My new FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It s been a long while, but im back in the game. Picked her up about 2 weeks ago i have been fixing all the Po's mystery wiring and cleaning it up. the plan is TBI, power steering, FJ 60 axles for now to get it road worthy and reliable. Stuff keeps breaking and/or craping out, the PO hadnt driven it for the last couple years.
P2270109.jpg
P2270119.jpg
P2270111.jpg

So far i have trimed some metal from under the doors, ground some rust from the inside and painted it black, new yellow top optima, man-a-free battery tray, GM 10SI alternator, installed a relay to activate the HEI so it gets full power on cranking. And then today the starter took a dump, wont even click when i turn the key. i still have to make the maker lights works, and the wipers. And the rest of the gauges.
P2270118.jpg
P2270114.jpg
P2270117.jpg

the cruiser looks great! but the wire you ran from the relay through the hole in the support bracket will eventually wear a hole through the wire and fry something. you should put a rubber grommet in there to keep it from doing so. i also installed relays to run full power to my HEI and head lights. and one question on the man-a-fre battery tray, how do you like it ? i am thinking about buying one but may just fab one.

I guess i could have made a batt tray, butt it was raining and i wanted to drive my truck. Its a great product, really well made and it fits nice, if your going to buy one i would recommend it.

Looks like a nice start.

:confused:Is that the fuel line behind the alternator with the big kink in it? If so, might want to straighten that out for any high speed fuel delivery.

Couple up dates. I installed a Remote starter solenoid....for the starter, and a new starter. Works like a champ!! went out driving to get the oil changed, and then... after the oil change she wouldnt start!! that dang HEI solenoid crapped out. I dont know what happened. Any thoughts, anyone?? i bought a new one ill put it in tomorrow, maybe change its location to inside the cab.

pics are, starter jumper cable, solenoid, and wiring.
P2280123.jpg
P2280125.jpg
P2280126.jpg

yea, thats the fuel line. Its on my list of stuff the PO did that needs to be fixed. High speed, thats funny!

yea, thats the fuel line. Its on my list of stuff the PO did that needs to be fixed. High speed, thats funny!

Well, engine speed vs road speed anyway. :p

Don't know what induction you have on there, but my Q-jet on a 5/16 line will run out of gas if you open the secondaries at 65mph. 3/8 line made the difference.

I don't know what carb it is, but its a 2 barrel. I think im gonna fuel inject it TBI. Or one of those holley truck avenger carbs?

What is the reason for the remote solenoid? it seems to me that redundant solenoids would make troubleshooting starter problems more difficult and one more electrical part to worry about. :meh:

Something that I noted in the picture of the starter mounted to the block, look past it and note the one peice oil pan gasket and youll see the bulge thats used for a block that has a dipstick on the passenger side. There will be a oil leak there. Makes for a bad situation of a good Fj build

1. The remote starter solenoid, I was reading is for the chevy hot start when the stock starter gets hot it draws more power from the harness so this way the mainharness s not connected to the starter, bt to the solenoid and you jump the 12v switch lead direct to the batt lead so the starter gets full power all the time and there is minimal amp draw from the cruiser wire harness.

2. Thanks for the info on the oil pan gasket, I'll add that to my list.

3. Thanks for the offer about the TBI stuff, I'm not quite ready to cross that bridge yet. Exhaust, and then power steering are next n

I have fuel injection stuff if you need, OE TBI
Im in San Jose

I might be interested in the TBI stuff.

PM me some details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom