My version of the PHH bypass! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I finally did my PHH and wanted to give my experience being that I am by no means a master mechanic like many of my fellow mudders that have saved my bacon more than a few times! I wanted to show the average two car garage and jack stand kid of guys that this is not nearly what people work it up to be. Here we go:

1- first I blocked the rear wheels, got the rig in the air and removed the drivers side tire and inner skirt. Also remove the bolts for the dipstick. I didnt do this until the end and wished i would have done it sooner. I slid a light in a gap facing the PHH so I could have good light the entire time which really helped. Drain the radiator and don't make a mess like I did!!! The petcock is on the drivers side at the bottom.

2- next I used what was probably the best 8 dollar HF investment I have ever done! I attached a pic of them. These pliers were vital in every single step! I work off a budget so I was not going to go out and buy anything specialized and I don't own a die grinder. I reached in with the angled pair and hooked the old style clamp and just bent it around for a minute until it finally snapped. Then I was able to reach in with the straight pair and remove the clamp that was closest to the block. Then with the straight pair I shoved them under the rubber to break the metal away from the rubber.

3- I went back to the top and undid the bolt holding the metal pipe to the block. Instead of removing everything to get to the second bolt holding the pipe to the block, I just jiggled it until it snapped off. While doing this, the pipe pulled out of the hose.

4- I went back under the rig and used the long pliers to pull the hose from the block! This whole process only took about 45 minutes.

5- now to put it back on. I had the bypass so I started at the top. I just used a liberal amount of spit! Sort of weird, but works great. I ran it around my brake booster and down.

6- this is the hard step. No matter what USE ALOT OF LUBE!!! This made everything go much easier. The difficult part for me was tightening the clamp. I tried and failed numerous times until I used a small 8mm hand wrench that has the ratchet built into it. I don't know what these are technically called, but the important part is that you use a hand wrench and not a socket wrench. Maybe someone else can, but I destroyed myself trying to use a socket wrench!!

7- reassemble, refill the radiator and then Sit back and realize that you just completed what you have been avoiding for a while! That's what I did. Total time was roughly 3 hours working at a slow pace. Not bad at all. Good luck to everyone! Hope this helps

image-2256782915.jpg

If you just cut the PHH in the middle with a razor knife, then you don't have to drain the radiator or fool with any of the lower hose clamps when space is tight.

Then remove the upper tube bolt, wiggle the tube until the lower bracket breaks and then the tube lifts out from above.

Once the metal tube is out, you can get the hose clamp attached to the head with any type of pliers as there is a lot more room in there.

Replacing the metal tube with 3 inches of hose is easier and cheaper than running 3 feet of hose around your brake booster and it looks cleaner.

^^ I'm sure there are a ton of ways to do it, this is just the way I fumbled through it! Haha. So where Orange County are you from?

Irvine.
Some ways are easier and faster than others and require less special tools.

Cool I used to work at the irvine Marriott! I grew up down there. Yeah I don't have any specialized tools so a made it happen with what I had

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom