NAV System Software Update?...failure info? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the nav system does have a operating syst but the problem is with bluetooth execution example tell it to call home or if your phone is ringing the nav will answer it hands free etc. these things will stop working with the virus present but the whole units then stops working now all the vehicle stuff works like heat a/c etc its the nav / phone stuff that gets wacked. plus another thing these are actually little computers so if your car is an 03 the unit was probably made in 02 or close to that; how many people still use there computers that old. a systme is usually only good for 5 years tops then new stuff that is faster comes along

Of course the Nav system has an operating system, but it's not running anything even remotely similar to Windows or Mac OS. It is running a very limited, closed system that simply isn't going to be as vulnerable nor as attractive to prospective virus writers.

I'm wondering if people are confusing a virus with the Bluetooth system just having some bugs in it where it might lock up from time to time or get cranky about connecting to your phone - the problem could just as likely be at the phone end of the equation. As long as my heat and radio controls continue to work, it's definitely not the end of the world if the Bluetooth side of the system and my phone decide they don't like each other anymore :).

In the case of the Nav system in my car, it really doesn't matter if it's 1 year old or 20 years old. As long as it functions in the way it's supposed to, it's good. Sure, a newer system might have some whizz bang features that would make life just a little bit nicer, but so what - we all got along just fine for many years without any navigation / Bluetooth / etc. I guess it just isn't clear what your point is.

The articles you posted links to certainly weren't even remotely definitive that a virus problem exists. Both articles expressed very strong doubts and seemed to be expressing that what was really going on was a case of spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).

sorry if i was confusing but the virus back then affected cabir which is a unit of bluetooth items back then thus it was affected the nav system and unable to open sections of the dvd nav. the virus does not actually affect the nav system just the inbetween party and then its toast. does that make any sense? this is actually old the worm for this was back in 04 or 05 so i would guess if it was in your address book yu would have experienced somthing by now its not dormnt or set on a time table

i have gen 1 on my 02 and if any one has a update disk ?? let me know $$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom