Builds My FJC to GX 470 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And finally not GX related but added another Lexus to the family.
86747883-E7AC-42F5-AE11-E0EA345EB168.jpeg
BFF646F9-4114-47AC-9EF7-D967C8A1CB7B.jpeg
AD96B553-13B7-4E14-A395-1DC6B575CFB8.jpeg
159457D9-CCF3-4289-989A-3FA8DCBEA72B.jpeg

As preparations continue for Utah, decided to pull the rear seats and start on a platform for the back. The plan is to create a few cubbies behind the front seats, carpet the back and attach anchor points.
Starting with sheet of 3/4” BC. Cut it to 6’ but may need to take a few more inches off to allow the front seats to recline and adjust as needed.
544AC145-E9E8-4BFE-9034-DFD9DAF38681.jpeg

Made a little progress despite the rain today. Got the storage box and recovery boards mounted mounted to the roof rack. I’m using this mainly for tools, recovery gear, compressor, etc. too dark for pics but will post up tomorrow.
Didn’t want the platform to be a permanent install so tried to keep this as simple as possible. I picked up a few 2” corner brackets and drilled out the existing holes so that I could utilize the M10 bolts from the seats. Ripped a 3 1/2” of scrap plywood and predrilled pocket holes. I then removed the two factory anchor points from the the rear of the GX. The factory holes are M6 so I bought 2 M6 X 1 X 50 and a couple fender washers. I found some outdoor carpet at the local big box store for about $20, and cut and stapled that for some sound deadening.
CC57A75A-6A2F-4142-AE36-F5763BFB312E.jpeg
539D46A1-1115-42E3-A821-BA51CED6C20B.jpeg
71FE6CB4-4D14-40C9-9928-8E3760EA3309.jpeg

I’ll layout the cargo tomorrow and sort where to mount the tie down points. Again, nothing fancy and don’t have much in it, but it will be easy to remove when not needed and have the ability to raise it and add pull out drawers later if needed. It’s difficult to open the rear door with the trailer hooked up so wanted keep this design open and low to maximize space for storing and easy-in / easy-out while traveling.

Still recovering from the trip and getting caught up at work so I’m late reporting on the trip. Had a great time in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Total trip was about 5800 miles and I haven’t tallied the fuel costs yet and probably don’t want to! Trip didn’t go off exactly as planned but it could have been worse. The fuel pump went but luckily it was about 80 miles from home and not in the middle of the desert.

So to add to the list of recent maintenance items, we have a new fuel pump and fuel tank straps. Mine were showing their age and decided it was a good time to do it since we had the tank down.

Great build, I am looking at a high mileage GX and builds like yours really twist my arm to take the plunge. As a former 60, 80, and 100 series owner I have had the prado urge for a while.
Thanks for taking the time to post your adventures.

Maintenance update. While pulling the codes when the fuel pump went, we noticed a code for the SAIS. After installing the pump everything clear out until now. I proactively bought the Hewitt Technologies Gen II bypass kit but procrastinated until now. Great product, easy to follow instructions and not complicated. The most difficult part was getting to the 10mm nuts to be able to install the backer plates. I pretreated with PB blaster for two days beforehand snd luckily they broke loose with snapping or rounding off any. Fired it back up and the codes are gone and we’re back on the road
IMG_4218.jpeg
IMG_4211.jpeg
IMG_4210.jpeg
IMG_4213.jpeg
IMG_4212.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom