Need Help with VIN and Engine decode. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, 75 FJ40 here I need help decoding the VIN.

VIN = FJ40196213 From what I read online it doest tell me much.

This VIN page talks about letters and numbers...however my VIN just has FJ for letters and thats it... am I looking at somthing wrong here...is there a production plate that has the numbers and letters located on it..
IE...soft top/hardtop/transmission/3speed/4speed??

Engine block number is 2F13030....

any help in this area or where to look would be great.

this is the website i was using for VIN info, but its confusing...

Yes I'm new to FJ ownership so be gentle...haha

Also, looking at pics, does this look like an original 4 speed or was it originally a 3 on tree then converted?

Thanks for help
IMG_6118.JPG
IMG_6124.JPG
IMG_6128.JPG
IMG_6129.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG

There are two VIN plates. The one with information your looking should be on the passenger's fender. Look at the fender below the battery and you should find it. It is held on by two sheet metal screws. If your in the US that four speed would have been standard. From your pictures everything looks pretty stock.

The VIN really just tells you it's a FJ40 and serial #. The True VIN is the one under the hood and it has a model number that show the information on what type of FJ40 it is.

ok cool... time to bust out the old elbow grease... hopeflly it doest rub off letters..

from the inside shots looks original right? manual floor transmision ... just in case i can't read the data plate...

BTW your tranny if original will have a removable side cover... yes should be manual floor shift

the engine mayhave been rebuilt? or somebody liked orange.... originally would have been black

drives side fender was replaced... they come primer black

do you have the carb?

yes the carb is 2bbl rochester....
you need the number off that.. the aircleaner did not come with the toyota.. guy i got it from was not orignial owner...

isnt the drivers side fender black? granted, its worn out looking.... but still black right? haha

ok got it cleaned up a bit..
any thoughts on how i read this?
IMG_6145.JPG

FJ40LV-KCJA

F = F, 2F Gasoline Engine
J = Land Cruiser
40 = Wheelbase 2,285 mm
L = Left Hand Drive
V = Hardtop (van or station wagon)
K = 4-speed manual transmission
C = Swing Out Rear Doors
J = With Roll Bar
A = Models for USA and Canada ... or just USA cant remember

The VIN was moved from the firewall to the fender in the mid sixties when the stock heater blower was added to the that area of the firewall. Vacuum shifter went away in the seventies clearing some space on the firewall but wasn't until the 78 model it was moved to the firewall again and for the first time that plate have rivets instead of screws. Under the battery is a poor location. I remove the one out of my 68 years ago. I would up set the guy at emissions when I pulled the plate out of he glove to show him. I would then show him the stamped VIN on the frame. Wasn't until 3/69 the second VIN pillar was added to the driver's A pillar. Those were always riveted on.

Thanks for all your help guys... so it looks like a pretty original FJ..so im happy...

wow, thats a trip, your right.....531 is more like a Hilux yellow code or something, but there it is on the VIN plate.....

BTW the color is yellow... most common yellow being the 532 ... bne honest i dont think i have seen a code 531 except in a color chart

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out. Just a another question? how do I read the engine bloack number to see if its originaL?

IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6129.JPG

yes yes I know its orange... HAHA

not my doing and will be addressed in due time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom