My FJ60 rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this 85 FJ 60 in Chicago, It was a 2 owner (13 years each). It was pretty well just driven & poorly maintained FJ. 2nd owner only fixed it when it broke down!! No service to speak of!!!! Maybe changed oil every so often!!!

I felt I must rescue it!!!!

The PO sold it because the clutch/pressure plate replacement was $1850.00 & was pissed at it!!! So it did have a good clutch!!

Items I have completed since I found it 3 months ago!!!!

1. Deluxe OME 2" medium lift from Manafree.
2. New brake system-calipers, rotors, pads, clips, springs, etc on from/Drums, shoes, wheel cyl, springs, etc for rear. Manafree
3. New wheel bearings on rear axles with rebuild gasket set. JT outfitters
4. Steering knuckle rebuild kit-JT outfitters
5. Front wheel bearing kit with all new gaskets-Jt Outfitters
6. New U joints in both driveshafts-Manafree
7. New tie rod/pitman rebuild-JT outfitters
8. New (used) Smitty bilt tube bumpers (front & rear)-Mud member
9. New Tube nerf bars-SOR
10. New deluxe carpet kit-SOR
11. New rear wheel well trim/electrical trim pieces-SOR
12. New Duck seat covers-SOR
13. Safari Snorkel-FJ62 owner
14. Changed all fluids/oils/greases/raditor flush-Midas
15. New power steering pump/gearbox combo-Autozone
16. New marine 1000 amp battery-Ranger boat dealer
17. New pioneer stereo system/speakers=Walmart
18. 2" frame mounted receiver hitch-Craigs list
19. 34"x9.5"x15" Super Swamper tires (narrow)-National Tire
20. Factory chrome wheels (used)-Craigs list
21. Fan belts-SOR
22. Muffler system/complete-Midas
23. Rear hatch struts-McMaster Carr
24. New plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter/air filter-JT outfitters

Items left to complete

25. New FJ60 Carb-American toyota INSTALLED
26. New radiator hoses/oil cooler hoses-American Toyota INSTALLED
27. Install rear hatch window with defroster-Mud member
28. Change out frame-Mud Member(although mine isn't to bad!!)
29. New Coil-American Toyota INSTALLED
30. New fuel pump-American Toyota INSTALLED
31. New emissions check valve (air rail), vacuum lines, emissions tubing-American Toyota & SOR INSTALLED
32. Replace tailgate/rear quarters/repair body rust/paint-parts from Mud members/SOR/local body shop
33. ARB roof rack-Iron pig
34. Trans/transfer bypass hose kit-Mud member/Manafree INSTALLED
35. Rest to be figured out!! :)
36. Batery Cables INSTALLED
37. Starter INSTALLED

I have attached before & after pics of the FJ 60!! I have made 4 road trips in it since most of work was completed!! 2035 mile trip to east coast, 240 mile in state trip, 455 mile trip to OH & back to IL, 615 mile trip to TN & back to IL.

Th Landcruiser runs straight down the road, stops great, rides smooth, very trustworthy road machine!!! Just thought I'd share my info!!!
2011-09-09 08.55.09.jpg
389541_2411739454711_1287994179_32068358_879718519_n.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' good. OME lift and larger tires do so much for a 60/62.

Noticing your rear wheel flaps--can you provide some details? Think I've got a set of original FJ60 flaps, and a set of 4Runner or mini-truck flaps. I like the latter better, but am curious if you home-fabbed yours.

Nope, they are factory Toyota ones that came on the truck!!

Thinking about taking them off once I complete bodywork!!!

man u have completed more in 3 months than i will complete in a 3 years!!!

Very nice! Do you have a picture from the front so I can see how narrow those tires are?

I will post one tomorrow!!! They are definitely narrow!!!!! But dig in the snow/dirt instead of floating on it!!!!

For what it's worth to all thinking of doing some of the items I have completed!!

I have not had any trouble with any of the suppliers on any of the parts!!!!!

JT Outfitters gets hammered on here quite a bit, but I had no issues!! Quality was good too!!

Manafree got me everything in a timely manner & was always very helpful!!!!

SOR has some good products, expensive shipping, but know what you need & usually has excellent used parts if you happen to need something not available new!!!!

American Toyota is a great experience too!!! I will probably buy most of the parts OEM in the future if they are avaiable!!!!! Use the other suppliers for the other items!!! Can't go wrong with OEM!!!

Thx!!!!!! BTW-It is one of the few factory "No Air" models!!!!! Better MPG & less crap to deal with!!!!

Last edited:
Thx!!!!!! BTW-It is one of the few factory "No Air" models!!!!! Better MPG & less crap to deal with!!!!

Wow that is a sweet truck.

What do you mean NO AIR models...do you mean no smog? if so take a picture of under hood for us. And what kind of mpg did you get before the lift, and after the lift?

I am looking at lifting mine a bit and getting a rubber overdrive to help with highway revs and hopefully mpg increase.

I would remove the mud flaps, clean them up and sell them. They hold moisture, mud, snow, and increase the rusting in the fenders in front of them at the bottom of the fender corners.

I like the Smitty built bumpers on your truck, they look good. I had a front and still have the rear. However if you are serious about protecting your truck from dip :censor:t teenage girls on the road you may want to get an ARB or something with more backbone. The 1/8" steel just does not cut if for me. I am going ARB or 3/16+ homebuilt next time.
107_0749.jpg
107_0751.jpg
107_0748.jpg

3 months!?! Wow, looks good.

I've read so many discussions about 33x9.5 tires. From what I've learned they're really not available anymore. How'd you get 34x9.5 tires? I look forward to seeing those straight on. How are they at speed - say 65+?

Thanks for the parts list. I may have to use a bit of control+c to copy that onto my list.

joe

Wally, I saw this truck recently and T is doing a great job with it. The tires look so sexy tall and skinny made me want pizza. I think he stole them off his Hummer :flipoff2:

LOL yea, my Hummer ones are just a little bigger!!!! Pics to follow as soon as I get in!!!!

Here's a pic head on on the tires!!!

I got 18mpg before lift & tires, now I get about 14-15mpg!!! I have another factor affecting that though!! My fuel pump is going out & leaking fuel out the little hole in the rear of the fuel pump!! One on it's way from Beno!!! I'll report back on this!!

I'm going to install NEW carb when I do fuel pump!! Going to change all vacuum lines at same time!!! All my smog stuff works!!!!! Should run like a dream then!!!

My "no air" truck means no AC in an 85!!! It gets way better MPG than one with a compressor!!!

Mud flaps are going!!!! I totally agree that the cause more damage than good!!!!

Bumper stays!!!! I don't need more protection!!! :).

33x9.5x15 tires are available!! I bought 5 delivered from 4x4 magazine!! $1200 including shipping!!!! They handle great at all speeds, even 75mph!!!! That's all the faster she goes right now!!! :-(

FWIW-I had an oil leak earlier!! All it was was loose oil pan bolts!!!! New valve cover, side cover, oil pan gaskets on their way!!!! Oil leaks will be thing of the past!! :). Yea!!!!
image-793836394.jpg

My H1 2 door with my Ranger saltwater boat!! 2 of my favorite toys!!!! I get guys stopping me in the H1, girls in the FJ60!!! Guess what I'm driving daily now!!! lol
image-1501701879.jpg

I have the shifter for you next time your down. I wasn't going to mention it till we were ready to drop the motor in my truck but if your in the area let me know. I will be diving Monterey the first week of Feb but back the 12th.

I'm up for coming over when you drop the motor in!! :) You'll need a supervisor!!! lol

I've even done a few 2f engine rebuilds/installs a couple times!!!!! :)

I'll let you know. Motor is done I just need to pick it up. We will have the t-case finished this weekend and mated to the new h55. I'm guessing the last week of Feb first week of March. Plan is to drive it on my 40th!

Cool, I'm in during that time frame!!!!! After the middle of March, it's saltwater/spring break fishing guiding for a month!!!! Make more $$ in those 5-6 weeks than one should be allowed!!!!! LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom