Need a good shop to replace transmission fluid without causing damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HGB

Threads
As the title says I need a good shop that can change the transmission fluid on my 2013 Lexus LX 570. I had a bad experience with a previous truck that ended up requiring a new transmission, so I really need someone that knows what they are doing and the correct procedure for a fluid exchange. I am in Overland Park Kansas but I’m willing to travel a little bit if I can find a good shop.
Thanks guys!

Why not just take it to the dealer?

Why not just take it to the dealer?

They do either a drain and fill that introduces 4 qts of new fluid only, or a forced flush, which I want to avoid. I understand there needs to be a certain temperature, fluid level, etc and I want someone who is both confident and familiar in this procedure.

The dealer also recommended I skip the service and told me it was a lifetime fluid.

They do either a drain and fill that introduces 4 qts of new fluid only, or a forced flush, which I want to avoid. I understand there needs to be a certain temperature, fluid level, etc and I want someone who is both confident and familiar in this procedure.

The dealer also recommended I skip the service and told me it was a lifetime fluid.
I’ve been doing the 4qt drain and fill every other oil change for over 200,000 miles with any issue on my 80 series :meh:

I’ve been doing the 4qt drain and fill every other oil change for over 200,000 miles with any issue on my 80 series :meh:

I have 155,000 miles and it has not been changed once. If someone can just recommend a shop, it would be much appreciated. My reasoning behind my request is valid in my mind, and this is enough for me. Everyone else’s mileage may vary.

Thanks to all their input so far.

the new toyotas are according to the dealer "lifetime" but that is total BS. Lifetime to a dealer means warranty period. Not Lifetime.
I do my own, i purchase Denso WS fluid from Rock auto. OEM Manufacturer for the Toyota fluid. It really is not that difficult. I've assisted Colin on his 4runner and have done the RX400h and the Prius. key is raising the vehicle level. More difficult in the prius than the others as you can slide under the higher vehicles. it takes approx 4.2 quarts give or take what the spec is for your vehicle. There is no filter, only a drain and a fill plug. What i do, warm up the vehicle, bring it into the garage. Lift straight up and level. I actually purchased Quickjacks for my garage to do the prius transmission fluid. Key is a long clear tube to snake down the engine bay into the fill plug. Have a partner do the top part, you insure the hose is in the transmission, once it runs out, put the plug in it. after you drain and fill you can drive around, then recheck the fluid level. I did mine originally @ approx 120000 (was shooting for 100K but didn't get there) then every approx 60k. with the intent to line up transmission fluid swaps eventually at the 50k markers on the odometer around 150-200k. We put 20K on each vehicle per year so i do oil every 5k, wiper blades every fall etc.

These are not the old school transmissions with a pan you drop and swap the filter, reinstall the pan, and fill thru the transmission dip stick. No external hose to tap into to do a "flush" only way to "flush" is new fluid, run it, drain, new fluid again.. I am not that energetic. I can tell you that each vehicle we did change the fluid on was gross.. Even the little Prius had pretty gross fluid.

I cheat and reuse the old drain and fill gasket. I would imagine you are supposed to get new ones, i think you are supposed to get new drain plug gaskets as well but i reuse those for a while as well.. I do however change my drain plug on the oil to magnetic. I probably should change the trans drain plug to magnetic as well. Possible part #'s in picture attached.
diff plugs.jpg

I’m not a fan of the flush. But a fan of dropping the pan cleaning the internal magnets and pulling the screen(filter). You get almost another quart plus get a ton of fine friction particulates off the bottom of the pan where they collect when it sits.

The level should be verified after the trans get to full temp then cooled to 40C. That insures thermostats have opened and no air trapped in the cooling loop.

I’ve done some R&D on Lotus Evora’s, with u660 Toyota trans, with a local company and have pulled pans and valve bodies on 6k mile cars. You wouldn’t believe what collects even though the fluid is clean. Now it’s a different Toyota drivetrain but similar architecture and process they use. One of those cars we had the valve body out of 10 times while developing a shift kit for it.

I’m not a fan of the flush. But a fan of dropping the pan cleaning the internal magnets and pulling the screen(filter). You get almost another quart plus get a ton of fine friction particulates off the bottom of the pan where they collect when it sits.

The level should be verified after the trans get to full temp then cooled to 40C. That insures thermostats have opened and no air trapped in the cooling loop.

I’ve done some R&D on Lotus Evora’s, with u660 Toyota trans, with a local company and have pulled pans and valve bodies on 6k mile cars. You wouldn’t believe what collects even though the fluid is clean. Now it’s a different Toyota drivetrain but similar architecture and process they use. One of those cars we had the valve body out of 10 times while developing a shift kit for it.

Flush in the forceful sense, or? I’m pretty inept when it comes to the nuances of these things which is why I want a good shop to take care of this. What do you recommend I do for my 2013 LX?

I just spoke to riverrat and he suggested not touching it at all. He said that if you haven’t changed it religiously every 3K miles, to NOT touch it because the transmission has adapted to dirty gear oil.

I don’t know about that. No one changes trans fluid every 3. I don’t even do conventional oil under 5k typically. If your having issues a change will do knowthing and in some cases give issues. That’s because all the friction material is gone from the discs and suspended in the fluid. You already have a trans going out. At that point. It might just speed it up.

I’ve pan dropped 6-7 cruisers ranging from 170-250k. With new fluid. My experience is quicker smother shifts. Have 30k abusing mine after Cummins diesel swap.

What was the story about your previous experience. Miles know issues before what happened after.

My experience is when you dish down to the bottom of it people that have horror stories about flushes and new fluid killing trans had know issues before and hoped a fluid change would magically save it. Then it fails completely soon after. Well the key is it had issues before. Magic pixy dust isn’t going to change that.

While RiverRat is the only mechanic (other than myself) that has touched anything i own in the last 15 years, i will agree to disagree with him on that subject. Lubrication properties will erode over time, not get any better.
In English, i have the utmost respect for him, he is honestly the only one i will let touch my vehicles but that is something we will disagree on. I'll report back in 200,000 miles if my theory is correct and the RX goes past 318,000 miles.

all the filter is, is a mesh screen to catch chunks if it's clean, its good to go visual inspection it doesn't hurt but not needed either. I'm in south overland park and Moonlight working on cruisers. SK is lying if they say they can get all but 1-2 quarts. I'll PM you my number.

Jess

I’ve done the transmission fluid swap by disconnecting one of the cooler lines at the front of the radiator, pushing thru a quart, adding a quart, etc. until the fluid was a nice shade of red. I’d ran it forward and reverse to hopefully clear out all areas of the transmission. This worked for my 80, LX450, and 100. Most notable improvement in shifting was with the LX450.

Find a shop that has a BG PF5 Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System | BG Products, Inc.

This is what cruiser dan always suggested when was at american toyota. I have used this process on several truck. In simple terms it takes the pickup line and attaches to new fluid and the return line goes into recovery and uses the normal action of the transmission to basically do a transfusion of the fluid. You can then change the filter if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom