Navigation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read through the threads in the FAQ section, but still have a question. Is there a way to use the factory nav system for offroad GPS? A disc we can buy, or an update we can obtain? Anyone? Seems it would be easier than adding more screens to the cab of the truck.

The stock NAV system is what it is. I'm interested in the GROM VLine as I'm hoping it would be a good platform to run something like Gaia GPS (Android) on the stock screen. Otherwise I'd mount a tablet on a Pro Clip console mount with a pedestal.

The stock NAV system is what it is. I'm interested in the GROM VLine as I'm hoping it would be a good platform to run something like Gaia GPS (Android) on the stock screen. Otherwise I'd mount a tablet on a Pro Clip console mount with a pedestal.

Someone on here just posted maybe a week ago that they had uninstalled their GROM unit due to buggy interface...

If you follow the GROM VLine threads here on Mud and over on Club Lexus, it definitely is not fully baked yet but it sure is promising.

I have read through the threads in the FAQ section, but still have a question. Is there a way to use the factory nav system for offroad GPS? A disc we can buy, or an update we can obtain? Anyone? Seems it would be easier than adding more screens to the cab of the truck.

You can search for and enter destinations by using the map, or if you know them, the lat-long coordinates. However, if the destination is not on a road that's in the database, the gps guidance will be just to the point nearest your entered destination that is on a road. The screen view even in a no-road area can be useful, because it still shows some geographic features like lakes and rivers. And, you might be surprised (I was) at the number of back roads, forest roads, and almost roads the system has in its database. But, there is no comparison to the utility of a stand-alone gps or the like with topo maps for navigation off-road and there is no separately available disk or upgrade to the basic in-dash OEM system.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It looks like an ipad is in my future. I've followed another thread with the best apps discussed, I can figure it out form here on.

Thanks everyone. It looks like an ipad is in my future. I've followed another thread with the best apps discussed, I can figure it out form here on.

Not a specialized wheeling map tool...but Google maps lets you save regions you draw a box around for off-line use. So... Even out of cellular range on a phone, or cellular/GPS iPad, you can use detailed Google maps for nav. What's cool on Google is the detail of satellite imaging. It can be SO detailed, that it even shows dirt/rock detail with small bushes, logs, boulders clearly visible.

To save a region on Google on iPhone, etc:

1. Make sure to update to latest version of Google Maps app.

2. Hit the menu icon in upper left (three horizontal lines)

3. Tap "Offline Areas" (third choice)

4. Tap "Custom Area"

5. Pinch/Zoom/scroll to the area you want to save, so the box includes it

6. Tap Download

Tada!

**I believe you need to be on wi-fi to download, so plan ahead.

Not a specialized wheeling map tool...but Google maps lets you save regions you draw a box around for off-line use. So... Even out of cellular range on a phone, or cellular/GPS iPad, you can use detailed Google maps for nav. What's cool on Google is the detail of satellite imaging. It can be SO detailed, that it even shows dirt/rock detail with small bushes, logs, boulders clearly visible.

To save a region on Google on iPhone, etc:

1. Make sure to update to latest version of Google Maps app.

2. Hit the menu icon in upper left (three horizontal lines)

3. Tap "Offline Areas" (third choice)

4. Tap "Custom Area"

5. Pinch/Zoom/scroll to the area you want to save, so the box includes it

6. Tap Download

Tada!

**I believe you need to be on wi-fi to download, so plan ahead.
Do you have to do anything special to use them once they are saved? Or does the app automatically load and track you even out of cell range?

It's seamless. You just keep driving and once in the saved area, it just won't go blank like it would when you have no cellular data signal.

After a month or two, the saved maps "expire" so you don't just mindlessly waste storage space on your phone...but no biggie--just grab that area again and off you go.

I use Earthmate all the time. Doesn't need a data connection as the maps can be downloaded. But I do have an inReach GPS/Sat Communicator w/ subscription. Just in case I need to hit that SOS button. I run Earthmate on my iPad and use a Ram iPad mount. I use the floor mount and when we stop for lunch I turn my iPad over and arrange it on the mount like a small table. I plan to make something more effective for a table in the near future.l

Though Earthmate doesn't do "routing" you can upload GPX tracks into the desktop app and then sync then to your iPad. (I have most of the Colorado, Utah and AZ tracks uploaded along with marking key landmarks I like to spot when out and about.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom