up camp. But a loop of good rope through each stake's eyelet...and the convincing power of my Hi-Lift, pulls 'em right up and out.

For those that carry an electric impact driver: Ground Screw Anchors for Tents, Canopies, Sports Equipment
Those ground screw anchors look pretty awesome, if slightly expensive. For ease of finding them online, I recommend just googling "10 inch penetrator".

Those ground screw anchors look pretty awesome, if slightly expensive. For ease of finding them online, I recommend just googling "10 inch penetrator".
But maybe not at work...

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom