My new '88 FJ62! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Run a can of Rislone Rear Main Seak Leak stopper through it.. you might be able to significantly delay the need to do that rear main and sump seals.. rear main seak leaks are often misdiagnosed as well, dont rush to do this unless you're 100% sure. The bottom of the bell housing does tend to collect oil from other, less expensive, leaks.

Are there any downsides to doing this? I've been noticing very slight leaking near my transfer case and wondered if something like this would help.

I hope you will forgive my ignorance but what does it mean to "desmog". In California I need to smog it every other year.
Means pulling your smog pump off and all the other crap that gives you vacuum leaks. We have a lot more freedom here in TX to live in general. You need to research vacuum leaks, not desmog methods. See cleaner engine bay below and all the s*** I got rid of....
FJ60desmogfrmSpags1.jpeg

FJ60DesmogfrmSpags2.jpeg

I hope you will forgive my ignorance but what does it mean to "desmog". In California I need to smog it every other year.
It's the removal of all the emissions-controlling components under the hood. You can read up on it for days on this forum but it isn't anything you should be concerned about if you're in CA.

It's the removal of all the emissions-controlling components under the hood. You can read up on it for days on this forum but it isn't anything you should be concerned about if you're in CA.
Dang. I'll keep that in mind if I ever move to a different state. Thanks for the clarification.

Welcome to Mud.

Despite your long list of mechanical 'to do's', you're in a good position. By getting a rust free truck, you've avoided a mountain of headaches. Mechanical items are much easier to DIY.

Do not desmog if you live in CA. The fuel injected FJ-62's don't need it like the FJ-60's anyway.

I'd suggest not making any modifications for at least a year. Just drive and enjoy it. Spend your time getting to know what you like and dislike about it. Learn to maintain the simple items first. Most modifications have a down side. Most mudders think the way they've modded their truck is the best thing ever and urge you to do what they've done (me included). Most mods also require additional mods in an expensive cascade. Or one mod may prohibit a different mod you would like even more. It all has to be built as a system with the end result planned in advance. If you jump onto one path you may find you need to undo something expensive to change to a different path.

Land Cruisers are a very capable truck right out the box and Toyota planned the various compromises of gearing, transmission, braking, and suspension height and hinge points very carefully.

Good luck.

Are there any downsides to doing this? I've been noticing very slight leaking near my transfer case and wondered if something like this would help.

I've never used it in a transmission or transfer. Mostly transfers leak from the output seals and they're fairly easy to change. The other common transfer leak is the idler shaft O-Ring at the back of the transfer and thats another easy fix. If its only a slight leak I'd just ignore it personally :)

@60Works You sound like there is some real world experience guiding your advice! I will happily take this kind of advice. Here's the general breakdown of what I envision for the truck.
  • 95% of the time it will be cruising around on paved roads. Probably the majority of the time, city roads rather than highway.
  • 5% of the time it will be taking me camping. Some trails and trail heads will require a bit of capability but not necessarily crawling.
    • I live in the western Sierra Nevada's and spend time camping around Lake Tahoe and the surrounding wilderness.
      • There is a lot of granite where we are so there are plenty of mostly buried boulders that like to kiss the bottom of the rig and I would like to avoid that ... obviously
    • I also spend a lot of time in Idaho which requires the ability to drive in fields, cross occasional small streams, canal roads, the occasional slick mud, snow, ice etc.
      • I don't plan on adding a snorkel.
  • I don't plan on doing much to the engine except getting it as pristine as I can.
  • Perhaps an upgrade on the transmission.
    • 5 speed?
    • Auto or manual?
  • I want the interior to be showroom new, but with a decent stereo.
    • With regard to the stereo, I don't think I will put in a stereo that requires an amp or subs. I don't want to loose the space inside the cab, and honestly I think an over the top stereo is obnoxious (I have one in my 2003 F350, so I know something about being obnoxious.)
    • What about a CB? There are times I've wished I had one. I've never owned one before. The second bay under the stereo deck seems like it could be a good spot to mount one. I'd like to keep the CB fairly tight/trim/organized/tucked away if you know what I mean, I don't want a lot of mess in the cab. So If there is an aftermarket console to put it in, or the second radio bay, I think it would be good for what I want.
  • I plan on the exterior as a resto-mod.
    • I will likely put on an ARN bumper on the front and have some ideas on the back. There is currently a split swing arm on the back. I wish they locked in the open position though. You have to hold it open with one hand while digging in the back of the truck.
    • Warn winch to put my mind at ease when I am out of cell service, there are antelope trying to jump in front of the truck or I end up in mud, snow, ditch, etc.
    • Roof rack is likely
    • Round running lights on the bumper
  • 80's era looking headlights but more functional. I like when something looks original but functions better.
  • I want to improve the suspension and know that there are a lot of OME options but I haven't explored them too much.
    • I'm open to advice on lift height and tire size.
      • In different ways, I like the look of both 31" and 33" tires. Generally though I like the look of a tastefully lifted truck. 2" lift on 33"s?
        • emphasis on ride quality since 99% of the time their job is going to be to be quiet and look cool
    • Is there anything I know know about wheel rub, spacers, or lift height if I were to put 33's on?
  • Paint
    • The paint is actually in pretty decent shape and I just plan on keeping it waxed until I'm ready to repaint it. I've heard some people will go to Mexico because they use better paint and work cheap. Any experience in this arena?
  • There are lots of fun aftermarket things like replacing the panels in the back for storage, or replacing the back windows with flip up windows but I don't plan on doing any of those optional/expensive changes any time soon.

@Gringo, congrats on your acquisition. Your list...even your last post, provides you with a tremendous amount of necessary research here on the site. And this site is where to find folks who know the hard facts or can direct you to them if you can't find them in the searches or the FSM. You will stumble onto things that you had no idea was an issue because some kind, experienced soul here spoke up. For instance, you mentioned 31 or 33 tires. Tire size is closely interrelated to gear ratio. You will find a chart that shows where the heart of the size envelope is for given gear ratios. I certainly never knew until someone here mentioned it.

I think @60Works' advice to take it slow is excellent advice. It will give you time to research various paths and creating a goal that results in synergy, as he describes. Also as he describes, a lot of people jump on this or that thing. Being the original owner of our '90 FJ62, I can tell you that some things have actually improved and may not need drastic changing. A lot of folks jump on the LED headlight and/or headlight harness upgrade. I thought I was headed that way because my headlights seemed dim as I began restoration last year. Turns out the old sealed beams were...old, and the light "capsule" in the steering wheel switch assembly was beginning to fail, degrading the load to the headlights. With the switch issue solved, the Sylvania sealed beam replacements with their new filaments and a redesigned lens are superbly bright and full spectrum accurate color. Saved a bunch there.

Another thing to consider on our older vehicles is that the engine responds to every pound we add to it whether it's larger tires, different bumpers, extra humans, dogs, gear, etc.. You will find that a drive on a nearby mountainous highway will tell you a lot about your vehicle. Do it by yourself, then take another human, some groceries, and the 80 pound dog. You might be surprised at the difference. You might consider only the front ARB bumper just to save the load on the engine if it seems to not want any more weight (or similar compromises). Also take a point and shoot digital thermometer and check the temp of the tranny pan on both driver and passenger side a few times along the way. That will likely be a real eye-opener. All these things "educate" you on the real-world condition and potential of your vehicle.

You might consider shopping around the forum looking at builds/restorations that had goals and aesthetics similar to yours.

And yes...it will be expensive, but this way you can program the investment out, even if you are not doing all the wrenching.

Good luck. ;) :)

Last edited:
@Gringo, congrats on your acquisition. Your list...even your last post, provides you with a tremendous amount of necessary research here on the site. And this site is where to find folks who know the hard facts or can direct you to them if you can't find them in the searches or the FSM. You will stumble onto things that you had no idea was an issue because some kind, experienced soul here spoke up. For instance, you mentioned 31 or 33 tires. Tire size is closely interrelated to gear ratio. You will find a chart that shows where the heart of the size envelope is for given gear ratios. I certainly never knew until someone here mentioned it.

I think @60Works' advice to take it slow is excellent advice. It will give you time to research various paths and creating a goal that results in synergy, as he describes. Also as he describes, a lot of people jump on this or that thing. Being the original owner of our '90 FJ62, I can tell you that some things have actually improved and may not need drastic changing. A lot of folks jump on the LED headlight and/or headlight harness upgrade. I thought I was headed that way because my headlights seemed dim as I began restoration last year. Turns out the old sealed beams were...old, and the light "capsule" in the steering wheel switch assembly was beginning to fail, degrading the load to the headlights. With the switch issue solved, the Sylvania replacements with their new filaments and a redesigned lens are superbly bright and full spectrum accurate color. Saved a bunch there.

Another thing to consider on our older vehicles is that the engine responds to every pound we add to it whether its larger tires, different bumpers, extra humans, dogs, gear, etc.. You will find that a drive on a nearby mountainous highway will tell you a lot about your vehicle. Do it by yourself, then take another human, some groceries, and the 80 pound dog. You might be surprised at the difference. You might consider only the front ARB bumper just to save the load on the engine if it seems to not want any more weight (or similar compromises). Also take a point and shoot digital thermometer and check the temp of the tranny pan on both driver and passenger side a few times along the way. That will likely be a real eye-opener. All these things "educate" you on the real-world condition and potential of your vehicle.

You might consider shopping around the forum looking at builds/restorations that had goals and aesthetics similar to yours.

And yes...it will be expensive, but this way you can program the investment out, even if you are not doing all the wrenching.

Good luck. ;) :)
Fantastic advice. I'll take every bit of it. Thanks for the info and the time it took to think it through and type it up. I really appreciate it.

Electronic copies of the FSM are available for free on mid...links are posted in people’s signatures and classifieds I believe.

All good advice. Definitely add a transmission cooler. It’s an easy mod with huge upside for the A440F tranny in the 62.

Electronic copies of the FSM are available for free on mid...links are posted in people’s signatures and classifieds I believe.

All good advice. Definitely add a transmission cooler. It’s an easy mod with huge upside for the A440F tranny in the 62.
thanks, I downloaded them yesterday. I skimmed through one of them and can see how amazing they will be. I was laughing a bit because my typical reaction is to run to youtube, but the FSM seemed more thorough than anything I could likely find on YouTube. Thanks for the heads up on the transmission cooler.

@60Works I want the interior to be showroom new, but with a decent stereo.

With regard to the stereo, I don't think I will put in a stereo that requires an amp or subs. I don't want to loose the space inside the cab, and honestly I think an over the top stereo is obnoxious (I have one in my 2003 F350, so I know something about being obnoxious.)

Here's my $0.02 on the stereo... (It's what I plan to do with mine soon, as well.) Go with a Dual-DIN unit that is Apple/Android and backup-camera compatible, and add the backup camera. If you're driving around town, sooner or later you'll likely be backing the cruiser up in a parking lot with pedestrians and low-profile vehicles that are harder to see in the cruiser. If you're like me, you'll appreciate the assistance the backup camera provides in this situation.

Here's my $0.02 on the stereo... (It's what I plan to do with mine soon, as well.) Go with a Dual-DIN unit that is Apple/Android and backup-camera compatible, and add the backup camera. If you're driving around town, sooner or later you'll likely be backing the cruiser up in a parking lot with pedestrians and low-profile vehicles that are harder to see in the cruiser. If you're like me, you'll appreciate the assistance the backup camera provides in this situation.

Good advice...and easily affordable these days.

My go-to daily vehicle is a late model Sequoia...of course with a camera. When I get in the Cruiser, I'm shocked at how good the 360 visibility is by comparison. My 2-din head has camera capability. I'll add a camera one of these days.

Dang man, not 5 minutes ago my wife said the same thing about Apple play. She has it in her minivan and loves it. The camera thing makes sense. I don’t have one in my commuter car but I imagine the higher ride height would increase the difficulty of backing up

The paint is actually in pretty decent shape and I just plan on keeping it waxed until I'm ready to repaint it. I've heard some people will go to Mexico because they use better paint and work cheap. Any experience in this arena?

Seems unlikely that Mexican-sourced paint is 'better' or more durable. I would move slowly on paint, especially if you're going to wheel it. And a bad repaint is worse than worn original paint, in that you have a lot more work to paint it again later. Patina is all the rage these days, and if the OEM paint is just worn here and there, it can give some character to the truck. Good repaints are many thousands of dollars and very time-consuming. I'm sure you can get a quality repaint in Mexico, but you'd have to know a lot up front or babysit the process, or else you're just taking a big chance on whomever you hire.

I have no idea about paint types but there may be some truth to the Mexico sourcing better quality paints, or more likely good quality at a lower costs, due to the lack of EPA restrictions.

Here's a few updated pictures. @orangefj45 did a TON of work. Mechanical and otherwise.

61350195485__BAB5EC26-3942-4ED0-867E-15D7E1FB0FB0.JPEG

61368516102__5588CD8A-C3F9-4885-97FF-5DB9D831122E.JPG

IMG_3086.JPEG

IMG_3088.JPEG

IMG_3089.JPEG

Here's a few more pictures

IMG_3093.JPEG

IMG_3094.JPEG

IMG_3109.JPEG

IMG_3110.JPEG

IMG_3111.JPEG

5 more