Need advise on possible '85 FJ60 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

I am hoping to look at this fj60 tomorrow and am looking for exert advice on whether it would be a good starter rig. I've never owned a cruiser but am more familiar with the 40 series after years of drooling over them. I'm looking for something that I can take out on rougher road than I can take my current daily driver ('86 camry) and can trust driving around Eastern Idaho/Western Wyoming. I don't need it to be perfect, just reliable. I've emailed the owner who has all of the service records since they've owned it, it sounds like it has minimal rust in the usual areas, AC doesn't work, it doesn't burn oil but it does drip.

Landcruiser, FJ60

Any and all thoughts on condition, price, questions to ask and general level of money pit would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

@Output Shaft is spot on as usual. Looks like a decent Cruiser for the money. There might even be some room to negotiate at that price too.

Every cruiser drips oil. If it's more than a drip, better explore deeper and see what's happening.

Are you keeping the Camry? It would be good to have a second car to get around in while you baseline this one.

Congrats man. Dust off your tools and get ready to go to work. We're here to help.

Take it for a test drive. If it idles smooth and the engine feels good when driving it (I didn't say powerful) and the transmission shifts well and isn't noisy and it stops ok and there isn't any scary rust underneath and the interior is good enough.... And the engine idles smooth and quiet AFTER taking it for a test drive when it's nice & hot...... Buy it.
The asking price is fair if there's nothing obviously wrong with the truck.

These cruisers are over 30 years old. So unless you don't mind spending extra money in the future having a trusted mechanic fix things that inevitably will need fixing, buying an old FJ60 for the first time really is an introduction to learning how to work on your own car.

In my opinion, working (when necessary) on the FJ60 is one of the nice features of owning one. It's easier than most cars.

To add to this, do not think these are cheap to fix. AND try to avoid the hole (I am in) of fixing everything at once. the $$$$ add up.

But really fixing a FJ60 is not to bad at all and 99.9% of things can be fixed yourself.
you could get (and will) a list of everything you should look for. But really most if common sense when buying any vehicle. It is when you get it home you have to decide what needs to be address first and what last
Example:
I bought mine, it has rust (that is a must to address) crappy carpet and seats, again a must for the wife. but that is all I saw on the front.

Getting it home, rear brakes have to be done, they are good but had a crack in the shoe to the edge and will not pass inspection.
found an oil leak (speedo cable seal) in the trans. I know the transmission to trans is leaking as it has the bypass (this can wait)
Fix the AC (bought all new components) VA is hot so another must
Paint is faded and will need to be done after the rust repair. Ya that will wait.
Headliner is dirty (you can clean that)
Rear diff pinion seal is leaking this is a must, but you CAN do this yourself it is not hard just read and learn and do it.

Also you can get a copy of the FSM here
For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

mine drips no oil at the moment ..

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the feedback and support! And am happy to hear that assuming nothing horrible is hiding that its a decent cruiser for the price.

I'm definitely interested in learning how to work on it myself though at this point I've done almost none of the maintenance on my car. An fj60 (and a friend with a shop and a lot of patience) seemed like a good place to start. I expected this to be a pricey hobby and can see how it would be easy to want to fix everything at once. For now the cosmetic issues have to wait. Brakes are high on the list. Eastern Idaho can be toasty so AC will be nice but not immediate. I'll (hopefully) know more tomorrow what needs to be taken care of immediately. The same friend is bringing a trailer so my first run doesn't have to be a four hour drive across Idaho.

It sounds like the front seats are pretty rough (which is why they're covered). The brakes were described as hard to push.

I do plan on keeping the camry. It only has 102K miles on it and is reliable (enough).

And for the record, the camry drips as well.

I agree with all above. I like how the "major" maintenance listed was the clutch master cylinder. Seems like a good indication to me that it was even mentioned since that was 9 years ago. Looks like a fair deal from where I'm sitting.

An item to check which should be down your list a ways is the exact build date in '85. There will be a plate on the driver's side door frame with the build date. Later than 4/85 has a couple of advantages for mods further down the road.
Not a deal breaker, more of a fun fact to know and tell.
Good Luck!

IMG_3021.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG

That's nothing to worry about but these old girls rust around the roof gutter so before parting with your money run a fridge magnet around the gutter. The 4 speed and 2f engine are a thirsty on fuel so be prepared. It ticks all my boxes with the stock paint work at least you know what your buying rust wise.
Good luck

That will need a good scrub underneath, wirewheel and paint. And fix any weak spots, like rear c-channels . . .
Overall that looks worthy!

As stated earlier, fair price and I haven't seen any deal breakers.

Looks very complete and generally unmolested. Stereo install is unique for sure.
Cosmetic stuff is better than many. How does it run and drive? Seems very reasonable at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom