Need recommendation on cleaning coolant system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a 1991 with a blown hg and it is all pulled apart at the moment. The entire cooling system and passages have a layer of brownish red gunk that is coating everything. Is there any way to clean all this stuff out?
thanks

Is the engine out of the rig ?

If it was me, I would clean the head as best I could then assemble everything and run a couple of loads of 'coolant' thru' the system to flush it. Once the engine is running right and as long as none of those water passages are blocked, the coolant, whatever you use, should carry all the bad stuff out.

I would use water for about the first 3 or 4 flushes until you get clear fluid and then refill with the correct amount of coolant.

Not sure there's anything else you can do ?

Rgds...

Better define this, "a layer of brownish red gunk"? Just about all motors cooling passages have a thin layer of rust, if that is what your taking about, wouldn't worry about it.

Agree with Kevin - don't get too carried away, especially with plain water. Left overnight just once will cause rust in your block. Ask me how I know... Anyhow, get it running, then run an over the counter (vs prescription level - heh) coolant cleaner per its directions to remove oils. Then refill with coolant and drive.

Unless you know this substance to be something other than mild rust from sitting, that's what I'd do.

DougM

Doug-

Is Prestone a toyota worthy coolant cleaner? I am due to flush, back flush in the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom