My roof rack build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In preparation for the hopefully soon to come roof top tent I started my full length roof rack build. I first looked into buying pre-bent tube but shipping is killer. I finally settled on borrowing a friend's tube bender. The only set back with that is that he only had 1 3/4" dies. I went with 1 3/4" x 0.095 walled tube to try and keep the weight down. The tent I'm planning on putting up top is 72" wide (mounted sideways). So I decide to keep the rack mostly flat. I settled on a size of 90" x 48". I took a chance and bought 6 JCR Offroad roof rack mounts that were meant for a Cherokee. I ended up extending them 1 inch to help clear the factory roof rack. Having use of the sunroof was important too, so I left open a section above it. Once the tents on it it will cover most of the sunroof but when it's off it will be usable. I also added an upright bar to the front to help keep whatever gets strapped up there from falling on to the windshield. For tie downs I added 1/2" x 0.065 round tube around the edges on the inside of the perimeter. The plan is to add aluminum diamond plate to the section in front of the sunroof opening and behind the sunroof opening. I'll add 3 inch holes above the 1/2" tube to reach down and hook a strap to. I'll have to line the holes with something to keep the straps from rubbing on the diamond plate. I had the rack (and my rock sliders) powder coated with a semi-gloss black hammertone. It left a nice texture but is still all black. Here are some pictures of what's done so far. Enjoy...

20141227_184457.jpg

20141227_191130.jpg

20141227_193200.jpg

20141227_230848.jpg

20141229_203955.jpg

Looks great!! Where did you get your tubing? Also, what's the car in you garage in the 2nd pic?

Thanks. I got the steel from my local steel yard, Pacific Steel. I got three 20' sticks of the 1 3/4" -$130. The 1/2" was in the scrap bin -$10.

The car is my 1967 Triumph GT6. It's currently in the middle of a frame off resto-modification.

I also installed a Amazon 42.5" CREE LED light bar, Zombie light switch and a CSI offroad light wiring harness w/ relay pre-wired. I'm super happy with all of it. The last picture shows brights versus light bar.

20141227_150654.jpg

20141227_150603.jpg

20141227_150615.jpg

20150105_180351.jpg

20150105_180410.jpg

Nice work, my shop is cluttered with a British car as well.

Thanks!

I'm really happy with the mounts so far. I placed the front one right between the doors and the middle one right after the rear door. The doors would have cleared them but this keeps the door seal from rubbing it every time a door is opened.

Just a few pictures of my rock sliders that were powder coated at the same time as the roof rack, and one of the Ballistic Fab skull on the center front upright. I hope to start on the diamond plate soon.

Real nice Burley I like the shape and look. What bender is that?

Thanks. I think it's an old Pro Tools bender but I'm not 100% on that. It makes bending in a relatively small place easier.

Love the rack! Do you know a final weight?

Also - who made the sliders?

Love the rack! Do you know a final weight?

Also - who made the sliders?

Thanks, I don't know the final weight. It's really not as heavy as I think it looks. The thin wall 1 3/4" is a good compromise between strength and relatively light weight.

The sliders came with the truck. All I really know about them is they were built local.

Awesome, thanks!

Have you walked around on your rack at all? If so, have you noticed any flex with the 0.095 thick tubing?

I have walked on it. There is zero flex from my weight. I'd recommend that tube size to anyone thinking about building one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom