My mistake, your benefit (for newbs..) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, OK, before you all scream I TOLD YOU SO... I picked up a used ARB REAR bumper from fellow mud member JonahTapert. It was a great deal and for less than $500 I couldn't pass it up. ($800 then I sold the tire carrier for $300). I was torn a bit with the Slee rear bumper, but ARB makes good stuff, so why not at that price.... Plus, I got it powder coated to match my Sonora GOld 2003 (will post pics later)

WELL - yes, quality of material was very nice, very sturdy and fit well. Directions sucked (no surprise there) but the BIGGEST issue was they must of had a :censor: MONKEY design the flipping thing. There are damn near 60, YES 60, bolts, and 1/3 of those are IMPOSSIBLE to reach unless you have the hands of a 3 year old. It took me 6 hours and I'm STILL not finished - need to put the mudflaps on tonight.

Next is the Saraha Bar (also powder coated to match) and that is probably this weekend or next week. I think that will be easier, even with the M12,000 installation.

ANYWAY - moral of the story? Get the Slee Rear... Yes, 10x easier to install, sturdier, no lighting crap to deal with, sits higher.... I know now...:doh:

I do like the end result for the most part, but I would have been happier with the Slee...

How about a picture? :)

Hard work, however worth it to have some rear end protection!

ANYWAY - moral of the story? Get the Slee Rear... Yes, 10x easier to install, sturdier, no lighting crap to deal with, sits higher.... I know now...:doh:

That's EXACTLY why I got the Slee.

I thought u were going to be giving away the arb and buy a new slee. thanks for the tease.

cruiser100 - thanks for rubbing it in, sheesh... :flipoff2: :)

hks3sgte - yes, don't get me wrong, it's a HUGE improvement over OEM, NO QUESTION!!!

4life - yep, pics coming tonight :popcorn:

bwbski - as soon as I get rearended it'll be replaced with a Slee!

cruiser100 - thanks for rubbing it in, sheesh... :flipoff2: :)

Anytime. :cheers:

Seriously, as was said above, it's a huge improvement over the Rubbermaid.

wtf, no pictures? you FAIL!

I like the ARB for the look but will probably eventually go with the slee.

Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters posted a pic of the first one he installed. IIRC ARB spec'd out 6-8 hours of labor for install. The box of bolts and accessories was HUGE. It's a nice bumper, really well designed and I like the additional stop lamps. I wouldn't drag it over rocks, but it's great for what it was designed for.

hold on to your Borla there Loud... I went to bed at 2:30AM and had a 6:30AM call today at work. You'll get the picture when I get home and post it up - go do some doughnuts in the snow for a while!! :flipoff2: :)

Pics for you - center piece came out a bit off color, so it's going back to get re-coated. The match was a stock powder coat color and in most light it looks really close to OEM color. In some light it's just a touch off, but I think it looks really good....

Powder Vision in Preston, WA did the work - great guys.

Color matched Sahara bar (color matched hoop as well - no chrome!) and the Warn M12,000 go in sometime soon..
DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

hold on to your Borla there Loud... I went to bed at 2:30AM and had a 6:30AM call today at work. You'll get the picture when I get home and post it up - go do some doughnuts in the snow for a while!! :flipoff2: :)

Sorry we dont get snow in April...its going to be 80+ here today.

Pics for you - center piece came out a bit off color, so it's going back to get re-coated. The match was a stock powder coat color and in most light it looks really close to OEM color. In some light it's just a touch off, but I think it looks really good....

Color matched Sahara bar (color matched hoop as well - no chrome!) and the Warn M12,000 go in sometime soon..

So now that I see this bumper in detailed pictures, I think ill go with a slee, i cant believe i said i actually thought it looked good! But then again, for the price....i guess you cant go wrong

Looks good imho....

I have to agree with Mutley, that bumper has a face that only a mother could love. :) The Slee definitely looks better. I guess I know whick one I will be getting.

Red and Mutley... thus the purpose of this thread... give details so other have ALL the facts to make an informed purchase - oh, and YOU'RE WELCOME..... :flipoff2: ;)

Thanks folks - I like the look as well, maybe not quite as much as I'd like the Slee, sure - but I think it's far from "ugly." But to each his own and the cost was worth it.
Remember, the purpose of this thread is really to teach people the options of getting a rear bumper and learn from others decisions. I guess I'd sum it up by saying I'm content with the outcome - given the price - but all things considered I'd recommend the Slee rear - ESPECIALLY if you are installing yourself as most of us would.

Powder coating HIGHLY RECOMMENDED over painting (and it's CHEAPER!!)- man, they did a great job on the finish - and I dropped a few tools on the back bumper and not even a dent or scratch.

Front - hopefully the Sahara and winch will go on this weekend - maybe...

1 vote here for not ugly at all, just different !! BTW, your rig is Sonora Gold, right? If I'm not mistaken weren't the f&r bumpers OEM color gray ? It would have probably been a lot easier to have stayed with the contrasting color than trying to get a "perfect" match of the S Gold. Still , I like it though and you are probably the only one who would notice the diff in color.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I really like the ARB.... I changed my mind to go for Slee for a few reasons over the ARB.

First, the Slee has the tire in the middle of the rear end. Originally I liked the rear jerry can holder with the spare tire carrier like on the ARB. However I thought..... I don't ever go with JUST ONE spare can of gas, I usually have at least 2-3..... more if I'm on a really long haul trip. Another thing is the cost. The bumper is hellified expensive (ARB) and why do I have to pay $500 more for a tire carrier? Granted the Slee isn't MUCH cheaper......

My real question would be, which provides more rear end protection? That is the most important question.

Thanks twstrchasr - yes, it's Sonora Gold and you bring up a great point with the grey OEM trim. I was orginally going to go with color matched paint, knowing the color would be a perfect match. Then, after looking into it I felt the durability of Powder was 3x, so I went that route. I really wanted a color match though so in looking at about 10 "stock" beige color options I found one that looked exact in most light, and when you move it slightly changes hue. Overall I think it's about a 90% match, not perfect, but most wouldn't notice. Going with a stock powder saved about $250-$300 or more, I'm still not sure if that would have been money well spent... maybe it would have. Going with a contrast color was an option, but I guess I was so set on the match that I didn't give it chance...

4 life - I totally agree with your Tire/Can thoughts. If I ever want to go with a spare on the back (not likely for my purposes...) I'd probably go with a Slee. And yes, rears are HELLA $$$....

My total inhvestment is about $750 in this bumper, and 10 hours of time... considering a Powder Coat to match ARB Rear (no tire carrier) at retail would be $1800+ I am ok with the results (for now...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom