Navigation Delete 07.2009 - 01.2012 (w Aftermarket Stereo & Amp Install) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to go a little off topic and don't want to mess up your thread. This is a bit outside my wheel house. My factory amp died. As much as I'd love to change out my whole system my discretionary funds are tied up in other more pressing projects. The factory amp replacement is way more expensive than I'd like to pay. Would it be easy to just change out the factory amp to an aftermarket more economical one without too much trouble?
My factory amp died around July 4. I've been running a quality Bluetooth speaker since then and it is actually fine. I already mostly listened to podcasts and pandora. I do plan on getting the amp repaired at some point. But $400 isn't really a value. Fwiw my factory amp gave no warning it was going out, it just stopped working.
Sadly the aftermarket front ends all use the factory amp.
To replace you need one that can speak can-bus. It isn't a common thing in the aftermarket

Sorry to go a little off topic and don't want to mess up your thread. This is a bit outside my wheel house. My factory amp died. As much as I'd love to change out my whole system my discretionary funds are tied up in other more pressing projects. The factory amp replacement is way more expensive than I'd like to pay. Would it be easy to just change out the factory amp to an aftermarket more economical one without too much trouble?
Call Crutchfield.

Mine did the same. Just died yesterday. No warning, just turned on the car and no sound.

Mine did the same. Just died yesterday. No warning, just turned on the car and no sound.
I am happy to send you my amp from my '10 if you think it will work (don't know your model year). Would just cost you shipping. I have only had the truck a few years and I didn't think it ever sounded great, so not sure if the amp is working 100% or not. But for ~$20 it might be worth a shot.

As for replacement, I can't imagine it is impossible. I recently had major surgery done on our Macan. Nothing was listed anywhere for our model year (much like our LC200s), but I found a guy with a lot of Porsche experience who was able to use 911 tweeters, Cayenne steering wheel controls, etc to make just about everything work with an aftermarket head unit. I will admit this was way above my pay grade, but he was able to pull it off and it sounds pretty damn good.

I mention this because Toyota tech seems to be pretty much the same across its JBL line. Perhaps you could contact TacoTune and pick their brain? Just looking at their site, I see a box designed for the Toyota line to specifically interface with the JBL audio. This link is for Tundra, but might be a worthwhile starting point.

Taco Tunes: Recurve EZQ

I am happy to send you my amp from my '10 if you think it will work (don't know your model year). Would just cost you shipping. I have only had the truck a few years and I didn't think it ever sounded great, so not sure if the amp is working 100% or not. But for ~$20 it might be worth a shot.

As for replacement, I can't imagine it is impossible. I recently had major surgery done on our Macan. Nothing was listed anywhere for our model year (much like our LC200s), but I found a guy with a lot of Porsche experience who was able to use 911 tweeters, Cayenne steering wheel controls, etc to make just about everything work with an aftermarket head unit. I will admit this was way above my pay grade, but he was able to pull it off and it sounds pretty damn good.

I mention this because Toyota tech seems to be pretty much the same across its JBL line. Perhaps you could contact TacoTune and pick their brain? Just looking at their site, I see a box designed for the Toyota line to specifically interface with the JBL audio. This link is for Tundra, but might be a worthwhile starting point.

I just sent Taco Tunes and email. Thanks. Unfortunately the Lexus Mark Levinson is not the same solution as the Toyota JBL, but we'll see what they have cooking.

Alta,

That would be awesome! Mine is a 2010 also. Although, at this point it might just be a just in case, but if you don't need it I would take it. I replaced the amp yesterday and it didn't seem to fix the issue. I'm not 100% that it isnt the amp still though but I am sending back the one I bought as I dont want that replacement cost sitting collecting dust for the time being. But, at this point I don't even know where to go. Do you still have your headunit? That might be my next item to check. This is very frustrating. I spent some time on the phone with my advisor at the toyota dealership and we just arent even sure what it could be at this point. Thanks for the suggestion on Taco Tunes. I'll give them a call. Any other thoughts from anyone is very appreciated.

I just sent Taco Tunes and email. Thanks. Unfortunately the Lexus Mark Levinson is not the same solution as the Toyota JBL, but we'll see what they have cooking.

they say no dice for the lexus

I’ve been looking at Tesla style units on aliexpress. The top of the line android 9 4/64 gb model with a 1080p 13.6” screen And CarPlay is $1250ish. Seems not so bad when the amp repair is $400 to $700. It isn’t clear to me if they require a working ML amp, emails have been sent.

example

Ok, here I would like to present another one project of factory radio replacing.

It took me long time but not because of difficult, just laziness)

So, I started with searching the ways how can I use USB memory stick with my TLC 200 produced in 2008 and found a lot of ways, but most suitable for me was total replacing of factory system. Fortunately some guys already shared information about it.

In general, information, provided by @alta, @TXSunDevil and other guys related to project, was quite straight forward, the problem only that I’m outside of US, live in Kazakhstan, and haven’t access to some conveniences of parts ordering (US vehicles related parts).

I began with checking all information and decided to order empty connectors from US (3 types), at the same time wanted to order connectors pins. @jerryb was very kind and sent me those pins in needed amount and needed types. I think those pins can be found at junk yard already crimped with factory wires) But I bought crimper and good wires and crimped myself. The nightmare is Clock Assembly, which are US-spec, and were available only at few online shops, costed me near 300$ in total, ordered from US )

During awaiting of order, I bought p/n 55900-60F10 which is climate control interface, I found it second hand at local market and the price was near 80$ with minor scratches. Don’t know exactly what is the difference with updated ver. -60F11, but mine works fine.

Also, without any problem ordered Hazard Switch (84332-60280), 2-Din bezel (55412-60350), which hasn’t carbon finish, flat mat (was surprised, since I have seen carbon finish on photos) and two stereo mounts (86211-60230, 86212-60230) left and right. All was available for local ordering.

Crimped pins and assembled connectors and rewrite wiring based on writeups of @alta, information provided in @TXSunDevil thread and my tech manual discovery. Wiring is totally different for “1st generation” TLC200, but it is very easy to follow existing information and factory schemas. I just compared two schemas, for 2009/10 and 2008 and input new data in to @alta’s Excel sheet.

After I screwed all wires, I made test, switch on engine and my climate control, clock and hazard button worked from the first run. I was more than just happy) First stage was done. I had new climate control and there was time to install new audio system.

The next stage is flexible and everybody free to decide what kind of system to use, but mine choice was Kenwood DDX919WS as head unit due to 200mm wide for Toyota bezel and wireless Android Auto (which I'm not able to make to work currently:) DDX919WS | Multimedia and Navigation | Car Electronics | KENWOOD Australia

As amplifier I have chosen AMP Panacea (local Russian brand) Google Translate 80w x 6 channels with processor.

And speakers are set of Morel Tempo Ultra 692 (two way) + morel ccwr 254. In total Three-way system managed from processor amp.

Steering wheel control works without any adapters, just straight connection to Kenwood, and the good thing is that all buttons can be learned. Same for rear view camera, factory camera works fine.

IMG_20191114_145728.jpg
IMG_20191115_162634.jpg
IMG_20200202_194916.jpg
IMG_20200102_185929.jpg
IMG_20200203_113830.jpg

Last edited:
Same for rear view camera, factory camera works fine.

Congrats on your progress and thanks for sharing your experience!

For the rear camera, did you have to splice in an RCA connector or was there a Toyota-compatible plug on your radio?

Congrats on your progress and thanks for sharing your experience!

For the rear camera, did you have to splice in an RCA connector or was there a Toyota-compatible plug on your radio?
Thanks!
Yes, two wires from Toyota connector went to RCA plug, and two wires I used are +12 from ACC wire and ground wire. 4 in total, connected to camera and spliced as I saw in some videos and as was written in your Excel sheet, Kenwood and Clarion page (but same here, wires were different for '08 LC) And yes, so far, +12v is good, camera works fine.

Last edited:
Wanted to give an update to my system issues. I took it to the toyota dealer and they diagnosed it as the amp also. This was a few weeks ago. Although, when the tech told me I needed to get behind the head unit to replace the amp I immediately knew I couldn't trust his initial diagnosis. I ordered a new amp off of ebay. I installed it after it came in and no dice. It still didn't work. Fortunately I ordered an amp from a gentleman that let me return it, which was awesome. He let me know that he fixed head units also. I told him that I was interested but live in Utah and couldnt be without my climate control during the winter. He told me my climate control would be fine without it, which then made me not want to send my head unit to him. @alta was awesome and sent me his amp to try just in case, but did warn me that he wasn't sure it was fully functioning. The amps sat in the house for the last few weeks as I didn't want to work on the car in the cold weather. In the meantime my service rep at the dealership that was working with me called and asked if I had ever got it working, I said no. He told me that they had a 2013 in that the radio wasn't working. They sent the head unit out to get bench tested. It came back fine. So, they ordered the customer a new amp assuming it was that. When they put the customers head unit back in and before they installed the new amp the radio started working again. I thought that was strange but then maybe it being out for some time "reset" the system or something like that. I figured I would try the same. So, I installed the amp back in the car and planned to take the head unit out and try to "reset" the system. Well, I didn't even have to take the head unit out. As soon as I installed the amp back in the car the sound worked again. I'm unsure at this point what is going on. Maybe having my amp out for awhile "reset" or whatever it does to my system. I don't know how long this will last or what I'll need to do when or if it happens again. I was also, reading on some forum of other JBL synthesis systems that sometimes people will over load their cargo areas and bump speaker connectors and that has caused some systems to go down also since they are all on the can-bus or whatever it is. I was planning to go start checking speaker connections after I pulled my head unit for a bit if that didn't fix it. Then after all that I was going to send my head unit in. Hopefully this helps someone somewhere get theirs working also. @grinchy, I know you have been having issues with yours also, although iirc you are in a lx570 so not sure if it would be the same or not. Clearly, there is something weird in these systems. I've been looking at the tesla style ones to upgrade regardless but since that is basically halted due to the virus I'll have to hope mine holds out for a while. Sorry for the long post.

Wanted to give an update to my system issues. I took it to the toyota dealer and they diagnosed it as the amp also. This was a few weeks ago. Although, when the tech told me I needed to get behind the head unit to replace the amp I immediately knew I couldn't trust his initial diagnosis. I ordered a new amp off of ebay. I installed it after it came in and no dice. It still didn't work. Fortunately I ordered an amp from a gentleman that let me return it, which was awesome. He let me know that he fixed head units also. I told him that I was interested but live in Utah and couldnt be without my climate control during the winter. He told me my climate control would be fine without it, which then made me not want to send my head unit to him. @alta was awesome and sent me his amp to try just in case, but did warn me that he wasn't sure it was fully functioning. The amps sat in the house for the last few weeks as I didn't want to work on the car in the cold weather. In the meantime my service rep at the dealership that was working with me called and asked if I had ever got it working, I said no. He told me that they had a 2013 in that the radio wasn't working. They sent the head unit out to get bench tested. It came back fine. So, they ordered the customer a new amp assuming it was that. When they put the customers head unit back in and before they installed the new amp the radio started working again. I thought that was strange but then maybe it being out for some time "reset" the system or something like that. I figured I would try the same. So, I installed the amp back in the car and planned to take the head unit out and try to "reset" the system. Well, I didn't even have to take the head unit out. As soon as I installed the amp back in the car the sound worked again. I'm unsure at this point what is going on. Maybe having my amp out for awhile "reset" or whatever it does to my system. I don't know how long this will last or what I'll need to do when or if it happens again. I was also, reading on some forum of other JBL synthesis systems that sometimes people will over load their cargo areas and bump speaker connectors and that has caused some systems to go down also since they are all on the can-bus or whatever it is. I was planning to go start checking speaker connections after I pulled my head unit for a bit if that didn't fix it. Then after all that I was going to send my head unit in. Hopefully this helps someone somewhere get theirs working also. @grinchy, I know you have been having issues with yours also, although iirc you are in a lx570 so not sure if it would be the same or not. Clearly, there is something weird in these systems. I've been looking at the tesla style ones to upgrade regardless but since that is basically halted due to the virus I'll have to hope mine holds out for a while. Sorry for the long post.
Yeah, the lx570 is a different branding (Mark levinson) but I think the principle s are the same. My amp was not responding on the canbus, and this wouldn’t power on. I did some canbus diagnosis and it was not the head unit. I have since replaced the amp with a custom solution, which sounds great but has a few minor issues I still am resolving.

Any chance of this working with the factory JBL set-up? I have ran into some units that allow this work on Tundra/Sequoia with JBL systems. I don't mind the sound of the original audio set-up.

@alta

This is a great thread. Thank you for putting this together. I have a 2011 w/ infotainment package. From the below rubric, it looks like I would need to source 55900-60F41. Initial searches indicate that 55900-60F41 is currently unavailable. I found 55900-60F40 from a site called caramak in the UAE. However, am a little hesitant to source internationally.

Would any of the others below work with my 2011? Would I experience a tradeoff in functionality if I can't source 55900-60F40 or 55900-60F41? Or maybe I'm not looking to source from the right place?

Thank you!

Climate Control Interface (Toyota OEM) - 55900-60F11
  • 09.2007-08.2010 - 55900-60F11 - (replaces 60F10) - 4-zone, deicer (cold weather package), auto wipers
  • 09.2007-08.2010 - 55900-60F21 - (replaces 60F20) - 4-zone, No deicer
  • 08.2010-01.2012 - 55900-60F41 - (replaces 60F40) - 4-zone, &EMV+DVD CHANGER+AM/FM JBL 14SPEAKE
  • 01.2012-08.2015 - 55900-60L20 - 4-zone, auto AC
  • 01.2012-08.2015 - 55900-60L40 - 4-zone, AUDIO (OVERSEAS MARKET)-EMV + DVD + AM/FM JBL 14SPEAKER

@alta

This is a great thread. Thank you for putting this together. I have a 2011 w/ infotainment package. From the below rubric, it looks like I would need to source 55900-60F41. Initial searches indicate that 55900-60F41 is currently unavailable. I found 55900-60F40 from a site called caramak in the UAE. However, am a little hesitant to source internationally.

Would any of the others below work with my 2011? Would I experience a tradeoff in functionality if I can't source 55900-60F40 or 55900-60F41? Or maybe I'm not looking to source from the right place?

Thank you!

Climate Control Interface (Toyota OEM) - 55900-60F11
  • 09.2007-08.2010 - 55900-60F11 - (replaces 60F10) - 4-zone, deicer (cold weather package), auto wipers
  • 09.2007-08.2010 - 55900-60F21 - (replaces 60F20) - 4-zone, No deicer
  • 08.2010-01.2012 - 55900-60F41 - (replaces 60F40) - 4-zone, &EMV+DVD CHANGER+AM/FM JBL 14SPEAKE
  • 01.2012-08.2015 - 55900-60L20 - 4-zone, auto AC
  • 01.2012-08.2015 - 55900-60L40 - 4-zone, AUDIO (OVERSEAS MARKET)-EMV + DVD + AM/FM JBL 14SPEAKER
partsouq is showing 55900-60F40 available for $536.

partsouq is showing 55900-60F40 available for $536.

Strange, I am showing NOT available. I wonder if they just sold the last one, or if it is a google anomaly.

Here is a descent site to show the differences between the AC controllers:

Thanks Grinchy and Alta!

I guess partsouq and carmarka are both in the uae, so perhaps I shouldn't worry.

partsouq is a little cheaper, but doesn’t have stock.

carmarka sent an email saying they will send me a payment request “shortly”. I assume that means they need to calculate shipping based upon the address I provided them.

one other probably dumb question. we can’t use our existing clock? That seems to be a pricey little piece. Likely the stock nav clock won’t fit in the new cluster, but thought to validate.

you guys are awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom