My new BFG KM2's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems like many are reporting on their new rubber lately so I figured I would as well for those looking for options.

After reading a ton of reviews I decided to go with the BFG KM2's. I went with size 315/75 R16. I still have my 285's which I'll use on the street so no gears as of yet.

First impressions, I love these tires. They look fantastic and have very tolerable road noise. They did drop my MPG but I knew that going in and as I stated I still have my 285's.

I took them out on the trail this weekend and was able to go more places more easily. I used my rear locker once when before I needed both of them many times. I aired down to 12 psi which was probably a bit to low as you can see in the pictures but to my amazement (and many others spotting me) they never popped the bead. Here are some pics to show their performance.

DSC_0044.jpg

LittleMoab6.jpg

littlemoab1.jpg

LittleMoab3.jpg

030709052.jpg

We did have a nice little snow storm this morning and the streets were covered with ice. They handle quite nice and did about as good as my A/T's. So far I'm very happy and I'll keeping this for many years and with the no hassle warrenty I got with them I plan on romping on them even harder. I'll report back if I ever kill one.

Last edited:
I can't believe those tires are still on the rim. in the picture with the dog, it appears as if the rim is touching the ground!

Thanks, I'm running 850j+1"/863

I know, I had no idea until I saw the pictures after. Everyone was freaking out. Pretty impressive sidewalls, but I think I'll run 15-17 PSI next time.

yup, impressive. When I saw the pic, I was expecting you to tell us a story about they got punctured right away... :)

Do these rims have a slot/recess for the bead edge?

Nice pics. I just installed the same tires recently and have been very impressed in the snow so far. I upgraded my 285 Toyo M/T's and I had already regeared to 4.88 so I'm where I want to be now. I have my air downs set at 15 psi and that seems to be a good spot.

Yep...been running the KM2's for about a year and love them. The second pic was me running them at 10PSI and did not pop a bead.

^^^What he said^^^

Also nice and smooth over the rocks. I usually run them about 15 but went a lilttle low that time to see how they would do.

I would not run so low. Why risk damaging expensive tires?

Because you get better traction.

-Spike

Because you get better traction.

-Spike

I see, let's run 1 psi then?
Plus, besides possibly shredding the side wall, you also get to grind the wheel on the ground if the tire pops, which will increase traction a bit too... :)

OK, seriously, there is low and then there is too low...

Now if they would just make them in 36x12.50s!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish there were some other options besides TSLs for that size, which is great tire size for an 80.

Thanks for the positive report, I've been thinking about a set to get something a little more road-worthy than the TSLs, but hate to lose the size.

I see, let's run 1 psi then?
Plus, besides possibly shredding the side wall, you also get to grind the wheel on the ground if the tire pops, which will increase traction a bit too... :)

OK, seriously, there is low and then there is too low...

The tire won't stay on the wheel at 1 PSI. It obviously will at 12. The whole idea behind lowering the pressure on rocks is to wrap the tire around the rock. If the sidewall isn't flexing, it's not aired down enough to do you much good. Yes, 20 PSI will soften the ride and be safer, but some people want more than that. Traction.

-Spike

The tire won't stay on the wheel at 1 PSI. It obviously will at 12. The whole idea behind lowering the pressure on rocks is to wrap the tire around the rock. If the sidewall isn't flexing, it's not aired down enough to do you much good. Yes, 20 PSI will soften the ride and be safer, but some people want more than that. Traction.

-Spike

why are you telling me this? I didn't say anything about 20 psi. I've run mine lower than 20 but some of these pics look like it's getting too squished with significantly higher likelihood of damage IMHO.

Nice shoes.

We run our 35" BFG AT's at anywhere from 8 to 14 on the trail. Usually hovering 10-12 psi. Never blown a bead off yet, and traction and ride quality are great at that pressure. We run 40 psi on the street.

These are stock rims and this was just a starting point. I borrowed a set of tire deflators from a friend and they were set to 12 PSI. I think they were too low and will run 15-17 from now on. I just thought I'd show them off and what their capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom