Need advice after buying project truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this from a good friend who was injured and he cannot finish it. I have some ideas but welcome other ideas.

FJ40 frame was stretched and reinforced. Turbo 400 tranny was fully rebuilt as was the NP205. Shifter hump was modified to fit the 205. Saginaw PS has been added. Curry high pinion rear axle with disc brakes. Rebuilt Toyota front axle stock not yet cut and turned. This truck came complete with all gauges, aluminum radiator, front doors, interior parts, seats lights and lenses. it also came with a part truck.

I am planning on a SOA conversion with a cut and turn front axle from Proffitts and six shooters from Trail Gear, 6.0 LS1 from a local source, Metal tech rollcage with supports to allow seats to fit with seats, bumpers are not yet decided, a Ballistic Fabrication 4 link Coil rear setup. I recognize that I will need a custom rear driveline, wiring harness, rear panel for cab roof cap, and a custom fuel tank.

I am unsure if I should buy a Dana 60 for the front. I don't want to grenade the Toyota axle. I am unsure on the tire size.

The photos included are of the parts. The last photos are what I was thinking I might direct the build towards.

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

Warn 12000 winch up front. Land Rover 1 ton was my last build. Decided I would prefer a trail truck this time.

IMG_3831.PNG

IMG_3830.PNG

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

My advice would be decide on a tire size, then plan your axles. If bigger than 37s, screw the toy axles, go wontons.

Last edited:
I agree with the comment above. But also, consider more supple suspension at least in the front, leafs work, but after bouncing down a rocky trail long enough...

You have a lot to do in that project, remember that the biggest enemy of "completion" is "perfection", so if you really don't have a lot of time to get it rolling, prepare yourself to cut some corners.

Thanks guys: I am hoping to have traditional looking trimmed front fenders and be road legal. Tires could easily be over 37" I totally agree that this will take a significant amount of time. I also have a 1982 FJ40 that I am restoring back to factory so I need to be realistic.

What are wontons please? Thanks Again

deliverance that is very funny. I thought it was a joke but didn't know if there was some new way to make axles stronger from a company named Wontons. Long day at work I guess.

NP205 without some other gear reduction will be disappointing for rock crawling

Thanks OldRocDoc I did not know that. Good information

Pretty good advice here so far. You can make a 9.5” toyota front axle survive 40’s but it will cost a fortune to make as strong as a stock dana 60. Then there is the whole width issue, and that will depend on what your goals are and how wide that rear axle you have is. I used a NWF Black Box as a doubler between a th400 and a land cruiser split case and I’m super happy with it, you won’t regret the second transfer case.

The rear axle is Curry Ford 9" custom made and shortened to Toyota FJ or mini width. I agree that the front end is a problem for strength. The project is a tough one for me. I am tempted to use all of the parts for a mini truck build for simple reasons like it would be quicker, easier etc. The custom FJ45 project may take more free time and use up 1/4 of the shop space.

I am open to a second transfer case. Does anyone see flaws in using the axles, Np205, and turbo 400 in a mini truck with a SBC? I would eventually yank out any carb 350 for a 6.0 LS1 or 5.3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom