My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drew,

It's great that you are keeping up with your fans. Where is the progress? When does the body work crew scheduled to show up? Jake and I are ready (although he may sleep through most of it).:)

Cheers,

Jeff:cheers:

Thanks Jeff-

We are getting close to paint, but I am still trying to drill all my holes and stuff before I squirt it, I am installing most of the accessories today and I will start to strip it for paint this week! :D

As long as your less than bright friend doesn't come over and break your tailgate again.

Thanks Jeff-

We are getting close to paint, but I am still trying to drill all my holes and stuff before I squirt it, I am installing most of the accessories today and I will start to strip it for paint this week! :D
We can provide some help this week in the evening. I have to take my General Ham test on Tursday night so I need to study. Also, I leave Saturday to work abroad for two weeks so if you want my help (as if its worth anything;)) the time is this week. I want to help:) and CM '08 is approaching fast!

Well, I got a lot of work done this weekend, not too much to show for it though. I finished the welding of the floor, front of the tub, axle spring perches, spring mounts, and hangers... etc.

All the structural welding is complete! :D

Axle Ike built me a sweet batter tie down system for me on Saturday, thanks again Isaac! It came out awesome! :bounce:

FWIW, I started drilling holes in the sheet metal for all the accessories that will be attached to this bugger. I got as far as both vents, and three 12v waterproof outlets on the front box. Tomorrow night I will mount the shower, rack system, and water fill holes, as well as the power inlet for the battery charger... I hope :meh:

Once my last box shows up from McMaster this week, I will hinge and install the gas struts onto the lid.

Getting closer, I bought about 20bucks in stainless hardware today to mount everything up with. Man, hardware is expensive. :D

Here are a few shots from the weekend again, not too much to show for a 13 hour day of work.

Rezarf <><
floor weld.JPG
accessories.JPG
accessories2.JPG

Drew,

This is beautiful; i'm all misty:crybaby:

Sorry we can't help this week.:frown:

Cheers,

Jeff

...Getting closer, I bought about 20bucks in stainless hardware today to mount everything up with. Man, hardware is expensive. :D

Rezarf <><[/QUOTE]

So you bought two SS bolts with washers and nuts?! :rolleyes: Everything metal has gotten alot more expensive. And the darn hardware comes from China too...can't seem to avoid it even if you want to :rolleyes: :eek: :D.

Are you planning to install 12V outlets elsewhere on the trailer besides the nose box? I have them on the back above the door...they come in handy when your light/appliance doesn't have a really long cord.

...Getting closer, I bought about 20bucks in stainless hardware today to mount everything up with. Man, hardware is expensive. :D

Rezarf <><

So you bought two SS bolts with washers and nuts?! :rolleyes: Everything metal has gotten alot more expensive. And the darn hardware comes from China too...can't seem to avoid it even if you want to :rolleyes: :eek: :D.

Are you planning to install 12V outlets elsewhere on the trailer besides the nose box? I have them on the back above the door...they come in handy when your light/appliance doesn't have a really long cord.[/QUOTE]

Thanks and yes, steel is crazy right now, actually I got about 120 peices total. All stainless, washers, nylocks a few other things like grade 5 nylocks and stuff too.

I am going to install 2 more outlets on my kitchen counter later on, but these are already over kill for what I need. I want a few out back for exactly what you described.

Thanks! Rezarf <><

So, how did it pull behind the 40?

It pulled fine for a trailer with no wieght on a 3500# axle :D

Just wanted to double check that it was going to track straight before burning in all the suspension welds, they were just tacked before. I am excited to get it on the road! :bounce:

It pulled fine for a trailer with no wieght on a 3500# axle :D

Just wanted to double check that it was going to track straight before burning in all the suspension welds, they were just tacked before. I am excited to get it on the road! :bounce:
I did the same thing, even before I started building the box. bounced alittle but pulled straight:)

Well, time is running short so, you are going to get shorter write ups as we close in on our date...

Here is what I came up with for catches for the tailgate latches. These are really simple but allow me to adjust the catch in all the directions I could need them to adjust. Pretty simple. I used the nut-serts to bolt to in the frame. Seems super strong and they close oh so nice! :D
catch3.JPG
catch1.JPG
catch2.JPG

My buddy AxleIke came over for a little fabbing on the trailer the past two days... THANKS AGAIN ISAAC! :bounce:

Isaac knocked out the battery hold down system and it rocks. First, he made a "hoop" for the batteries to sit in, this will keep them from sliding side to side. Then, he welded up a cross bar thingy to hold the batteries down. After making some beefy hoops to install the J-hooks the thing is done! This was a huge help and it came out really really nice.
battery hold down1.JPG
DSC03404.JPG
DSC03405.jpg

Got the hinges measured, cut, drilled and riveted into place. Once the SikaFlex hardens up tonight I will put the bolts in tomorrow. My box came from McMaster.com so I am in the home stretch as far as fabbing goes. I need to cut a hole for shower and a few other things and I am all set after that... at least to paint it!
lid hinge front.JPG
lid hinge.JPG
lid hinge close.JPG

No worries man.

I'll be out tomorrow too.

Glad you like the holder, but I can't take too much credit, as I just followed your directions.

I figure we came out a wash: I built you a sweet battery holder, but also broke the tail gate once (but you fixed), and nearly messed up your new grinding face mask... :D J/K.

You know I love fabbing, so no worries eh?

I'll ring tomorrow.

Every single time I read this post I am impressed with EVERYTHING you have done!! I like the Strike you made for the latch !!

thanks man, I appreciate it. :D

Tonight I got the hinges installed onto both lids... ahh, now I feel like i am getting somewhere. Again, thanks Isaac! I have to remount the front box due to not accounting for enough clearance between the two boxes so tonight I welded the old mounting holes closed and tomorrow I will open them back up... in the right spot.

Here is what I got done tonight with the help of a few friends.

Lid and rack...
lid hinged1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom