My new '88 FJ62! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey guys I purchased an early 88 FJ62 yesterday, my first LC; about 240k miles. Zero rust on the frame or body. There are a few trim pieces that are toast but I've already ordered some of those with the help of ebay. My local mechanic did all the pre-purchase inspection for me and came up with a looooong list of mechanical issues. I'm planning on having him help me with the stuff that I can't figure out how to do yet in order to get it a bit more road worthy. There's some funky electrical stuff going on too, like when you turn on the headlights, the dash blinker indicator arrows illuminate (solid) even though the blinkers aren't on. All of the dash lights except for the blinker indicator lights are burned out or not working. The compression was surprisingly good on all 6 and was only off by 6 between the highest and lowest cylinder. In no particular order, here's a general rundown of some of the projects in my future:
  1. New exhaust
  2. The AC pulley is missing so we couldn't run a thorough test on that yet
  3. The radiator had some epoxy on it to cover a previous leak
  4. Needs all new hoses throughout, they are all hard as rock
  5. All the bushings are cracked and crumbling
  6. Dash electrical issues
  7. alignment is off
    1. Also needs suspension and tires
  8. Steering box has play and is leaking
  9. Steering pump has a leak
  10. Transmission pan is leaking
  11. Rear main seal and oil pan leaks
  12. left front shock is leaking
  13. swaybar and bushings are bad
  14. right front ball is loose
  15. new belts
  16. valve adjustment
  17. cab bushings are cracked
  18. new tires
whew! That was a lot of stuff ... wish me luck. I could use some help figuring out some of the stuff that I don't know about ... simply because I have never owned a vehicle like this. I imagine there is also stuff that my mechanic won't even know to look at, such as the plug on the engine that everyone says should be tapped and a bolt put in its place. I want to add a shoulder seatbelt for the back seat passengers as well. This being my first project, any ideas about grouping of issues would also be appreciated. Thanks all and I look forward to sharing the LC adventure.

IMG_9879.jpg

Very nice looking Land Cruiser. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've like mine over the last 28 years. Mine is also an early 88, manufactured at the Plant 1 line in October 1987. If you don't mind the question, how much?

And get used to having that grin on your face for a while, although you might have reason to scowl every once in a while.

Very nice looking Land Cruiser. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've like mine over the last 28 years. Mine is also an early 88, manufactured at the Plant 1 line in October 1987. If you don't mind the question, how much?

And get used to having that grin on your face for a while, although you might have reason to scowl every once in a while.
It was all grins as I drove to work today and even got a thumbs-up from a guy. I paid $11k

Run a can of Rislone Rear Main Seak Leak stopper through it.. you might be able to significantly delay the need to do that rear main and sump seals.. rear main seak leaks are often misdiagnosed as well, dont rush to do this unless you're 100% sure. The bottom of the bell housing does tend to collect oil from other, less expensive, leaks.

Looks great!!! Get the FSM. Dive in. Lotsa help here. So satisfying to DIY. It’s a great journey.

Nice... just got a 62 couple weeks ago too.... Might want to add a transmission cooler to the list from everything I have been researching...

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness and enjoy life in the slow lane.
haha, yeah I already know what you mean by that. I enjoyed my relaxed drive home. Light rain, classic rock station, my top speed as I drove around the lake today was about 10 mph slower than my normal commuter ... and I loved the whole drive.

Looks great!!! Get the FSM. Dive in. Lotsa help here. So satisfying to DIY. It’s a great journey.
by FSM do you mean Flying Spaghetti Monster or Factory Service Manual ... jk, thanks I'm looking forward to it and I appreciate the tip.

Hey guys I purchased an early 88 FJ62 yesterday, my first LC; about 240k miles. Zero rust on the frame or body. There are a few trim pieces that are toast but I've already ordered some of those with the help of ebay. My local mechanic did all the pre-purchase inspection for me and came up with a looooong list of mechanical issues. I'm planning on having him help me with the stuff that I can't figure out how to do yet in order to get it a bit more road worthy. There's some funky electrical stuff going on too, like when you turn on the headlights, the dash blinker indicator arrows illuminate (solid) even though the blinkers aren't on. All of the dash lights except for the blinker indicator lights are burned out or not working. The compression was surprisingly good on all 6 and was only off by 6 between the highest and lowest cylinder. In no particular order, here's a general rundown of some of the projects in my future:
  1. New exhaust
  2. The AC pulley is missing so we couldn't run a thorough test on that yet
  3. The radiator had some epoxy on it to cover a previous leak
  4. Needs all new hoses throughout, they are all hard as rock
  5. All the bushings are cracked and crumbling
  6. Dash electrical issues
  7. alignment is off
    1. Also needs suspension and tires
  8. Steering box has play and is leaking
  9. Steering pump has a leak
  10. Transmission pan is leaking
  11. Rear main seal and oil pan leaks
  12. left front shock is leaking
  13. swaybar and bushings are bad
  14. right front ball is loose
  15. new belts
  16. valve adjustment
  17. cab bushings are cracked
  18. new tires
whew! That was a lot of stuff ... wish me luck. I could use some help figuring out some of the stuff that I don't know about ... simply because I have never owned a vehicle like this. I imagine there is also stuff that my mechanic won't even know to look at, such as the plug on the engine that everyone says should be tapped and a bolt put in its place. I want to add a shoulder seatbelt for the back seat passengers as well. This being my first project, any ideas about grouping of issues would also be appreciated. Thanks all and I look forward to sharing the LC adventure.

View attachment 1983241
Best advice I got when I bought my first one this year. Buy the service manual and dive in. You'll save a ton. And MUD is the greatest resource you could ask for!

This is the right place for you to go from having "my mechanic" to DIY. If you're gonna own an old rig, wrenching is in your future. With some time/patience/advice from the forum, you'll be the world's expert on your rig and will likely not trust it to anyone else for repairs. You'll know FAR more than your mechanic will about your truck.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
I am only a DIYer when it comes to changing fluids, things like redoing the interior...now I can do some AC work. I bought mine about 2 years ago and had a similar list. I upgraded to 5 speed and got all new suspension, new interior and a decent list of to dos and am now leak free, new interior, everything works....Long story short, I spent about what I paid for mine to get it there. I would expect that you will put $3-4K in it right away before getting to any upgrades. Good luck.

88 fj62 is the best vintage... and 3f4 red, even! Mine has 387k on the clock... you got some driving to do...

I am only a DIYer when it comes to changing fluids, things like redoing the interior...now I can do some AC work. I bought mine about 2 years ago and had a similar list. I upgraded to 5 speed and got all new suspension, new interior and a decent list of to dos and am now leak free, new interior, everything works....Long story short, I spent about what I paid for mine to get it there. I would expect that you will put $3-4K in it right away before getting to any upgrades. Good luck.
How did you switch to a five speed?

How did you switch to a five speed?

I used Valley Hybrids....I didnt want to be out of commission so I bought a tansfer case core and had it rebuilt and mounted up to a new H55 and shipped to the shop I used. With mine being a '83, my drive shafts had to be shortened and lengthened, but yours would be a straight swap out. I sold the older tranny and tansfer case when it was all said and done locally. You would also want to do a few other things when making the switch like the rear main seal, but George at Valley can hook you up with all that. If you ever get ready to do it reach out to a few that have done before. I friended up with a couple local guys who had done it and reached out for advice. My truck only sees 3000 rpm now on occasion between 1st and second when I dont change fast enough and I can cruise up to the deer lease at 75 without a problem and without my engine sounding overstressed. Expensive but worthwhile upgrade if you plan on doing longer trips. I got EVERYTHING else in order before I did that upgrade. Addressed my initial laundry list...galley plug, new alt., AC, lights, brakes, desmog, headers, interior, new suspension, etc....152K miles on mine now.
FJ60Tint.JPG

I used Valley Hybrids....I didnt want to be out of commission so I bought a tansfer case core and had it rebuilt and mounted up to a new H55 and shipped to the shop I used. With mine being a '83, my drive shafts had to be shortened and lengthened, but yours would be a straight swap out. I sold the older tranny and tansfer case when it was all said and done locally. You would also want to do a few other things when making the switch like the rear main seal, but George at Valley can hook you up with all that. If you ever get ready to do it reach out to a few that have done before. I friended up with a couple local guys who had done it and reached out for advice. My truck only sees 3000 rpm now on occasion between 1st and second when I dont change fast enough and I can cruise up to the deer lease at 75 without a problem and without my engine sounding overstressed. Expensive but worthwhile upgrade if you plan on doing longer trips. I got EVERYTHING else in order before I did that upgrade. Addressed my initial laundry list...galley plug, new alt., AC, lights, brakes, desmog, headers, interior, new suspension, etc....152K miles on mine now. View attachment 1983624
I hope you will forgive my ignorance but what does it mean to "desmog". In California I need to smog it every other year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom