My LC is really slow going uphill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not yet - Still deciding if I should take it in to get looked at or start trying to fix it. There are no codes, no check engine light. I'll probably start by cleaning the MAF sensor and changing the air filter.

From what it sounds like - I should be able to cruise up Parley's at 75mph no problem.

Anyone know how I can check the throttle cable?

How would I check the fuel pump to know it was working properly?
Read through the entire first post in this thread, it'll give you a general idea: Driving w/TPS & APPS Disconnected: Works Fine!

Not yet - Still deciding if I should take it in to get looked at or start trying to fix it. There are no codes, no check engine light. I'll probably start by cleaning the MAF sensor and changing the air filter.

From what it sounds like - I should be able to cruise up Parley's at 75mph no problem.

Anyone know how I can check the throttle cable?

How would I check the fuel pump to know it was working properly?
You’ll need to pressure test the fuel system and make sure its with in spec to know first. Specs are in the FSM. If you dont have the psi guage find a shop that can perform the test for you- but understand the test parameters spec beforehand so you are sold parts or service you dont need.

You can check the throttle cable free play at the throttle body- FSM describes that too, or maybe a quick search will reveal a thread on that here.

As for acheiving your hill climb- have you gone out and tried it manually selecting the gears as previously suggested?

Your post came to mind as I was driving to work today. If my engine isn't up to operating temperature, my 2000LX will not downshift headed up a medium grade hill. It lugs along at around 2200 rpm. Once it's warm, it will drop down a gear and launch right up it. If you are getting a bad engine temperature reading (the ECU doesn't think the engine is warm), you may be stuck in open loop, but the computer wouldn't necessarily throw a code, it would just let you drive around all day (running rich) thinking it was still waiting for the engine to warm up. WHat coolant temp are you seeing?

So I solved the problem with the help of a friend. Using the torque app we figured out flooring it only opened the throttle up to 69 to 70% max. It really bogged on the hills we were going up. The throttle cable was pretty loose and we tightened it up a bit. Then we went to check and see if the gas pedal had any adjustment. That's when we discovered one of the previous owners had installed new floormats over the old ones. You couldn't really floor it with the extra mat down there. Took one mat out and tested it out. The throttle goes up to 82% now and it's able to hit 80mph on hills I could barely get 60mph on. I am a happy camper!

It's like an entirely new truck. I wonder how long it has been like this - I have owned it for almost 18 months now.

Yup! Hopefully lesson learned.
It’s usually the simple, easy things that are way too often overlooked.
That also explains why it wouldn’t down shift.
I asked you on page 2 if your throttle butterfly was fully opening.

Last edited:
So I solved the problem with the help of a friend. Using the torque app we figured out flooring it only opened the throttle up to 69 to 70% max. It really bogged on the hills we were going up. The throttle cable was pretty loose and we tightened it up a bit. Then we went to check and see if the gas pedal had any adjustment. That's when we discovered one of the previous owners had installed new floormats over the old ones. You couldn't really floor it with the extra mat down there. Took one mat out and tested it out. The throttle goes up to 82% now and it's able to hit 80mph on hills I could barely get 60mph on. I am a happy camper!

It's like an entirely new truck. I wonder how long it has been like this - I have owned it for almost 18 months now.
how did you thighten the throtle cable? im having the same issue with my 2000LC on uphill. tnx

how did you thighten the throtle cable? im having the same issue with my 2000LC on uphill. tnx
Take off the engine cover and you'll see the throttle cable on the passenger side of the engine. There are two 14mm nuts that can be loosened to change the slack in the cable - very similar to the cable adjustment on a bicycle. One person stepped on the gas pedal with the engine off while the other inspected to see if the throttle opened up all the way and adjusted the cables accordingly. It took a couple of tries to get it right - first time we took too much slack out and the idle was way too high.

Lucky that extra matt didn't behave like that tragic Toyota high speed incident in San Diego.

For those that forgot, loaner car from dealer, accelerated to high speed w. Family. Driver (off duty CHP) could not stop/control speed. All died.

Traced back to faulty installation of floor mats. Resulted in big recall and redesign.

You are lucky.

Take off the engine cover and you'll see the throttle cable on the passenger side of the engine. There are two 14mm nuts that can be loosened to change the slack in the cable - very similar to the cable adjustment on a bicycle. One person stepped on the gas pedal with the engine off while the other inspected to see if the throttle opened up all the way and adjusted the cables accordingly. It took a couple of tries to get it right - first time we took too much slack out and the idle was way too high.
thank you! it solve the problem my LC runs like a real V8 now.

I removed some of the slack from the throttle cable tonight. I can't wait to test the 100 out on a steep hill tomorrow.

I took it for a quick spin around the block, and seems to idle a little better and throttle seems more responsive.

I noticed when I started the vehicle and while in park it idled at 1k rpm, and dropped to 900 rpm after about 30sec. When in drive at a stop I averaged around 700-750 rpms. Do these numbers seem about right?

I removed some of the slack from the throttle cable tonight. I can't wait to test the 100 out on a steep hill tomorrow.

I took it for a quick spin around the block, and seems to idle a little better and throttle seems more responsive.

I noticed when I started the vehicle and while in park it idled at 1k rpm, and dropped to 900 rpm after about 30sec. When in drive at a stop I averaged around 700-750 rpms. Do these numbers seem about right?

Mine idles at about 700 rpms. Did it work out for you?

Hate to revive this old thread, but mine was doing the same thing today in the mountains. Weird thing is, if I put it on cruise control it down shifts and climbs perfect. If I use the pedal it wont down shift.....I have no idea.

Hate to revive this old thread, but mine was doing the same thing today in the mountains. Weird thing is, if I put it on cruise control it down shifts and climbs perfect. If I use the pedal it wont down shift.....I have no idea.
It's not weird if it's the throttle cable, I wouldn't think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom