Need Help...Stuck in Reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've run into an unexpected issue with my frame off resto as I'm getting things put back together. I recently put the wiring harness back in and hooked up 80% of the electrical system to make sure everything works properly. I haven't been able to start the engine yet because I'm waiting on the exhaust to be built. Anyways, during the rebuild process I opened up both the transmission and transfer case to visually inspect for wear and replace all the accessible seals and gaskets. I did not disassemble either because they worked perfectly before I started the teardown. I replaced what I could and sealed both back up. SO...

After I hooked the battery up this weekend so I could to purge/crank out the preservation oil I had in the cylinders and make sure the engine turned over properly after 3+ years of sitting dormant. I made sure the transfer case was in 2H and the tranny in neutral. Thing is, when I cranked the 40, it rolled back like it was stuck in reverse. I checked to make sure the gear shift was in neutral, it was. I even shifted 1st thru 4th gear and it all felt normal. I cannot not get the lever to go into reverse gear at all. My assumption is I put the shifter back into the tranny wrong, but honestly I just don't know. Definite don't want to cause more issues or have to pull the transmission back out if at all possible. Please tell me I just made a noob mistake and all I have to do it remove the tranny top and realign something to fix...

Any ideas or pointers are greatly appreciated.

I’m not exactly the most mechanically inclined person on this forum, but my guess would be something inside the gearbox. Maybe some pictures would help. I bet the stick assembly is okay but something inside must be stuck or broken or not completely finished on the inside causing the gear to not change.

I would pull the shift cane and have a look to see if the reverse shift mechanism (forgot the proper name) is in position where the spring-loaded button is lined up with the other two slots.

First pic is with top plate removed but you can it all with just the shift cane removed. You can also move them with a big screw-driver.

ShftRls 01.jpg

ShftRls 02.jpg

Alright fellas, I think I got it figured out. Pulled the shifter and everything was aligned as as it should be, so I pulled the cover and instantly found the problem. The reverse shift fork wasn’t straddling the reverse lever pin (don’t know the official terminology). I lined them up, set the cover back on and viola, problem solved.
BE59DCCE-8E75-4D78-B1DF-ED2442C8DB41.jpeg
I definitely appreciate the suggestions. Hindsight being what it is I should have just opened the transmission up to start with to see if I could find the issue. Anyways, lesson learned.

Alright fellas, I think I got it figured out. Pulled the shifter and everything was aligned as as it should be, so I pulled the cover and instantly found the problem. The reverse shift fork wasn’t straddling the reverse lever pin (don’t know the official terminology). I lined them up, set the cover back on and viola, problem solved. View attachment 2622005I definitely appreciate the suggestions. Hindsight being what it is I should have just opened the transmission up to start with to see if I could find the issue. Anyways, lesson learned.
Yay, another happy forty owner

Mine has been in 4th gear since the last time I drove it in 1991.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom