Narrowing an FZJ80 full floater (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

beanz2:

My 01/90 HZJ73 has rear discs - FF, LSD.

I see. It must be a JDM vehicle.

PS: My 1987 HJ75 also has factory rear discs, FF and cable lockers :)

Dave

I have been considering the same thing. I picked up front and rear 80 axles with the intent of puttng them under my 40. I like the idea of staying with TOY parts, just because it would be kind of unique.
After I saw how wide Gary's FZJ-45 turned out, and the wider fenders etc...I got to thinking about narrowing the long side of the 80 axles for a more 40ish look.
I am trying to figure out how much it is going to cost me to make this happen before I decide either to do it, or to sell the axles and just go with hopped up 40 parts and be done with it.

Panzer said:
I got to thinking about narrowing the long side of the 80 axles for a more 40ish look. I am trying to figure out how much it is going to cost me to make this happen before I decide either to do it, or to sell the axles and just go with hopped up 40 parts and be done with it.

How much longer is the 80 left side axle compared to a 40/60 axle? That way the only cost would be a new shaft, and materials to shorten the housing.

I see. It must be a JDM vehicle.

PS: My 1987 HJ75 also has factory rear discs, FF and cable lockers :)

Dave

Damn !!!! is a 80 FF 55" width ?

How much longer is the 80 left side axle compared to a 40/60 axle? That way the only cost would be a new shaft, and materials to shorten the housing.

That would be if I had any skills, which I don't.
Looks like all the additional width is on the long side, I still need to measure it to be completely sure.

TAPAGE, 80 ff is 63" wms-wms

That would be if I had any skills, which I don't.
Looks like all the additional width is on the long side, I still need to measure it to be completely sure.

TAPAGE, 80 ff is 63" wms-wms

Ya thanks .. sorry, my bad .. I want to wrote 70 series axle with 55" width ..

Last edited:
Did a search and did not find any info. Has anyone narrowed an 80 axle? I would love to have all the benefits of the 80 axle and the stock width of the 55.
Thanks, Jeff

98eighty on this board has done one. I believe it is on a FJ62 right now owned by John Alverian.

Don

Check and see if the flange from a front axle will fit the rear bolt pattern once the floater axle has been removed. If it fits you can narrow the rear housing, and order axles with splines on both ends.
I did a similar axle for my mini truck using a Ford nine" with Toyota spindles, hubs and disks, ordered axles from Strange Eng. $300,oo each.

Check and see if the flange from a front axle will fit the rear bolt pattern once the floater axle has been removed. If it fits you can narrow the rear housing, and order axles with splines on both ends.
I did a similar axle for my mini truck using a Ford nine" with Toyota spindles, hubs and disks, ordered axles from Strange Eng. $300,oo each.

IIRC, the rear spindle has a few more threads than the front. Plus, the front spindles don't have a seal at the axle end like the rear spindles.

IIRC, 80 rear housing is same as all other LC's just longer on the long side.
Front housing is a High pinion reverse that has more in common with late model minitruck rear housings.
Again, IIRC, front and rear width is 63" wms-wms
Front housing is squarish in the mid section.

IIRC, the rear spindle has a few more threads than the front. Plus, the front spindles don't have a seal at the axle end like the rear spindles.

I am not sure you understand what i was getting at.
What i proposed was to use all the components from a full floating 80 rear axle with the exeption of the axle shafts.
Shorten the housing to the proper length and offsets, then using the blanks (or drive flanges pic # 1) off a front diff, order axle shafts of the apopriate length with splines on both ends.
I have checked the blank against the bolt pattern of the floater axle and they appear to match.(pic #2)
I may be missing something that you are saying but i don't see it.
vinces pics 170 (Small).jpg
vinces pics 169 (Small).jpg

Baxter650, btdt. I did not narrow it, but I run custom Moser shafts in the rear of my truck. Used to run Aisin hubs, but broke them. Now I run the drive flanges on the rear.

If you are going to do all this, you might want to look into redrilling and tapping the hubs for 10mms studs, ream the drive flanges to match and use 10mm studs and cone washers from a 100 series Land Cruiser front. Also someone was making drive flanges that had more holes for dowel pins. If you can find them, that would be better. With large tires and big trucks there is a tendency for the nuts to come loose, then the driveflange (stock axle does this as well) comes loose and wallows out the hole for the dowel pins. Eventually breaking them.

Christo : i to went through the locking hub thing with my 9"/ Toy axle, turned 3 or 4 Aisin's into shrapnel as well, was lucky though, never hurt my axle.
I run a full spool in the rear and tried to run a flange on the pass side and a hub on the other, worked ok if you were gentle.
You could use flanges off a mini truck as i did, they are drilled for 2 dowels and are not scaloped.
The 10mm stud replacement is something i will do to mine before the new engine goes in, i am more that a little scared what 500flbs might do to mine.

Looking at a set of 80 axles for my 4 linked pig, so I dug up this thread.

I don't think shortening the axle housing on a 80 is as easy as a 40/55/60.

It's not round or uniform.

I run 2.5 axle spacers to clear big tires anyway, so the width doesn't bother me so much.

16" rims might be a problem though as I have pretty new 37x12.5x15s on the truck.

IIRC, you can grind the calipers just a hair to clear 15" wheels.

Looking at a set of 80 axles for my 4 linked pig, so I dug up this thread.

I don't think shortening the axle housing on a 80 is as easy as a 40/55/60.

It's not round or uniform.

I run 2.5 axle spacers to clear big tires anyway, so the width doesn't bother me so much.

16" rims might be a problem though as I have pretty new 37x12.5x15s on the truck.

I just cut a bent axle apart and they are round all the way to the axle tubes. The square part is welded on separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom