Need Help - No Breaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got in my 04 GX this morn, ABS, VSC Trac, and VSC Off lights were on, one continuous beep that didn't stop. I went ahead and put it in reverse to back out (bad idea) no breaks!

It's full of break fluid. Any ideas? I don't have a code reader and can't drive it anywhere.

Do you have any pressure in the brake pedal, or does it go right to the floor? Is there any brake fluid on the ground?

I don't see any fluid on the ground, reservoir is filled to Max, break pedal feels normal. There was definite resistance on the pedal, it didn't go to the floor.

I...have never heard of such a thing. Hopefully somebody else has - that's weird.

Check the codes. Sounds like a booster failure

My experience on other cars: If the brake booster has failed the master cylinder will likely fail soon. If the master cylinder failed the booster will likely fail soon. Replace both. Do not now about the GX, but some Lexus cars the MC and booster are sold as a kit.

Thanks for the input. My brother-in-law is coming today with a trailer to haul it to the repair shop. Will post codes as soon as I can.

Off to the dealer!

IMG_2988.JPG

Codes are c1223, c1241, c1256, c1340. They are quoting me a price of $3,084 to replace entire master cylinder.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Codes are c1223, c1241, c1256, c1340. They are quoting me a price of $3,084 to replace entire master cylinder.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds like too much. The master cylinder will be ungodly expensive on a modern rig like this (especially for Lexus) but should be more like $1,000 bucks I would think. Welcome to the world of dealer extortion!

I personally hate doing that kind of work, but for those numbers I'd do them all day every day. I'd llook for someone else in the area to do the job. Good luck.

Reach out to Beno here on mud to see if he has any connections for Lexus parts. Buy a factory service manual then get to work on the repair. Unless you need the car for a daily driver. But 3k+ sounds really high.

are the parts the same as a 4runner? May want to get another tow out of there and bring it to a Toyota dealership.....better yet an indie Toyota shop.

I had to do my booster about 18 months ago, I think it was $1,800 at a buddies shop for the Lexus part and discounted book time. I did not do the whole master at the same time and I've been fine. You're looking at spending money no matter what. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom