My new Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new Toy (more pics)

I work at the U.S. Embassy in Bogota Colombia and freaking FJ's are everywhere... here are the progress pics of my restoration. I only paid 3k for the 78.

Last edited:
Flip the bezel.

Good deal! You have a early model air filter assembly.Did the p.o. change to a early model carb? I can see a white cruiser in the back of your picture .Is it yours? Good luck for your project! :beer:

Roof Rack

How about that roof rack? How is it attached.... are there any supports on the inside - or just mounted directly to the roof? If mounted directly, wouldn't think you could / would carry much cargo - mostly cosmetic.

Hi All:

That "green thing" in the background of one of the pics looks like an old, 1950s Willys-Overland wagon ("the first SUV") to me.

I noticed that your FJ40 is fitted with 70 Series front turn signals - is this a common modification, from your observations, in Columbia?

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Yes...that is a willys...it is one of my co-workers.

Virtually every FJ here has the turn signals attached to the side...the say that the original version starts to wiggle loose...especialy on the crappy roads here. I am choosing to go back to original. Any opinions?? I still have time to stick with the 70 series..

The roof rack came on it....they said that some of them are re-enforced inside to support stuff...DK... It is mounted directly onto the fiberglass

What is the "Bezel"?

This is a 1978...not sure about the early model airfilter.....this is what came on it.

Hey...if any of you all have any suggestions on things you "would have done" tell me....they can do anything here.

I bought the thing for 3K and am spending 5k fixing it up....paint...complete engine, trans...fix up....seals...main bearings...water-pump...gaskets....new door packing, bolts...nuts...windows...clutch...etc...

Also includes a brush guard with lights and the side step bars....

It is now painted...looks freaking awesome.

Last edited:
Oh yea.....there are 2 other FJ's in the shop too...1976 and 1979... but the white one is an FJ-43...longer back.. They weren't imported to the USA.

Labor is so cheap here.....the labor portion on this job is less than 2K.

I am suppose to drive it away Tuesday 31st...

I would post more pics....but It seems to be limited....

If you intend to bring it to the US better check on what they stuff the seats and door panels with.

And flip that bezel!!

LoL! OK, the bezel is the trim piece around the headlights. Yous is upside down according to the general belief of this board even though I've seen old Toyota advertizements showing the bezel also "upside down".

It's common to harrass new members here who show pictures of their cruisers with the bezel your way.

I've told you too much...

haha.... thanks....I will look at other photos to I can see the difference....

Can you stuff that 43 in your door panels??!!! I'll give you a great deal on it! :D

-Dustin

I was originally looking for a 43....but I was running out of time before I had to leave.....1 more month!!

But they are everywhere....

Not to be rude, but you suck. I am just a little bit jealoust!!!!!!!!!!

probably Spectre though I dont htink they are listed on their site. You would need to call in a special request. or check the canadian and australian Cruiser companies. like these guys: http://store.4wheelauto.com/index.php

They are cool. i would like a set myself.

-Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom