Need for lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D

Docmallory

Hi all,

I hope to be a future 80 owner, upgrading from my Tacoma later this year. I have a son on the way and want a Cruiser for all the reasons mentioned in the "Why an 80?" thread -- safety, reliability, more room, and so on.

Typical use will be commuting to work as my daily driver, and the vehicle will probably see a lot of snow driving - some deep (a couple of feet). No rock crawling or hard-core off-road stuff though.

It's no secret that locked 80's are relatively rare, and so I'm tempted to expand my search to include non-locked Cruisers.

But then again, aren't the lockers part of what makes an 80 so special? I'm afraid I'd be kicking myself a few months down the road if I got one without the lockers... :doh:

C'mon guys, please help me solidify my resolve to get the lockers, or tell me why I wont miss them!

[quote author=Docmallory link=board=2;threadid=9929;start=msg88011#msg88011 date=1073699252]But then again, aren't the lockers part of what makes an 80 so special? I'm afraid I'd be kicking myself a few months down the road if I got one without the lockers[/quote]
Yes and you will. That's the main reason I bought the second LC, I happened on it and had to have the lockers. Patience. I had center and rear lockers on my VWs and Audi and used them occasionally, couldn't stand not having them on my truck.

You will not be as happy if you don't get them. I grin every time I use them because I know the goober that paid all that money for his H2 doesn't have them, nor does nearly anybody else, and they were free. They are one of the things that seperate 80s from the wannabes.

Don't listen to the other guys. You don't need them. These things wheel better than most vehicles with lockers in stock form. The other problem is once you have them you can never go back. Save the rare beasts for the guys who really need them. By the way, I am looking for a Cruiser with lockers, has anyone seen one. :D

You might be surprised and find yourself getting into doing some wheeling then you'll wish you had them.

I had a stock 60 series for years and used it for light wheeling (camping, fishing ect...) and there was a few times that I really needed them. It's those times that they are worth some major bucks. I almost spent $$$ to add ARBs to the 60. The elockers make the 80 the truck that it is.

Even if you end up spending another grand to get that rarer truck it's worth it.

Keep looking, you'll find it.

R

p.s. only 10 more posts to hit addict...... :D

Docmallory,

I see you live in Indiana. Wait for one with lockers so long as you don't come down to the southwest and take one from our slim pool.

-B-
(Yep, I've got another friend looking for one with lockers. All leads appreciated) :D

-B-

yeah, but if you got locks, you go farther out, then you get stuck anyway, then you buy a winch, then you go farther out, then you get stuck anyway, then you buy a rear winch, then you go farther out, then you get stuck anyway, then.... well you get the idea...
ultimately, you end up with an M1 Abrams...
not good fellas, not good...
:D
Eric

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=9929;start=msg88104#msg88104 date=1073708732]ultimately, you end up with an M1 Abrams... [/quote]
And then realize you need a tank retriever for when that gets stuck

No, you don't need one! But if you find a low mileage black 96/97 with lockers let me know. ::)

Do yourself a favour and buy a truck with lockers or you will cry day and night for them ::)

They are worth the money :cheers:

Mike

Someone brought up an excellent point. I remember the road giving a way before and sliding between a tree and a boulder. I had purchased mud tires earlier that week instead of the winch I was looking at. The long walk out in the dark while snowing helped clarify my needs as to what my first purchase should have been. For what thus gentleman wants to do he could find a clean one without lockers, save his money and buy a winch :D Forgot to add $.02

Hey, I have a 96 for sale. Lockers but high miles. :) 146k miles. Cheap, as it sits $11000, but needs some maintenance. Was a one owner and some oil change records exists. We bought it with a bad transfer case, but that has been fixed.

Hey Doc - I echo the sentiments of the above posts - lockers are worth the wait, even if you only find the need to use them once in a while. Truth is, alot of folks who have them never used them and/or don't really know what they are. For that reason, a locked 80 will not necessarily be more expensive than one w/o lockers - but will usually sell faster, so when you find one you have to be quick on the draw. And to help your search, look at 96-97 Lexus LX450's as well. Same rig for the most part and even though they were more expensive new, they are often a little less than their Cruiser counterparts used. Take it home, throw away those stock shocks and springs, replace with OME's, and your a happy man. As was mentioned above - it's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase! Enjoy your search and good luck!

Dan :cheers:

I purchased mine new, without diff locks. Several years later I retro-fitted factory electric locks. At the time I got mine I wanted to get locks but the vehicle I ended up being able to get my hands on did not have them. At the time they were selling for 40,000 bucks and there were few "deals" being made even for dealer employees. As every vehicle that came into stock already had a retail buyer wanting to pay "all the money". My vehicle was a "brass hat", meaning it was a factory-owned demo. It was driven for a short while by a Toyota regional manager and then sold to us. It had sustained acid rain damage on the trip over from Japan(repaired) and had 7,147 miles on the clock.

I got it for what was at the time a screamer deal. I paid just under 32 grand for it.

I found that I didn't need the locks for anyplace I ever went. After I added them I started to search out places to go where they would be required.

The lockers make the LC 80 a complete rig !!!

Try to get them :cheers:

Mike

Thanks for all the info and advice, fellas.

That does it - I WILL get lockers on my Cruiser!

(I gotta bookmark this thread so I can come back to it. It'll come in handy when I find a low mileage creampuff with no lockers at a ridiculously low price! Must... hold... out... for... lockers!!!)

Hey Christo, what color is that '96 you have for sale?

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=9929;start=msg88270#msg88270 date=1073753910]
Hey, I have a 96 for sale. Lockers but high miles. :) 146k miles. Cheap, as it sits $11000, but needs some maintenance. Was a one owner and some oil change records exists. We bought it with a bad transfer case, but that has been fixed.
[/quote]

Christo. Would that be a bad VC in the t-case ???
I NEED to know.

Doc,
Get the lockers. You won't pay any more for a truck that has them, but it may take awhile longer. The other day I posed a locked 80, think it was a 95 that was a decent deal. Just keep your eyes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom