Need help charging system 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning. Is there anyone that can help me track down an electrical issue? I have a trip to Sedona planned for this Saturday and my 100 decided to give me issues days before.

Every morning I'm coming out to a dead battery. Took it to a local shop and they could not figure it out. Alternator is charging and battery is good, there appeared to be no parasitic draw. I did a diode test and it appeared the diode was bad in the alternator so I swapped it out yesterday. came out to a dead battery this morning.

The fuses look fine. Anyone willing to take a look or recommend someone who could diagnose before Saturday?

Good morning. Is there anyone that can help me track down an electrical issue? I have a trip to Sedona planned for this Saturday and my 100 decided to give me issues days before.

Every morning I'm coming out to a dead battery. Took it to a local shop and they could not figure it out. Alternator is charging and battery is good, there appeared to be no parasitic draw. I did a diode test and it appeared the diode was bad in the alternator so I swapped it out yesterday. came out to a dead battery this morning.

The fuses look fine. Anyone willing to take a look or recommend someone who could diagnose before Saturday?
Is your battery new?

Is your battery new?
I just stopped by Wholesale Battery and they swapped out a new battery for me so we're going to see if that was the problem. I'm kicking myself for swapping alternator first but battery tests were coming back good.

something came to mind didn't want to text you this late. touch base tomorrow. but the EFI fuse and relay are problematic. on these rigs. some people have crank no start issues and have seen people with frozen efi relays that will kill the battery will try and grab pictures in the morning you will hear the relay change when unplugged had a customer that pulled the fuse after driving for like 2 months before he brought it in.

Is your battery new?
something came to mind didn't want to text you this late. touch base tomorrow. but the EFI fuse and relay are problematic. on these rigs. some people have crank no start issues and have seen people with frozen efi relays that will kill the battery will try and grab pictures in the morning you will hear the relay change when unplugged had a customer that pulled the fuse after driving for like 2 months before he brought it in.
I have that problem but it does not kill my battery. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the reason my fuel pump does not engage randomly when I turn the switch on. Gonna pull the power now and ck this out in the AM.

Another thought: on 200 series it’s relatively common to get water ingress if the sunroof drains are clogged or the windshield is improperly sealed. The water can get into the connectors in the kick panels and cause all kinds of issues, with battery drain being one of them.

Last edited:
EFI relay seems to click on and off fine.

EFI relay seems to click on and off fine.
Another thought: on 200 series it’s relatively common to get water ingress if the sunroof drains are clogged or the windshield is improperly sealed. The water can get into the connectors and cause all kinds of issues, with battery drain being one of them.

This could definitely be it, my sunroof was leaking when this first started. I ran a bead of silicone around the sunroof since

I have that problem but it does not kill my battery. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the reason my fuel pump does not engage randomly when I turn the switch on. Gonna pull the power now and ck this out in the AM.
Holy cow that worked! !!!

Just a follow up to this. It was the battery. Wholesale Battery in KC swapped me out under warranty and I made it to Arizona and back in one piece (and a new serpentine tensioner after the bearing blew out trailside).

Thanks again to @cjmoon for calling me and talking through some potential issues. If you have any info on that diode voltage booster mod for AGMs I'd be interested.

Here's a pic from Sedona, it was beautiful.

PXL_20230529_185122834.jpg

I have a diode here to "test" but want to piggyback it on a fuse. So I ordered a agm booster with protection built in. Might b here by the time we get back. I ordered 2 if you want to try the second one. Since you have 2 agm batteries it might be a better test. I don't have a second agm in the truck at this time.

I have a diode here to "test" but want to piggyback it on a fuse. So I ordered a agm booster with protection built in. Might b here by the time we get back. I ordered 2 if you want to try the second one. Since you have 2 agm batteries it might be a better test. I don't have a second agm in the truck at this time.
Yeah for sure. I actually just picked up the second battery this week that I'm going to install when we get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom