NEED EXHAUST HELP for tommorow. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats up everyone. Just got home from LOUDEN, NH (NASCAR RACE) and i am really tired..so, I apologize for the LONG /incoherant post..but, i really have no clue on this type of stuff..and i want to ask the experts here before i commit to anything w/my local shop.

STORY:
Anyways, my stock exhaust finally kicked the bucket (113K). To make a long story short..I am going to the exhaust guys tommorow to discuss my options. Since i never had to have an exhaust system replaced..i have NO IDEA what to have them do/look for/make sure they dont do..ESPECIALLY w/any little 'weird' TLC exhaust things i am unaware about.

WHAT I WANT/DONT WANT:
I do not want my stock setup anymore. I want something that sounds better, can take a beating, is less restrictive (flow) and looks GOOD! I dont want to spend tons of $$. I MIGHT need new headers and I MIGHT need new 02 sensors. I DEFNITELY need new pipes & cat.

QUESTIONS:

1. IF..i need a header/02 sensor..can anyone reccomend a good site/good manufacturer/good priced source?

2. I need new pipes & cat..I REALLY like how most rigs out there are sporting dual straight pipes from the sound/symmetry look. BUT, w/the straight 6..would dual exhaust be a waste of time/money? Would dual pipes just 'look' cool?..or would it actually provide more flow than the single pipe w/the straight 6 being the source? Would i run into any problems w/having the shop route dual pipes? In general, are there any places they SHOULD or SHOLDNT route the pipes?

3. Is there any special LC things i need to be aware of..or make my shop aware of? I know that I need to make sure they dont put the pipe too close to the spare (melting?) and also the heat/floor aspect. But, is there any thing else i need to know? I know (i think) there are 2 02? sensors?...why?..where? do they have to be in specific places? can they use the orig ones?

4. Does anyone have any suggestions on exhaust brands? Does anyone have any suggestions in general that would help me out?

Sorry for this CLUSTER post..i searched prior posts but didnt really find any post that really answered all my questions (i remember there was an AWESOME post on the old SOR Forum..but, i cant remember the advice).

I would really appreciat anyone's 2 cents with this one..as i have 0 ZERO cents on this topic!!

Thanks..oh, i have a '96

later,
-Joe-
:p

It's highly unlikely that the Exhaust Manifold is stuffed.

Catalytic Converter. - If it does require replacing, Replace it with any reputable brand and don't be sucked into a 'Perfermance' type.

Use a Straight Through Muffler and route the tubing where it currently is. :)

S.A.

Q1: Since you are having a new exhaust installed, encountering eastern salted roads, etc., I would install 2 new OEM Toyota O2 sensors.

Q2: Yes, a dual exhaust system would be a waste of #6 fund. You would have to incorporate 4 O2 sensors (standard or wideband) and I doubt the OEM computer is setup for this type of input from quad-sensors. Also would require duplication of catalytic converts - state dependent. The only real place you could install dual pipes is at the exit point of the cats. Other issues include clearances, routing, more points / places to crush on the rocks, etc.

Q3: Depending on how bad your OEM pipe condition, your exhaust shop would have to fabricate a flanged pipe from cast iron exhaust manifold to first cat, small pipe, second cat, with an Oxygen sensor just before the first cat & just after the second cat. Year depending you can route the exhaust pipe over the frame rail, to various manufacturers mufflers, and then the final piece of pipe that terminates near the rear bumper - tucked away from the rocks.

If the OEM pipe is in good condition you might be able to install an aftermarket Cat-back system or new pipe / muffler from the second cat to the tailpipe.

Q4: Flowmaster, Borla, etc.

Since you want to save cash, it would be best to have your local muffler shop install a "Cat-Back" system, using mandrel bent pipe (some shops have equipment) and muffler of your choice. Route the pipe close to factory location, while considering having it routed over the frame (95?-97), and then terminating the tailpipe in an out of the way place near the rear bumper.

Joe

Joe,

>> 1. IF..i need a header/02 sensor <<
and
>> 3. ... special LC things <<

Your 96 has a stainless steel exhaust system with dual in-line cats. There are two O2 sensors; one before the cats, the other after the cats. Your ECU is looking for very specific signals (timing and voltage levels) from the O2 sensors. It is recommended that you use them if they are still good; if not, use OEM or be prepared for some wiring issues and possibly other O2 sensor issues.

>> 2. ... sporting dual straight pipes <<

I have not heard of anyone that has installed a dual exhaust system on a 1FZ-FE (or any I6 cruiser for that matter.) If you are after looks then go to a custom shop and see what they recommend. If you are after off-roading capabilities then stay with a single system.

If your exhaust system is shot then you probably live in the rust belt so you will probably want to stay with a stainless steel system. Our local shops typically use aluminized exhaust pipe unless you specify SS.

>> 4. Does anyone have any suggestions on exhaust brands? <<

The Flowmaster muffler gets good marks from several on this forum.

Do a search on "Flowmaster" using Keep's SOR Archive (Link at top of this page) to get to the awesome post you were looking for.

-B-

Duel Pipes are exspensive and there may not be the space. If you really want a Duel Exhaust, Make sure it includes a balancer section Pipe, Also make sure all bends are Mandrel.

The best Silencer Brand availible in Australia is Red Back.

If you're going to keep the FZJ80 for less than 3 years there is no point in spending more to go Stainless over Mild Steel.

Depending on your state's emission laws you may have to stick with dual cats (like CA) or go through a painful referee process.

Check out http://www.kansascityconverters.com/ for a good alternative to new...

Saved me the hassle of the CA smog nazi system. The you can still install a cat-back setup as others have mentioned.

Thanks for the great info everyone. I think i learned more about exhaust systems in the past two days..than I have learned ever.

Few questions I am still wondering about. ???
-Why do LC's have 2 Cat's (and one after the other)? Is two standard for most vehicles?
-Do I HAVE to use the OEM Cats?..are there aftermarket alternatives? (see reasons for not going oem below).

For the hell of it...i went to Toyota to price out replacement OEM Cats..they wanted:
-$449.79 :mad: (Pt#18450-66120) "Converter Assembly"
-$1,445.27 :mad: (Pt#1740166090) "Pipe Sup-Essembly"
-O2 Sensor 138.16 EACH. :-\

My jaw DROPPED when the parts mgr told me the prices..i picked up my papers and calmly walked out. No way spending that $ on those parts. I would rather put in an SC. :D ...and have broken exhaust any day at those prices!!

anyways..

later..
-Joe M.-
:p

S.A.,

That's the price we pay for clean air. :(

Well, the dual-cat question vs. aftermarket depends on your particular state, and in CA it even depends on where in the state!

The OEM is a high-cost deal but here's what KC Converters quoted me (your mileage may vary):

Thank you for your inquiry, Todd.

Part #BN-522H and BN-530A or B(depending whether or not your converter
has straight or twisted flanges), show to be the application for your make
and model. These are front and rear converters. The 522H, retails for
$188.00 plus $15.00 shipping and handling, and the 530A or B, retails for
$306.00 plus $20.00 shipping and handling . If you have an original
equipment core with catalyst, to return, we usually send along a UPS
Shipping Label for you to ship your core to us for a refund of up to $20.00
for the 522H, and $34.00 for the 530A or B. The cores should be whole,
flange to flange and not cut.

If you order both, I can give you a 5% discount on the cost, and
shipping charges would be $25.00 total instead of $35.00. I will have to
check with the warehouse tomorrow morning after 8 o'clock for availability
of these parts, then I'll mail you with that information.

Keep in mind, this is a remanufactured original equipment part (just lke
you'd get from a Toyota dealership) and comes with a 2 year/ or 25,000 mile
limited warranty, whichever comes first. If you have any further questions
or wish to place an order, feel free to give me a call at 1-877-771-1892.
Our office hours are 8am to 5:30pm CST Monday through Friday.

494.00 + 25.00 for shipping, not pretty but better than the dealer cost of $2000!

Just more decisions to make!

EDIT: That cost didn't include the 5% discount so it'd be more like $470 -> $500 with shipping...

S.A.

I have a Y pipe near the end of my exhaust right after it passes over the frame. It does look cool (go to www.yomama.net and click more cruiser pics). It would even sound cooler I think if it wasn't for the turbo drowning out the sound, still at idle it sounds tough. I have a Flow Pro cat (I think that is what it is) and for sure a Flo Pro muffler. It was all custom done at around $600 from a local shop. They welded the O2 sensors in before and after the one cat since I am only running one rather then two. But I don't live in CA.

Yomama

I tell you..it is good to know all these options are out there. I am definitely NOT going to replace the cats w/2 OEM (dealer) ones...not at $2,000!

I still havent decided what route I am going to take..although i do now have an idea. Looks like my next appointment w/shop is later this week. I will post pics once i am done with it.

Thanks..
-Joe M.-

PS YOMMAMA..nice pics. where did you get the wood trim from?

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=3833;start=0#msg28449 date=1058919161]
PS YOMMAMA..nice pics. where did you get the wood trim from?
[/quote]

Wood trim??? People always ask about that ??? I have no idea it was part of the ROLLED package. :D

Yomama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom