Quick Fix for Nav DVD Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AEC

Threads
I was having the following symptoms with my 2003 Lx470 original nav screen. My nav unit stopped reading the original maps disk (located under the passenger seat). This leads to a very annoying popup displaying on the screen "disk error, check Nav disk" There are a couple different wordings but they all mean the same thing. The unit cannot read or does not have a nav disk loaded under the passenger seat.

I searched all over for a solution and found the following options.
1. Clean the disk and the disk reader (I tried both of these things multiple times and ways to no avail)
2. Buy a new/used maps dvd disc from Ebay (make sure the versions are correct, do some research)
4. Replace the nav unit under the seat (Very expensive IF you can find one...)
3. Do the Nav delete and install the tesla screen (expensive but the long term solution)

My solution:
Unplug the "2nd" plug (#3 on the picture) from the rear of the nav unit. This will remove the popup and all navigation function. Given that it's 2023 and I use my phone for all navigation I was fine with this. The following will no longer work with this unplugged. Everything else is functioning as normal including trip information, climate, radio, and no more annoying popup.
The MAP, DEST, and MENU button will no longer work
The voice commands connected to navigation will not work
Calendar and maintenance calendar is no longer available under the INFO button

Here's what I did that is currently working for me. Remove the panel under the rear of the passenger seat to access the nav unit (this is where you can eject and insert the nav disk). With that removed you will have limited access to the rear of the nav unit. You will have to reach over and feel for the plugs, you can also take the unit out via the 4 10mm bolts and its much easier to see and do. Looking at the front of the unit (where the disk inserts) on the back left of the unit are 5 total sockets for plugs coming from under the seat. The photo below is taken from the back of the unit after it was removed completely. Socket #2 is not used! Socket #3 is what needs to be unplugged.
Rear of Nav.JPG

Below is a picture of the plugs taken from the rear of the seat. They have been number labeled to match the above picture for which socket they go into. The plug labeled #3 is what needs to be unplugged.
Plugs from seat.JPG

Feel free to give it a try if you are having this issue. Keep in mind this is a temporary solution to remove the popup until I get the full nav delete and tesla style screen installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom