need info re: swap fj4o front & rear ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:-/ I need to know if the front & rear end from a '68 fj40 will swap into a '73 fj40 without any modifications? Please advise.

Thanks,

Kathy

Re: need info swap fj4o front & rear ends

do you want to swap the complete axle or just the diffs?

I want to replace the entire front & rear axel housings with the axels inside, the drums, etc. These are completely rebuilt & would be replacing trashed stuff that would cost more to rebuild than to replace with this.

Just did a set of 74's into a 66. (SOA)
1.) Some brake line changes front.
2.) Pinion flange swaps.
I THINK the rest is plug and play. Good kuck.
Pete

so, yer putting 68 parts into a newer 73? &nbsp:Double-triple check, but 68 was a transition year for the ball-claw axles and the "slightly" better coarse spline birfield axles. The 68 might de a downgrade. Also make sure the side gears in the diff are fine spline, coarse spline is again another downgrade.

Unfortuately, checking requires axle disassembly....

My mid 68 had the birfs, and other wise is very similar to the later drum brake axles. I have a 75 in my garage now and the brake lines are different than the 68 was. The routing on the 68 had the rubber hoses coming off the frame on each side, the 75 has a single down the center (more driver side) and tee. If ya swap the brake lines, or use the 73 stuff all will be good. Those are the only differences I am aware of, but like Woody said if they are earlier axles they may have the ball and claw style joints. Ask the person that rebuilt them.

why do you want to replace the axles any way?
the toyota axles are really strong anyways.
the front Full Floater is as strong as a Dana 60
and the rear is like a Ford 9"!

Why change them?

The newer the Toyota, the better the axle quality

I'm replacing them because the 73 was wrecked beyond rebuilding & I was given the 68 axles with new brakes, cylinders, etc.

And is it cheaper to replace them or to buy new DANA axles?
keep is stock, that is the strongest way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom