Need help on '94 LC 1HDT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen,

I'm a newbie and have very little knowledge on the transmission. I own a 1994 Land Cruiser 4.2L Diesel Turbo with 1HDT engine and A440 automatic Transmission. I have this car for almost three years now and in the last few weeks, I'm experiencing a weird situation. My idel speed is around 800 and when I shift to D drive, it would drop to around 550 which is ok. However, there's no problem when the car is running. The problem starts when I run into traffic or come to a stop light, the car would shake while on the D drive. If I switch it to Neutral, it would stop. It's been happening in the last few weeks. I changed the differential oil (both front and rear), transmission fluid (both transmission and transfer case). Still the same problem. Can somebody help me here? Is it the transmission or anything else? Hope it's not the transmission.
Appreciate help from you all.

Dear Wayne,

Thanks very much for the info. Please excuse me for my ignorance. What sensor are you referring to? Where do I locate this? Again, thanks very much.

i really do not know but to me the problem sounds more elec than mech...

i really suck at elec problems, i will check with my guru tomorrow and see if he has come across this problem...
cheers

Check out your fuel filter.

Kalawang

Dear Wayne and Kalawang,

Thanks very much for your effort. Yes, I checked my fuel filter, it's okay. Anyway, I was able to get one middle-aged mechanic who used to work as mechanic supervisor in Toyota Philippines. He came, took a look a worked for three straight hours. The problem is with the idle and injection timing. The idle speed has to be balanced and close to the specified rpm. The injection timing is moved just a little bit faster. Now, my LC is running smooth and better pick up.

If your mechanic worked for Toyota Philippines, he didn't learn about the 1HD-T there. TMP ( Toyota Motors Philippines ) doesn't deal with the 1HD-T. It only sells the gas versions like the U.S.

Kalawang

Sounds like it vibrates at certain rpm's? Does the harmonic balancer move at all on the crankshaft? Check the big old nut. If it's loose, the woodruff key on the crank will start wearing or break. Then you need a new crankshaft.

Dave

Dear Greg_B,

Thanks very much for the info. Will visit the sites you provided. Again, thanks very much. Really appreciate it.

Dear beanz2,

Thanks for the insight. Will have the mechanic check on those. Thanks very much again.

I've seen that on Corollas overseas. You would drive and be fine, when you got to the intersection, it would just vibrate like hell. Put it in N and would be fine.

I kinda thought it could be torque convertor problem.....But a toyota mech should know.

My answer is more of a guess. Sounds like something is not unloading. or turing freely.

Well, my Honda Accord does the same thing after the front engine mount broke (transverse engine) vibrating in D or R, smooths out in N since it can rev a little higher. But I think the cruiser engine is a bit different ;)

OK that was purely chat. Bad! (slapping my own wrist)

Tech content: the ACSD in a 1HDT pump costs $300 US from my local Denso dealer. Cheap fix considering the fuel pump is $1200 US. Note prices in US$. They can be obtained here. Bad ACSD causes ticking when cold, not vibration.

Dave

Dear Wayne and Kalawang,

Thanks very much for your effort. Yes, I checked my fuel filter, it's okay. Anyway, I was able to get one middle-aged mechanic who used to work as mechanic supervisor in Toyota Philippines. He came, took a look a worked for three straight hours. The problem is with the idle and injection timing. The idle speed has to be balanced and close to the specified rpm. The injection timing is moved just a little bit faster. Now, my LC is running smooth and better pick up.
can you describe what was done? I know this is a very old thread but i am having the same exact problem... hoping you are still on here to advise

Has the ACSD been deleted. If not then your little mesh filter under fuel shutoff solenoid may have shavings.
Other than that you may be sucking air.
A quick test being a firm primer. If it takes a couple of pumps to make the primer pump hard then sucking air is the problem.
You most likely will not see a leak because air is sucked under vaccum.
Try the clear hose between your primer and Injection pump.
I would try the primer test first as no tools required, clear hose second as only a short section of clear hose is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom