Need a Vented Fuel Cap 76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thebigredrocker

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok I've searched and the gas caps listed to fit a 76 FJ40 appear to be Non-Vented. Has anyone found a cap that truely is stamped "Vented". I've followed a couple part numbers listed here on Mud and nowhere on stant or Napa's website have I seen "vented" called out. They just say it will fit. My PO tossed the charcoal canister and I don't want to hook all that stuff back up. Drilling a hole in my cap would be my last option unless someome had figured out a way to add a motor cycle style check vent.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422479991.845184.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422480003.558014.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422480017.395550.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422480031.886226.jpg

Thanks

If you still have the fuel separator, check valve an the fuel vapor line to the non existing charcoal canister, just reroute that line to the back of the vehicle to vent. Unless you plan on submerging your 40 within a river, lake, ocean......if so, then that line could possibly suck up the H20 in which you are bathing your rig in. The check valve should prevent that, but...........:meh:

Now here is a cool video of a swimming FJ40. "FJ40 Best of the Best"

I've seen where some just drill a hole in the OEM cap. :cool:

The PO chucked the fuel separator, charcoal canister, ect...in 1987. All I have is the fuel tank. The 3 vapor lines are capped off & return line capped. It's got a V8 w/ mechanical fuel pump. Thanks GA..I was hoping a vented fuel fill cap would be an option. If you think it's wise the to re-install an OEM charcoal canister system them I suppose I'll have to consider that.

Regards

The PO chucked the fuel separator, charcoal canister, ect...in 1987. All I have is the fuel tank. The 3 vapor lines are capped off & return line capped. It's got a V8 w/ mechanical fuel pump. Thanks GA..I was hoping a vented fuel fill cap would be an option. If you think it's wise the to re-install an OEM charcoal canister system them I suppose I'll have to consider that.

Regards
Big Red - Being you have a non OEM engine set up, I'm not so sure trying to reinstall the OEM fuel separator, check valve, and charcoal canister is the right direction. I'll digress and let the ones that have traveled this path, of the V8 installations, chime in.

Hi all,

I just drilled 3-4 very small holes in the newish Stanz brand gas cap and it seems to work just fine.

Regards,

Alan

Well, here is what I came up with for a gas cap - fuel filler cap. My FJ40 was made 12/75. My understanding is this cap will breathe both ways. The cap picture on the left is a carquest #34105 but is made in Mexico which I'm not crazy about, but it will due for now.
I believe the following caps will also work: STANT 10648, STANT G48, GATES 31648, STANT 11648, NAPA 703-1221, CST 6048

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423185682.458564.jpg

when I fuel injected my truck(s) I couldn't find any caps that would vent adequately I'd end up with fuel cavitation and flow problems due to too much vacuum getting created in the tanks so I ended up drilling a 1.5mm hole in the centre of both caps and the problem went away, wasn't really the way I wanted to resolve it but it made the problems go away

The only cap I found that worked for me was a locking stant cap that is vented. I tried many different vented caps and they all caused a vacuum in the tank. I was trying to get rid of the locking cap for something more low profile and easier to get off (meaning no key required). After trying probably 10 different caps I gave up and kept the locking cap that was on the truck when I bought it........

The only cap I found that worked for me was a locking stant cap that is vented. I tried many different vented caps and they all caused a vacuum in the tank. I was trying to get rid of the locking cap for something more low profile and easier to get off (meaning no key required). After trying probably 10 different caps I gave up and kept the locking cap that was on the truck when I bought it........

Good to know. I appreciate the input. I still haven't got my project back together yet, hopefully I'll have a chance soon to find out I need to drill my gas cap or buy a locking cap with better breathability. Those are issues that will signify I'm almost ready to get some "mud on the tires"!!!

Last edited:
Got a USA Made gas cap today. It is vented both ways. It's an older Stant G705 that was listed to fit the 60's dodge power wagon's and interestingly 72-76 Jeep's. It fits my 76 FJ40 perfectly. Figured I would add my findings.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423532518.996627.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423532564.632223.jpg

Well, I just stripped my gas tank and seat bracket mounts last night. So I'm a ways off but I will definately let you know how the Stant 705 works. I got a bit ahead of myself worrying about gas caps. Just trying to source all the odds and ends so as to be ready for the BIG DAY. I did do a bench test on the made in Mexico cap from Carquest and the USA made stant. The Mexico cap allows air to flow more freely and releases pressure a bit sooner. I'll let you know how the road test goes. My 40 has been torn apart since like 1987, so don't hold your breath. I think I am owner #4, definately the least mechaniclly inclined of the two PO's who came before me. I do however plan to be the one to grin ear-to-ear as I crest the mountain. Not a doubt in my mind ih8MUD has kept hope alive for me.

Last edited:
Haha! I'm still here eddy:p. Seems to be working just fine. The case could be made that fumes from my vented cap have caused brain damage as evidenced by a stock 71 40 I am pouring time & money into. @mcjb

Ok so the Stant G705? Why doesn't the later model one work are the the ones for 77-thru 83 and the 60 series ones vented?

Yep the G705 is the one I've been running, because it's made in the USA. The Hecho in Mexico #34105 also did fit my 76 fill snout and breathed/released with less effort. I'm keeping it as a spare and know it will perform as expected if called upon.

What year is your rig? FJ40 correct? @mcjb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom