Myth busted - Snorkel vs Auto Carwash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been very busy with my work + teen kids and keeping my LX570 clean is always a challenge these days.
Now, my truck has a snorkel and going through an auto carwash might be out of luck after all.
However, as much as some members here hate auto carwash, it was time saver and convenient for me to keep my truck relatively clean.

My new local auto carwash place has a feature that they could turn off particular brushes to avoid damaging my roof rack or snorkel while washing.
In the last a few weeks, I've tested the auto carwash with my truck and happy to report that I had zero issue with my snorkel.
Pulled off the air box right after the wash and didn't see a drop of water... I didn't have to turn off the engine while going through the wash either.

It's always best to hand wash your truck but auto carwash is also an option for some people like myself.
Just wanted to share my experience and this is not a recommendation or approval...YMMV.

IMG_8852.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8855.jpg

There is a one way water valve you can install in that box.

It was something like this one but has threads.
Low pressure so if you do get water it would drain out but not let water in.
I put it in my air box.

I found it on one of the threads on here a while back.

Amazon product ASIN B07CC9K599

What Myth are you busting? I have taken my 200 through car washes without any concern. Did the same with my 80, then 100 series and all had snorkels.

I don't mean this to come across as picking or mean. I just never heard anyone say not to.

I am glad you dug into yours to see it wasn't a concern as I am sure that will make a lot of members feel better

To add some technical content. The ARB Snorkel gets rid of some of the water at the head. There is also a drain in the air filter box (at least on my 2014) in the corner closest to the engine and radiator that should be checked when changing the air filter. There are several other vendors of snorkels, but the all will share the drain in the filter box.

A rain storm or car wash are no big deal, but heavy water for longer periods of time will overcome the drain

Correction: I was thinking of my 100 series. The 200 series does not have a drain in the air filter box

From ARB's web site

Huge air flow is but one aspect of the ultimate in snorkel design. The Safari air ram is designed to perform two very important roles. The most obvious is to funnel cool clean air into the snorkel body - but just as importantly, the Safari air ram acts as a highly efficient water separator to remove rain water from the incoming air stream - thus ensuring safe engine operation through even the most torrential tropical storms.
In addition, the detachable Safari air ram can be rotated to any position. This means great peace of mind for those who plan to travel in cold or high altitude conditions where heavy snow falls are anticipated. By rotating the air ram to face away from the prevailing wind/direction of motion, the air ram delivers additional protection from the choking effects of snow build-up inside the air intake.

From ARB's web site

Huge air flow is but one aspect of the ultimate in snorkel design. The Safari air ram is designed to perform two very important roles. The most obvious is to funnel cool clean air into the snorkel body - but just as importantly, the Safari air ram acts as a highly efficient water separator to remove rain water from the incoming air stream - thus ensuring safe engine operation through even the most torrential tropical storms.
In addition, the detachable Safari air ram can be rotated to any position. This means great peace of mind for those who plan to travel in cold or high altitude conditions where heavy snow falls are anticipated. By rotating the air ram to face away from the prevailing wind/direction of motion, the air ram delivers additional protection from the choking effects of snow build-up inside the air intake.
My guess is it does nothing under static conditions without airflow.

I've been a bunch of Hurricanes .. figure it's not going to hurt. Usually I do flip the ram around facing rearward. I did that today in prep for next week.

My Safari just has that scoop on it and not the high end round filter.

If it does get any water in that box, this will let it drip out, and it's a $3 item.

It doesn't look like that version he has you can have the ram face rearward.

Correction: I was thinking of my 100 series. The 200 series does not have a drain in the air filter box
My 2013 has a drain hole. I added a chech valve when I added my snorkel.

1D5FB7C3-92B3-4494-BAE0-48C4F03B6528.jpeg
EAB721BF-F373-4E94-9C86-3970C34602DD.jpeg

IMG_8865.jpg

I searched the internet, and I have seen majority of people against going through the carwash... searched the forum and couldn't find any specific topic related to 200 series either.
In addition, my snorkel has an extra large inlet on the side of snorkel body and concerned me for high-volume water shooting directly into both inlets.
Glad it was safe and others had no issue as well. :)

Seems like good insurance. I ordered the valve
I recommend periodically testing the valve by pouring a little water in the air box and verifying it drains. The valve is pretty small and it wouldn’t take much debris to plug it. I think there is a “duck bill” valve available for the aussie air box that is large and would probably never plug but I don’t think it will work with US air box. You can buy duckbill valves made for this service but the ones I found were too big and I couldn’t see how to install them with relocate the air box.

There is no drain in the 200's airbox.
There was in mine, I plugged it with RTV, then eventually went back and did what @kcjaz did after I found water accumulating in the bottom of the air box after driving in heavy rain. The snorkel head will divert most water but not 100%z. The valve is like $5 on Amazon, just use some RTV to seal it to the airbox. Works like a champ 3 years later.

BBTUS 1/4" 6mm PVDF Ozone resistance one-way check valve, plastic water stops check valve, plastic micro diaphragm check valve https://a.co/d/gJebw8I

Must be aftermarket or added by someone?. My 3 200s don’t have them. 14/20/20
I’m sure the little hole in mine was not after market. It is just a 1/4” hole in the front corner opposite the air inlet. The air box is shaped to have a slope toward that corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom