Need advice...Keep LC or VW? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll probably get blasted for this, considering this is a LC/LX forum, but here I go. I have a 2012 VW Passat TDI with 106k that is part of the VW emissions scandal, and a very clean 2001 LC with 198k on the clock. We have a 7 month old, I need to sell one of them before my wife kills me.

Both options should yield a nice return since the VW has a strong buyback/fix offer from VW, and the LC is, well it's a LC so it would sell easily.

I really like both cars, for different reasons. Obviously the VW has phenomenal fuel economy, and has all the newer amenities (bluetooth, steering wheel controls, keyless entry/start, etc). It's pretty fun to drive with power to spare. I assume it's a safe car and it's very comfortable. It also has side curtain airbags. On the other hand, the LC is pretty dated on the convenience front, gets awful fuel economy, is slightly less comfortable (the drivers seat), but drives solid and I assume it's altogether safer? Sitting higher is nice, too. All wheel drive is a nice plus, but not a deal breaker in the South where winters aren't too bad. I also do not do much off road.

As you can see above I'm overanalyzing this, so please help!

**Should also add I have a 2010 Tundra 4x4, wife has a Pilot

Last edited:
They are such different vehicles that only you can decide really. Sell the tundra keep the land cruiser and VW. There you go, that is my opinion.

I hate my 17 Tundra, Love my 98 Land Cruiser, My favorite car out of 60+ vehicles was my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, that thing was amazing. LOVE the TDI. Set fire to that Tundra and keep the TDI. Sell the LC, doesn't sound like you are really that into it, and you don't use it off road, gas mileage sucks, and that VW is way safer. The Land Cruiser is fabulous, but unless you are really into it, and love it like most of us do then just boot it.

I am a diesel fan, had a few duramaxs and my wife had a bluetec ml320. Now with kids, I choose not to have diesel around just to not have extra diesel particulate around my kids.

I'm assuming the lc, tundra and vw are yours? What are their uses? Get rid of all three and get a 200.

I never considered selling the Tundra. Not a bad idea, but don't think I could let go of it. I bought it new and it's been taken very good care of. I also use the bed a few times a month doing projects around the house. The Passat was purchased as a commuter car, since the Tundra drinks fuel and sucks for city parking.

Is a Passat really safer than a LC?

The VW would eventually need to be modified to pass emissions. I'm not familiar with particulate exposure concerns for diesels? I'll do some research on this.

Regarding VW reliability, I've also given that a lot of thought. It has almost half the miles as the LC and is much newer, but I feel like the LC is still more reliable. The VW has already had a turbo failure and the heating element for the DEF failed. Both were repaired under an extended warranty, but it still raises concern. The LC recently had timing belt, plugs, water pump, and all fluids done (at 180k). I also have a family member that is a Lexus tech, so that's a plus one for the LC argument.

I hate my 17 Tundra, Love my 98 Land Cruiser, My favorite car out of 60+ vehicles was my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, that thing was amazing. LOVE the TDI. Set fire to that Tundra and keep the TDI. Sell the LC, doesn't sound like you are really that into it, and you don't use it off road, gas mileage sucks, and that VW is way safer. The Land Cruiser is fabulous, but unless you are really into it, and love it like most of us do then just boot it.
Why do you hate your Tundra? Also, how is the VW safer than the LC (not disagreeing)?

Both options should yield a nice return since the VW has a strong buyback/fix offer from VW, and the LC is, well it's a LC so it would sell easily.

Personally I would sell the VW while the strong buyback is still available. Looking at a few years down the road, which one is going to need a lot of and/ or more expensive maintenance cost and depriciation? My bet is VW. If you need a commuter car, get a Japanese or Korean cars, which is known for better reliability.

I'd sell both, let VW buy back your TDI, sell the Cruiser, you drive the Tundra and wife drives the Pilot, done. You're driveway has more room, two cars less on insurance, two cars less for oil changes, tires, brakes...
I have never understood why people have so many cars, get one you enjoy driving everyday that suits your needs and be done. What you'd save on insurance would more than pay for your gas each month.
If you sold the Tundra and got a utility trailer you could keep the Cruiser. A 4x8 utility trailer with removable sides is way more useful than a pickup, a 5x10 even more so yet. Plus it doesnt cost anything to park in the backyard when not needed, it doesnt require insurance or gas, only tires and bearings repacked.
You can add Bluetooth to your Cruiser, upgrade the speakers, fix the driverseat and have one hell of a nice truck for a lot less money than having two cars you don't need.

I'd sell both, let VW buy back your TDI, sell the Cruiser, you drive the Tundra and wife drives the Pilot, done. You're driveway has more room, two cars less on insurance, two cars less for oil changes, tires, brakes...
I have never understood why people have so many cars, get one you enjoy driving everyday that suits your needs and be done. What you'd save on insurance would more than pay for your gas each month.
If you sold the Tundra and got a utility trailer you could keep the Cruiser. A 4x8 utility trailer with removable sides is way more useful than a pickup, a 5x10 even more so yet. Plus it doesnt cost anything to park in the backyard when not needed, it doesnt require insurance or gas, only tires and bearings repacked.
You can add Bluetooth to your Cruiser, upgrade the speakers, fix the driverseat and have one hell of a nice truck for a lot less money than having two cars you don't need.

It's funny that most people on here vote getting rid of the Tundra...I didn't see this coming! I guess I assumed LC folks would like Tundras too.

It makes sense, and I agree with the trailer idea, but we also use the Tundra to pull a boat that weighs around 4200 lbs, and we hope to purchase an Airstream one day. I know the Cruiser could technically handle it, but don't like being on the upper end of towing limits. The Tundra is also a nightmare to park in the city. Solid turning radius, but really not sure why they made the truck so wide.

I'm a car collector, so I accepted high auto insurance costs a long time ago. I have two other cars not mentioned that I intend to keep forever.

The LC just feels solid and surefooted. The TDI is great now, but I agree with you guys that it probably won't be the car the LC is when it hits 200k. Decisions decisions...

If only we could get our hands on a diesel Cruiser. That would solve all of these problems.

You have a newer Tundra as a daily driver and your wife has the Pilot, why not sell both LC and the VW? You could pocket the cash or buy something you really like (and preferably your wife doesn't hate) to drive for fun.

If I were you, they'd both be for sale and I'd be shopping for a 40 series.

Here is my input:
If you plan to have another child, then you will need the cruiser for long trips. A pickup is a must if you have a house/yard and you build things at home.
Pilot is OK as it gives a great gas mileage but safety wise, it is a big pile of plastic and thin sheet metal. It does not even have 4WD high range so this is not going to be your family vacation car.
I learn to make decisions slowly, especially something going to affect me. So take your time and make the best choice.

I work for VW. Take the money for the Passat buyback. Its an INSANE amount. If something happens and the car gets totaled you loose out on thousands. Take the money and move on from the car. Im a HUGE VW guy and thats what id do. It is way too much money to roll the dice on. Ive had clients get back more than what i sold them their cars for 2 years into ownership. Yours is a little older but id imagine youre getting upper teens to 20k for it. You have to look at this as a once in a lifetime scenario to basically drive a car for 100k miles for free. You also got the $1000 goodwill money 2 years ago and will get $350 from bosch after your but back is complete. Just my 2 cents

If gas mileage is what your after then keep the VW, Pilot, and Tundra. If its reliability and space then keep LC and Tundra. You can get a huge payout from VW (take it and run) and pilot will have transmission issues down the line. Even with diesel on the VW, and the pilot well its a Honda (Honda is banking on reliability of the their cars from the 90s), with LC being around for close 75 years with legendary for reliability and capabilities will out lived both cars by at least 3x times (we seen lots of LC with higher that 500 miles!! take that diesel). Make the LC a mom friendly car IE change lights to LEDs, switch out stereo to a higher end Alpine/Pioneer with Bluetooth, Navigation, Satellite, Apple car play, backup camera etc, change out the factory speakers and amp and wholla it immediately up to times and its not made out of plastic and thin metal. There is a lot of people in this community that will guide to the right direction as well as take the 100 series off your hands. My 0.02 Cents.

Last edited:
The VW will die 2x over before the LC die, something to consider.
This - the build quality between any VW and an LC is night and day.

Dow hat you wish, but unless you value gadgets more than reliability, it's a no-brainer.

My wife is the owner of a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI. I drove a beautiful 02' limited 4Runner 3rd Gen with 103K miles before picking up my 01LC a month ago. We are returning the TDI on Wednesday (VW buy back in the $19K range) now that I have purchased the LC. My plan is to move the wife into the 4runner and I'll drive the LC. I hope she likes it as much as I do. I just had the timing belt, water pump, etc done as well as two new cat's (both expensive) installed as well as a valve-cover gasket leak taken care of. The 4runner should be good to go for years to come. I just hope my wife likes the 4runner half as much as I did. Its a big change going from a 2010 VW TDI to a 02' 4Runner. Her main complaint is the steering feels "loose". I'm hoping she gets used to it. I really don't want to sell the 4runner and love having both rigs aside from the fuel consumption of course!

I stressed about the well-known TDI HPFP failure almost daily with that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom