VIN Decoding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrbolander

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

I have a 1977 FJ45 and I'm trying to determine the production month. It was originally from El Salvador and I'm in California and need to get it smogged :( Does anyone know of a site that has the codes to decipher a VIN and / or the frame number?

Thank you,

Mike

Mike,

First, welcome to the forum, and the Land Cruiser community....

I know almost nothing of California emissions requirements. My understanding is the FJ45 was not sold in the US market by Toyota in 1977. My recollection is that in 1977 if a vehicle's GVWR was above 6,000 lbs, the emissions requirements were a lot less than for vehicles under 6,000 lb GVWR. But was that true in California? I don't know.

I THINK the GVWR for a FJ45 might well be over 6,000 lb, and if that's the case, and if California had a similar GVWR emissions requirements break at 6,000 lbs, your challenge may be somewhat easier.

Maybe food for thought, or I could be completely wrong. Either way... Good Luck!

Hey Mike, I live in California and have some (limited) experience dealing with smog when I was trying to get an FJ60 to pass years ago. In general, you are going to have a very hard time registering anything newer than 1975. The general assumption would be that any vehicle newer than 1975 that was not originally equipped with California-compliant smog equipment will have to be retrofitted to register in California. Smog Inspections - California DMV - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/smog-inspections/

Though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it... there are states that allow you to title and plate a vehicle without being present in those states. South Dakota comes to mind.

I agree with those who say that you will encounter some enormous hurdles in an effort to pass smog in CA with this truck.

If you are bound and determined to do it and get it registered in CA, I would say that one option would be to swap in a 2F from a California FJ40 (of at least 1977 vintage) or, more likely, from a California FJ60, with all smog components intact.

Once you are in the realm of an engine swap, emissions requirements are based on the engine going in, not the one coming out.

There is no smog on the truck. It was originally from El Salvador.
From my very limited understanding I would assume they would look at the EPA label on the engine as a starting point for testing.

But, from El Salvador, I'd assume it never had one. And you'd probably have to find EPA documentation for importing it to start?

From my very limited understanding I would assume they would look at the EPA label on the engine as a starting point for testing.

But, from El Salvador, I'd assume it never had one. And you'd probably have to find EPA documentation for importing it to start?
No need for EPA documentation for import due to the age of the vehicle, but for registration in California, quite possibly yes.

Per the DMV website:

To register your imported vehicle, you’ll need:

You may also need:

• Evidence that your foreign import vehicle meets United States (U.S.) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
    • This is mandatory for vehicles manufactured after 1995.
    • This includes the federal certification label attached to the vehicle confirming FMVSS certification.
  • Additional evidence: A copy of a letter from the manufacturer confirming that the vehicle meets FMVSS and U.S. emissions standards.
Usually you can only get this evidence for vehicles manufactured in Canada.

• A copy of the Department of Transportation bond release letter from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
  • A certificate stating that the vehicle has been inspected by a California Air Resources Board-licensed laboratory.
  • Evidence that the vehicle meets Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California emissions standards.
    • This includes an EPA and California emissions label attached to the vehicle.
    • A smog certificate.
    • This applies to gasoline vehicles manufactured after 1968.
    • This also applies to diesel-powered vehicles manufactured after 1980.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom