Need AC Condenser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this on Yotatech, but there's been a few AC related threads here on mud lately, so I thought I'd put this here as well.

Summary is I'm trying to locate a condenser for my 1988 4Runner and having difficulty, Denso seems to be the only option really for the 4Runner and they are out of stock everywhere, thread is here

4Runner AC Condenser alternate source - YotaTech Forums

My backup plan was going to be just clean out my old condenser really well and re-use it, but I was removing the u shaped hardline that connects the 2 pieces of the condenser and I ruined the threads on the fitting (pics are in the linked thread).

Summary is I'm trying to locate a condenser for my 1988 4Runner and having difficulty.....

liveoak - thank you for the response. Yeah I inquired about that exact item from the very same seller and they do not have the item in stock. As you also read, I purchased one from another ebay seller, who promptly cancelled my order because they also did not have the item.

If you got a Denso condenser, they heck yeah you are very lucky. Apparently Denso is having trouble manufacturing these (and other items from another post I saw).

Here's the one I bought back in June. Works great!

I was hoping you'd have some ideas, I read your thread several times before ordering all my parts...I appreciate the link, that one is out of stock from the seller as well. I'm really starting to think that NOBODY stocks these normally, except Denso and everything is just drop shipped straight from them.

I was hoping you'd have some ideas, I read your thread several times before ordering all my parts...I appreciate the link, that one is out of stock from the seller as well. I'm really starting to think that NOBODY stocks these normally, except Denso and everything is just drop shipped straight from them.

Awh man! That definitely blows.

I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket, I ordered a spectra from AutoZone and it was HORRIBLE. What's wrong with the condenser you have right now? Is it not salvageable?

Awh man! That definitely blows.

I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket, I ordered a spectra from AutoZone and it was HORRIBLE. What's wrong with the condenser you have right now? Is it not salvageable?

I'm afraid I've ruined my original condenser. When it was apparent that I wasn't going to be getting my order any time soon, I thought I'd just clean mine out and get ready to re-use it just in case. I was taking off that u-shaped hardline that joins the large condenser to the small condenser and boogered up the threads on the bottom of the large condenser (you can see pics in the Yotatech link above). I don't believe those threads can be repaired, they look pretty mangled to me, plus the threads on the inside of the hardline fitting seem beat up as well.

There is a radiator shop I use locally that does amazing work. He can custom build anything you need. I'd be willing to bet that if you shipped him your condenser he could replace the threaded nipple for you. I've had him make me all sorts of A/C lines and weld up various aluminum parts. Just a thought. I'm way over in California though. Might be something more local for you. The place is called Service Center Radiator on Borland Ave and its in Auburn, CA. Good luck!

I'm afraid I've ruined my original condenser. When it was apparent that I wasn't going to be getting my order any time soon, I thought I'd just clean mine out and get ready to re-use it just in case. I was taking off that u-shaped hardline that joins the large condenser to the small condenser and boogered up the threads on the bottom of the large condenser (you can see pics in the Yotatech link above). I don't believe those threads can be repaired, they look pretty mangled to me, plus the threads on the inside of the hardline fitting seem beat up as well.

Here’s one from an eBay seller- a little pricey but he’s got it in stock.

I do have the original condenser for my pickup that I could send your way.

There is a radiator shop I use locally that does amazing work. He can custom build anything you need. I'd be willing to bet that if you shipped him your condenser he could replace the threaded nipple for you. I've had him make me all sorts of A/C lines and weld up various aluminum parts. Just a thought. I'm way over in California though. Might be something more local for you. The place is called Service Center Radiator on Borland Ave and its in Auburn, CA. Good luck!

Thank you, very good idea, and I will call around some local radiator shops tomorrow and see if any of them think they can repair it. Of course, I'll still need to either source a new u-shaped hardline or see if those internal fitting threads can be cleaned up.

Here’s one from an eBay seller- a little pricey but he’s got it in stock.

I do have the original condenser for my pickup that I could send your way.

Appreciate that, can you repost the link if you happen to have it, I don't see a link in your reply. As for sending your original one, that's also a good option and I will definitely keep that in mind thank you for that offer.

Thank you, very good idea, and I will call around some local radiator shops tomorrow and see if any of them think they can repair it. Of course, I'll still need to either source a new u-shaped hardline or see if those internal fitting threads can be cleaned up.

Appreciate that, can you repost the link if you happen to have it, I don't see a link in your reply. As for sending your original one, that's also a good option and I will definitely keep that in mind thank you for that offer.

Here ya go!

Here ya go!

This seller got back to me today and said that they ship from a variety of warehouses across the country, and they checked and this item does not seem to be available. So this seller appears to be doing what most of the ebay sellers (and even non-ebay retailers) are doing, which is to just drop ship right from the manufacturer.

I did call several radiator shops here locally...first one said they don't do anything like repair of fittings on a condenser...other ones were all closed or no answer. I'll try again on Monday but I'm not hopeful about this option.

I called Napa, and they said to call back on Monday so they can check with their distribution center, so that is one potential.

Wonder how much it would cost to ship both ways to Cali. Guaranteed my radiator shop could repair your condenser and make you a new U-line...

Ok, I have sortof a resolution...I was scouring eBay and taking a hard look at each listed condenser. There is a listing for an aftermarket condenser made by Pacific Best. It is listed as working for the 4Runner, fittings looked to be in right place, but I was concerned that it does not have that little extra condenser in front. Went to PacificBest website and looked it up by application and the details said it was parallel flow. This interested me and I think maybe explains why it does not have the extra condenser piece...parallel flow is supposedly more efficient so it may not need that extra piece to radiate same amount of heat.

Then I googled the PC4221 part number and found it cheaper on carid website... Like $71 shipped. I figured I'll take a gamble on this thing.

It arrived today and just eyeballing it next to my original, it looks like all the connection points are in the right place. I'm working right now so all I had time to do is open box.

20200806_131728.jpg

Ok, I have sortof a resolution...I was scouring eBay and taking a hard look at each listed condenser. There is a listing for an aftermarket condenser made by Pacific Best. It is listed as working for the 4Runner, fittings looked to be in right place, but I was concerned that it does not have that little extra condenser in front. Went to PacificBest website and looked it up by application and the details said it was parallel flow. This interested me and I think maybe explains why it does not have the extra condenser piece...parallel flow is supposedly more efficient so it may not need that extra piece to radiate same amount of heat.

Then I googled the PC4221 part number and found it cheaper on carid website... Like $71 shipped. I figured I'll take a gamble on this thing.

It arrived today and just eyeballing it next to my original, it looks like all the connection points are in the right place. I'm working right now so all I had time to do is open box.

View attachment 2395294

I'm thinking it won't be as efficient as the original. I get the parallel flow thing, but having a bigger condenser sure helps a lot especially running R134a in an old system.

But I'm curious to see how well it works for ya.

4runners have the larger condenser for the larger cabin area vs the trucks that have the reg condenser. That condenser will work just fine for you.

Got it installed last night, everything fit up fine.

Regarding parallel flow vs OEM...the new parallel flow condenser has 26 refrigerant passages (and supposedly each passage has small tubes inside which makes more surface area for the heat to be exchanged). The OEM condenser INCLUDING the little front extra condenser has only 17 "passages". So if we are talking surface area for the refrigerant to exchange heat with the metal tubes, then this parallel flow seems like it wins that calculation.

The OEM condenser fins are larger, which maybe helps the OEM condenser shed heat to the air better.

So overall, I don't know, it might be a wash I'm not sure. But I do think the parallel flow condenser will be at least as good as the OEM.

I still have to get a few more things put together, system vac'd, and then charged, so we'll see, fingers crossed I get some cold air.

Following up on this. All installed, vad'd and re-charged and so far things are working.

The Toyota TSB regarding R134a conversion says to charge with 700g of r134a. Each can is 340g, I only put in 2 cans, so 680g. Since I don't have a gram scale and I did not want to overcharge, so I stopped at 2 cans. My pressures seem pretty close in terms of ambient temp and the pressures I would expect, so I don't know if more charge is really necessary.

I've driven the truck twice in South Florida midday heat, and it is hot, humid and sunny out. Truck got comfortable after about 10 minutes of driving (meaning it took 10 min for the recirc to cool the air in the truck to a nice level). Air coming out of center vents feels pretty good, I'll get some temperature data on the ambient and vent temps when I can.

I don't have tinted front windows (I scraped off years old purple tint a few years ago), and I have a black Softopper top (should have gotten the brown probably). But again, AC was comfortable...and vent air was slightly colder while truck was moving, and then I think I could feel a temp difference when truck stopped in traffic.

I did put the fan shroud on, it has not been on in years, but I figured the condenser needs all the help it can get. I could not find that little bottom lip on the fan shroud, so I might have to purchase a new one.

So I guess the summary so far is that I'm happy. I can drive the truck in S Florida summer with windows up and not be sweating. I don't know really how the back seat feels, so kids might not be as comfy back there as me up in the front. I've never had working R12 AC in this truck so I don't really have a good comparison.

Can you send me a pic of your compressor you are using and the compressor mounting bracket? My son @SipLife is looking to buy a compressor and it would be good to see your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom